Increasing the number of trials in the dot probe paradigm

Author
alexa
Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hello,

I have aquestion concerning the modification of the dot probe paradigm. I am currentlyusing the script of the alcohol DOT PROBE TASK - with images (Katja Borchert,last updated:  08-17-2015). I have donesome modifications – I replaced „alcohol“ with „highcaloric” and „neutral“ with“lowcaloric” because I would like to compare attentional bias to low- and highcaloricfood stimuli. Then, I have changed the name of the items accoding to the nameof my pictures.

I would nowlike to change the DP. Originally, the DP comprises 10 practice trials, 40alcohol/neutral (10*4) trials and 40 filler trials. I would like to keep the 10practice trials and 40 filler trials but do more comparisons betweenhigh/lowcaloric food (instead of 10: 20 pairs of pictures --> 80 trials). I have changed the scriptaccording to my needs and it runs. But when I controlled the rawdata, I haveseen that for example some pictures pairs are presented 3 times, whereas otherpictures pairs 5 times. So I am pretty sure I have done something wrongmodifying the script (1. listing more items (<itemhighcaloricTarget_images>); 2. changing the lists (<listhighcaloricTarget_itemnumbers> <list highcaloricTarget_positions><list highcaloricTargetprobe_congruence>) as well as 3. the parameter <blockImageDotProbeTask>.

Is thereanything more I have to do that the script works the way I want?

Thanks alot for your help!

Best,

Alex

Attachments
DP_20_pairs.iqx (522 views, 42.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
alexa - Thursday, November 17, 2016

Hello,

I have aquestion concerning the modification of the dot probe paradigm. I am currentlyusing the script of the alcohol DOT PROBE TASK - with images (Katja Borchert,last updated:  08-17-2015). I have donesome modifications – I replaced „alcohol“ with „highcaloric” and „neutral“ with“lowcaloric” because I would like to compare attentional bias to low- and highcaloricfood stimuli. Then, I have changed the name of the items accoding to the nameof my pictures.

I would nowlike to change the DP. Originally, the DP comprises 10 practice trials, 40alcohol/neutral (10*4) trials and 40 filler trials. I would like to keep the 10practice trials and 40 filler trials but do more comparisons betweenhigh/lowcaloric food (instead of 10: 20 pairs of pictures --> 80 trials). I have changed the scriptaccording to my needs and it runs. But when I controlled the rawdata, I haveseen that for example some pictures pairs are presented 3 times, whereas otherpictures pairs 5 times. So I am pretty sure I have done something wrongmodifying the script (1. listing more items (<itemhighcaloricTarget_images>); 2. changing the lists (<listhighcaloricTarget_itemnumbers> <list highcaloricTarget_positions><list highcaloricTargetprobe_congruence>) as well as 3. the parameter <blockImageDotProbeTask>.

Best,

Alex

<block ImageDotProbeTask>
/onblockbegin = [values.task = 2]
/trials = [1-120 = noreplace(highcaloric, Filler)]
</block>

Means you sample trials in equal proportions. You'll end up with 60 highcaloric trials and 60 filler trials in random order.

To achieve 80 highcaloric trials

> "40 filler trials but do more comparisons betweenhigh/lowcaloric food (instead of 10: 20 pairs of pictures --> 80 trials)"

you need to specify
/trials = [1-120 = noreplace(highcaloric, highcaloric, Filler)]
alexa
alexa
Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Thursday, November 17, 2016
alexa - Thursday, November 17, 2016

Hello,

Best,

Alex

<block ImageDotProbeTask>
/onblockbegin = [values.task = 2]
/trials = [1-120 = noreplace(highcaloric, Filler)]
</block>

Means you sample trials in equal proportions. You'll end up with 60 highcaloric trials and 60 filler trials in random order.

To achieve 80 highcaloric trials

> "40 filler trials but do more comparisons betweenhigh/lowcaloric food (instead of 10: 20 pairs of pictures --> 80 trials)"

you need to specify
/trials = [1-120 = noreplace(highcaloric, highcaloric, Filler)]
That works perfectly! Thanks a lot!!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search