Testing stimulus timing

Author
Dylonius
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, I will be running a number of tasks based on the Test Library (e.g. Mackworth, NBACK, & ATTN-R) and I would like to double check that the timings for every stimulus and interstimulus interval are being presented with correct durations. 

Does Inquisit have a "log all timings" toggle built-in?  Or would I have to edit the code to add "recorddata" on every stimulus? 

Thanks. 
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
> Does Inquisit have a "log all timings" toggle built-in?

Yes, something like this exists. You can set

<data>
/ audit = true
</data>

which will create an additional file with a *.log extension containing timing information for the various events & stimuli.

If you want a more tailored solution, you'd need to set /recorddata = true in all <trial> elements and additional log the stimulusonset property of every stimulus element to the data file by adding it to the <data> element's /columns attribute, as in

<data>
/ columns = [..., text.sometext.stimulusonset, picture.sometext.stimulusonset, ...]
</data>

You may also want to add various elapsedtime properties (e.g. block.someblock.elapsedtime, etc).

And if you really, really want to audit timing and also take into account the physical characteristics of your equipment (display response times, etc.), you would have to hook up external measurement equipment to the computer(s) (e.g. BlackBox Toolkit, photosensors, and/or record things using a high-speed camera).

Hope this helps.

Dylonius
Dylonius
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks! That is really helpful.  I'll try the first two solutions and hopefully that will be all I need. 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search