Controlling exposure duration, inter-trial and inter-stimulus intervals

Author
mongrel
Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Dave,

I have a question concerning control of timing. I have read this: http://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/howtocontroltiming.htm. However,  I still have questions.

I have only two trials (containing two stimuli) that I would like to be randomly displayed in one block (12 times, replace and repeat). I do not want the participants to respond to anything. One trial should look like this:

Stimulus 1 (1500ms), ISI (100ms), Stimulus 2 (1500ms). Between two trials, I would like to have an ITI of 1500ms.

The second trial should look accordingly but with different stimuli.

Are the pre- and the posttrialpause attributes, what actually gives me the ITI, so do I have to split it on the two? I know, the ISI is controlled by the stimulustimes, but it never seems to works properly. I think, I probably could work with the parameters, but I do not really understand, how.
Further, the block only seems to work, if I use noreplace, which I don't want...

<trial OWpos>
/ stimulustimes = [1000= picture.FocalOW;  1100= picture.USpos]
/ validresponse = (noresponse)
/ posttrialpause = 500
/ trialduration = 4600
</trial>

<trial YMneg>
/ stimulusframes = [1000 = picture.FocalYM; 1100 = picture.USneg]
/ posttrialpause = 500
/ trialduration = 4600
</trial>

<block all>
/ trials = [1-12= noreplace(OWpos, YMneg)]
</block>

Thank you very much in advance,

M.

Edited 7 Years Ago by seandr
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
mongrel - Thursday, December 01, 2016
Hi Dave,

I have a question concerning control of timing. I have read this: http://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/howtocontroltiming.htm. However,  I still have questions.

I have only two trials (containing two stimuli) that I would like to be randomly displayed in one block (12 times, replace and repeat). I do not want the participants to respond to anything. One trial should look like this:

Stimulus 1 (1500ms), ISI (100ms), Stimulus 2 (1500ms). Between two trials, I would like to have an ITI of 1500ms.

The second trial should look accordingly but with different stimuli.

Are the pre- and the posttrialpause attributes, what actually gives me the ITI, so do I have to split it on the two? I know, the ISI is controlled by the stimulustimes, but it never seems to works properly. I think, I probably could work with the parameters, but I do not really understand, how.
Further, the block only seems to work, if I use noreplace, which I don't want...

<trial OWpos>
/ stimulustimes = [1000= picture.FocalOW;  1100= picture.USpos]
/ posttrialpause = 500
/ trialduration = 4600
</trial>

<trial YMneg>
/ stimulusframes = [1000 = picture.FocalYM; 1100 = picture.USneg]
/ posttrialpause = 500
/ trialduration = 4600
</trial>

<block all>
/ trials = [1-12= noreplace(OWpos, YMneg)]
</block>

Thank you very much in advance,

M.

What gives you an "ISI" is displaying a "blank" stimulus at the desired time in /stimulustimes. To implement

> Stimulus 1 (1500ms), ISI (100ms), Stimulus 2 (1500ms).
> Between two trials, I would like to have an ITI of 1500ms.

you do

<trial example>
/ stimulustimes = [0=stimulus1; 1500=ISI; 1600=stimulus2]
/ posttrialpause = 1500
/ trialduration = 4600
/ validresponse = (0)
</trial>

<text stimulus1>
/ items = ("This is stimulus 1")
</text>

<text stimulus2>
/ items = ("This is stimulus 2")
</text>

<shape ISI>
/ shape = rectangle
/ color = white
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</shape>
mongrel
mongrel
Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)
Hi Dave,

thanks for the reply! What actually does set the exposure duration of the second stimulus? The trial-duration?
And if so, I would choose a 3100-duration to ensure that stim1, stim2, and ISI are covered by that duration (1500ms+100ms+1500ms=3100ms), correct? Unfortunately, that is not working,the second stimulus is only presented very shortly.

Here is an example:

<trial DUSneg5>
/ stimulustimes = [0 = picture.D5; 1500 = ISI; 1600 = picture.DUSneg5]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ posttrialpause = 1500
/ trialduration = 3100
</trial>

What am I still doing wrong?

Thanks again!
M.

mongrel
mongrel
Hi again,

for, now, I solved it like this:

<trial DUSneg6>
/ stimulustimes = [1 = picture.D6; 1500 = ISI; 1600 = picture.DUSneg6; 3100 = ISI2]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ posttrialpause = 1500
/ trialduration = 4600
</trial>

Is there a better way?

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
mongrel - Monday, December 05, 2016
Hi Dave,

thanks for the reply! What actually does set the exposure duration of the second stimulus? The trial-duration?
And if so, I would choose a 3100-duration to ensure that stim1, stim2, and ISI are covered by that duration (1500ms+100ms+1500ms=3100ms), correct? Unfortunately, that is not working,the second stimulus is only presented very shortly.

Here is an example:

<trial DUSneg5>
/ stimulustimes = [0 = picture.D5; 1500 = ISI; 1600 = picture.DUSneg5]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ posttrialpause = 1500
/ trialduration = 3100
</trial>

What am I still doing wrong?

Thanks again!
M.

> What actually does set the exposure duration of the second stimulus?

The stimuli are erased when the trial ends / enters its /posttrialpause. /trialduration *includes* /posttrialpause. See the "How to Control Trial Duration and Inter-Trial Intervals" topic in the documentation re. how the various timing components involved in a <trial> relate to each other.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search