Response time measurement

Author
sarahlynmart@gmail.com
Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I want to measure participants' reaction time in response to stimulus onset.  I currently have /beginresponsetime written into the code, and while it does measure reaction time, there is no longer a fixation cross presented after each stimulus' trial (the triangle stimulus just goes into the next stimulus without a fixation cross separating each trial).  I have copied/pasted the triangle trial below so you can give me suggestions on how to measure reaction time AND keep the fixation cross.  Thank you.

<trial triangle>
/ ontrialbegin = [values.category = "triangle"]
/ ontrialbegin = [values.itemnumber = list.triangleitems.nextvalue]
stimulustimes = [0 = fixationcross; 500 = triangle; 1200 = shape.eraser; 1201 = fixationcross]
/stimulustimes = [0 = triangle; 1500 = shape.eraser; 1501 = fixationcross]
/inputdevice = keyboard
/ isvalidresponse = [values.responsekey]
iscorrectresponse = [values.responsekey = 1]
/ beginresponsetime = 0
/ timeout = (values.fixationduration + values.trianglepresentation)
/ posttrialpause = rand(values.iti_min, values.iti_max)
</trial>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
sarahlynmart@gmail.com - Tuesday, January 3, 2017
Hello,

I want to measure participants' reaction time in response to stimulus onset.  I currently have /beginresponsetime written into the code, and while it does measure reaction time, there is no longer a fixation cross presented after each stimulus' trial (the triangle stimulus just goes into the next stimulus without a fixation cross separating each trial).  I have copied/pasted the triangle trial below so you can give me suggestions on how to measure reaction time AND keep the fixation cross.  Thank you.

<trial triangle>
/ ontrialbegin = [values.category = "triangle"]
/ ontrialbegin = [values.itemnumber = list.triangleitems.nextvalue]
stimulustimes = [0 = fixationcross; 500 = triangle; 1200 = shape.eraser; 1201 = fixationcross]
/stimulustimes = [0 = triangle; 1500 = shape.eraser; 1501 = fixationcross]
/inputdevice = keyboard
/ isvalidresponse = [values.responsekey]
iscorrectresponse = [values.responsekey = 1]
/ beginresponsetime = 0
/ timeout = (values.fixationduration + values.trianglepresentation)
/ posttrialpause = rand(values.iti_min, values.iti_max)
</trial>

A <trial>'s default behavior is to terminate / go to the /posttrialpause as soon as a response has occurred. You can modify this behavior via the /responseinterrupt attribute. In your case, you'll probably want to set it to 'frames':

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/language/attributes/responseinterrupt.htm

Note, too, that by default stimuli will be erased when the trial terminates / during /posttrialpause. You can modify this behavior by setting the respective stimulus elements' /erase attributes to 'false'.

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/language/attributes/erase.htm

Also see http://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/howtoerase.htm for an explanation of the erasing behavior.

Beyond that, there are a couple of issues with the <trial> code you posted. (1) You may not have multiple /stimulustimes attributes in a given <trial>, only one. I'm not sure whether one of them is just a remnant of previous edits or if you intend both to work. (2) Both the /isvalidresponse and /iscorrectresponse attributes are not functional in their current state. Here, too, I'm not sure whether that just reflects an early state of development or a genuine mistake.

Edited 7 Years Ago by Dave
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search