Randomizing Blocks

Author
Jin
Jin
posted 8 Years Ago HOT
Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

I am creating a task where people watch a series of videos and answer autobiographical questions about themselves. The person is suppose to either see the videos first then the questions, or the questions first then the videos. I have two groups (group A and group B) of videos I want to randomized in terms of the order they appear (i.e. Group A first; Group B first), additionally I want to randomize the type of questions as well (i.e. Video first; Autobiographical questions first).

The issue is that Group A and Group B are presented in a loop where after each video, it branches to the question trial and the question trial branches to the next video. I was able to randomize the type of questions that are presented, but I having difficulties randomizing the groups. Also is there a way to branch the blocks where I do not have to repeat the introduction "NA_Intro" twice before each of the groups? Please advise!

**********Blocks***********

<block Intro>
/ trials = [1=introduction]
</block>

<block NA_A>
/ trials = [1=NA_Intro; 2=group_ANA; 3=group_ANA; 4=group_ANA; 5=group_ANA; 6=group_ANA; 7=group_ANA; 8=group_ANA]
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block NA_B>
/ trials = [1=NA_Intro; 2=group_BNA; 3=group_BNA; 4=group_BNA; 5=group_BNA; 6=group_BNA; 7=group_BNA; 8=group_BNA; 9=group_BNA; 10=group_BNA]
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block AB>
/ trials = [1=AB_Intro; 2=ftr_ab; 3=cur_ab; 4= hap_ab; 5=neu_ab; 6=sad_ab]
</block>

<block trial_end>
/ trials = [1 = trial_end]
</block>

**********Experiment Flow**********
<expt CAMS>
/ blocks = [1=Intro; 2-3=noreplace(NA, AB); 4=trial_end]
</expt>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Jin - Thursday, November 17, 2016
Hi all,

I am creating a task where people watch a series of videos and answer autobiographical questions about themselves. The person is suppose to either see the videos first then the questions, or the questions first then the videos. I have two groups (group A and group B) of videos I want to randomized in terms of the order they appear (i.e. Group A first; Group B first), additionally I want to randomize the type of questions as well (i.e. Video first; Autobiographical questions first).

The issue is that Group A and Group B are presented in a loop where after each video, it branches to the question trial and the question trial branches to the next video. I was able to randomize the type of questions that are presented, but I having difficulties randomizing the groups. Also is there a way to branch the blocks where I do not have to repeat the introduction "NA_Intro" twice before each of the groups? Please advise!

<block Intro>
</block>

<block NA_A>
/ trials = [1=NA_Intro; 2=group_ANA; 3=group_ANA; 4=group_ANA; 5=group_ANA; 6=group_ANA; 7=group_ANA; 8=group_ANA]
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block NA_B>
/ trials = [1=NA_Intro; 2=group_BNA; 3=group_BNA; 4=group_BNA; 5=group_BNA; 6=group_BNA; 7=group_BNA; 8=group_BNA; 9=group_BNA; 10=group_BNA]
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block AB>
</block>

<block trial_end>
</block>

<expt CAMS>
</expt>

Sorry, but it's not quite clear how your description of the various "groups" maps to the code. Please make that connection explicit, i.e., refer to what is what by giving the exact names of the respective elements.

Second, you refer to some branching logic, yet the code excerpt does not include any of that; nothing here matches "The issue is that Group A and Group B are presented in a loop" or makes clear what exactly that means.

Third, your <expt> element references a <block> that does not even exist in the excerpt: There is no <block NA>.

Please clarify.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Dave - Thursday, November 17, 2016
Hi all,

<block Intro>
</block>

<block NA_A>
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block NA_B>
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block AB>
</block>

<block trial_end>
</block>

<expt CAMS>
</expt>

Sorry, but it's not quite clear how your description of the various "groups" maps to the code. Please make that connection explicit, i.e., refer to what is what by giving the exact names of the respective elements.

Second, you refer to some branching logic, yet the code excerpt does not include any of that; nothing here matches "The issue is that Group A and Group B are presented in a loop" or makes clear what exactly that means.

Third, your <expt> element references a <block> that does not even exist in the excerpt: There is no <block NA>.

Please clarify.

What I assume -- with a *lot* of guesswork -- you'll want to do is something like this:

<values>
/ na_bloccount = 0
</values>

<block Intro>
</block>

<block NA>
/ trials = [1=NA_Intro]
/ branch = [list.nablocks.nextvalue]
</block>

<list nablocks>
/ items = (block.na_a, block.na_b)
</list>

<block NA_A>
/ onblockbegin = [values.na_blockcount += 1]
/ trials = [1=group_ANA; 2=group_ANA; 3=group_ANA; 4=group_ANA; 5=group_ANA; 6=group_ANA; 7=group_ANA]
/ recorddata = true
/ branch = [if (values.na_blockcount < 2) list.nablocks.nextvalue]
</block>

<block NA_B>
/ onblockbegin = [values.na_blockcount += 1]
/ trials = [1=group_BNA; 2=group_BNA; 3=group_BNA; 4=group_BNA; 5=group_BNA; 6=group_BNA; 7=group_BNA; 8=group_BNA; 9=group_BNA]
/ recorddata = true
/ branch = [if (values.na_blockcount < 2) list.nablocks.nextvalue]
</block>

<block AB>
</block>

<block trial_end>
</block>

<expt CAMS>
</expt>

Jin
Jin
Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)
Hi all,

<block Intro>
</block>

<block NA_A>
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block NA_B>
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block AB>
</block>

<block trial_end>
</block>

<expt CAMS>
</expt>

Please clarify.

Sorry Dave, I'll attach the script to this thread and you can see for yourself. What I meant by loop was that each "group" is made up of 8-10 videos and that after each video it goes to a question. And from the question it goes to the next video, etc.
Attachments
CAMS 2.1.iqx (244 views, 11.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Hi all,

<block Intro>
</block>

<block NA_A>
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block NA_B>
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block AB>
</block>

<block trial_end>
</block>

<expt CAMS>
</expt>

Please clarify.

Sorry Dave, I'll attach the script to this thread and you can see for yourself. What I meant by loop was that each "group" is made up of 8-10 videos and that after each video it goes to a question. And from the question it goes to the next video, etc.

> Sorry Dave, I'll attach the script to this thread and you can see for yourself. What I meant by loop was that each "group" is made up of 8-10 videos and that after each video it
> goes to a question. And from the question it goes to the next video, etc.

Okay, thanks. But:
#1: Having looked at it, I'm not clear how it relates to the original question about the order of blocks. I.e., why is that "looping" a problem or not what you actually want? If it isn't what you want, what do you want instead?
#2: As for the random grouping of the blocks, you have not commented at https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost20153.aspx

Jin
Jin
Hi all,

<block Intro>
</block>

<block NA_A>
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block NA_B>
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block AB>
</block>

<block trial_end>
</block>

<expt CAMS>
</expt>

Please clarify.

> Sorry Dave, I'll attach the script to this thread and you can see for yourself. What I meant by loop was that each "group" is made up of 8-10 videos and that after each video it

Okay, thanks. But:
#1: Having looked at it, I'm not clear how it relates to the original question about the order of blocks. I.e., why is that "looping" a problem or not what you actually want? If it isn't what you want, what do you want instead?
#2: As for the random grouping of the blocks, you have not commented at https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost20153.aspx

Hi Dave,

I apologize for long correspondence and the confusion of my question. Its hard to translate the issue I'm having into text form... What I need help on is a way to randmonize the video groups (groupA and groupB) and the autobiographical questions, and still keep the video groups together. I tried to layout the randonization options I am trying to get and als othe ones I would not like to get below.

Thank you for your help Dave!

What I would like:
Group A -> Group B -> Autobiographical Questions;
Group B -> Group A -> Autobiographical Questions; 
Autobiographical Questions -> Group B -> Group A;
Autobiographical Questions -> Group A -Group -B

What I would not like:
Group A -> Autobiographical Questions -> Group B
Group B -> Autobiographical Questions -> Group A
Dave
Dave
Jin - Friday, November 18, 2016
Hi all,

<block Intro>
</block>

<block NA_A>
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block NA_B>
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block AB>
</block>

<block trial_end>
</block>

<expt CAMS>
</expt>

Please clarify.

Okay, thanks. But:

Hi Dave,

I apologize for long correspondence and the confusion of my question. Its hard to translate the issue I'm having into text form... What I need help on is a way to randmonize the video groups (groupA and groupB) and the autobiographical questions, and still keep the video groups together. I tried to layout the randonization options I am trying to get and als othe ones I would not like to get below.

What I would like:

What I would not like:

That is exactly what the code at https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost20153.aspx does.

Dave
Dave
Dave - Friday, November 18, 2016
Hi all,

<block Intro>
</block>

<block NA_A>
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block NA_B>
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block AB>
</block>

<block trial_end>
</block>

<expt CAMS>
</expt>

Please clarify.

Okay, thanks. But:

Hi Dave,

What I would like:

What I would not like:

That is exactly what the code at https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost20153.aspx does.

To clarify how I (still) understand your question:

You have two main components:
(1) videos
- separated into two sub-groups (individual blocks) A and B
(2) autobiographical questions
- a single block

You want to randomize the order of the two main components (1) and (2), whereby also randomizing the order of the two sub-groups of the video component (1).

Correct? If so, the block selection logic exemplified at https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost20153.aspx will achieve that.

Jin
Jin
Hi all,

<block Intro>
</block>

<block NA_A>
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block NA_B>
/ recorddata = true
</block>

<block AB>
</block>

<block trial_end>
</block>

<expt CAMS>
</expt>

Please clarify.

Okay, thanks. But:

Hi Dave,

What I would like:

What I would not like:

To clarify how I (still) understand your question:

You have two main components:
(1) videos
- separated into two sub-groups (individual blocks) A and B
(2) autobiographical questions
- a single block

You want to randomize the order of the two main components (1) and (2), whereby also randomizing the order of the two sub-groups of the video component (1).

Correct? If so, the block selection logic exemplified at https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost20153.aspx will achieve that.

Okay! Thank you Dave!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search