Branching to a questionnaire after a certain number of videos played.

Author
Jrp
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

So I have been working on using values, in particular the trial count function, to branch after a certain number of videos played. I have gotten the trial count to properly count the videos, but it still is not branching on the 6th video like I would like it to.

Here is an example of how I have it counting:

<trial beta5>
/stimulustimes = [1=beta5_video]
/validresponse = (57)
/branch = [surveypage.B5]
/timeout = 20000
/ ontrialend=[values.trialcount += 1]
</trial>

Here is my values function: 
<values>
/trialcount = 0
</values>

And here is my branch logic:
<block ASIDE>
/trials = [1= list.beta; 2-12=list.alpha_beta]
/branch = [if(values.trialcount == 6) block.MidASIDESUDS]
</block>

Not sure what I am fdoing wrong. As I mentioned before The counting works properly it just is not branching at the proper time.

Thank you,
jrp  

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Jrp - Tuesday, January 10, 2017
Hello,

So I have been working on using values, in particular the trial count function, to branch after a certain number of videos played. I have gotten the trial count to properly count the videos, but it still is not branching on the 6th video like I would like it to.

<trial beta5>
/validresponse = (57)
/timeout = 20000
</trial>

<values>
/trialcount = 0
</values>

<block ASIDE>
</block>

Not sure what I am fdoing wrong. As I mentioned before The counting works properly it just is not branching at the proper time.

Thank you,
jrp  

A /branch at the <block>-level will execute when the <block> ends, it will not interrupt the <block> when that block still has trials to run (as it does in your case). It seems to me that your /branch logic should actually reside at the <trial>-level, not the <block>-level. In this regard, please note that branches need to remain at the same level, i.e.

- A <trial> can /branch to another <trial>. A <trial> cannot /branch to a <block>.
- A <block> can /branch to another <block>. A <block> cannot /branch to a <trial>.
- A /branch is executed at the *end* of the object it resides in. I.e. a <trial>-level /branch is executed at the end of the <trial> it resides in. A <block>-level /branch is executed at the end of the <block> it resides in.

Hope this clarifies.

Jrp
Jrp
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Dave - Tuesday, January 10, 2017
Hello,

<trial beta5>
/validresponse = (57)
/timeout = 20000
</trial>

<values>
/trialcount = 0
</values>

<block ASIDE>
</block>

Thank you,
jrp  

A /branch at the <block>-level will execute when the <block> ends, it will not interrupt the <block> when that block still has trials to run (as it does in your case). It seems to me that your /branch logic should actually reside at the <trial>-level, not the <block>-level. In this regard, please note that branches need to remain at the same level, i.e.

- A <trial> can /branch to another <trial>. A <trial> cannot /branch to a <block>.
- A <block> can /branch to another <block>. A <block> cannot /branch to a <trial>.
- A /branch is executed at the *end* of the object it resides in. I.e. a <trial>-level /branch is executed at the end of the <trial> it resides in. A <block>-level /branch is executed at the end of the <block> it resides in.

Hope this clarifies.

Hello Dave, 

Thanks for the reply. I knew the block to block bit but I did not know it only went after the trials which presents me with a problem. The survey I have is in block form because it is 7 random trials with their own survey pages. However the videos are needed to be played randomly and not replaced with this one block in the middle. Is there a way to run a block as a trial or in the middle of another block?

Thank you,

jrp
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hello,

<trial beta5>
/validresponse = (57)
/timeout = 20000
</trial>

<values>
/trialcount = 0
</values>

<block ASIDE>
</block>

Thank you,
jrp  

Hope this clarifies.

Hello Dave, 

Thanks for the reply. I knew the block to block bit but I did not know it only went after the trials which presents me with a problem. The survey I have is in block form because it is 7 random trials with their own survey pages. However the videos are needed to be played randomly and not replaced with this one block in the middle. Is there a way to run a block as a trial or in the middle of another block?

Thank you,

jrp

I'm actually wondering whether you need any /branch-ing at all. In other words, why don't you do

<block ASIDE>
/trials = [1= list.beta; 2-6, 14-19=list.alpha_beta; 7-13 = noreplace(...your 7 trials / surveypages from block MidASIDESUDS go here ...)]
</block>

?

Jrp
Jrp
Hello,

<trial beta5>
/validresponse = (57)
/timeout = 20000
</trial>

<values>
/trialcount = 0
</values>

<block ASIDE>
</block>

Thank you,
jrp  

Hope this clarifies.

Hello Dave, 

Thank you,

jrp

I'm actually wondering whether you need any /branch-ing at all. In other words, why don't you do

<block ASIDE>
/trials = [1= list.beta; 2-6, 14-19=list.alpha_beta; 7-13 = noreplace(...your 7 trials / surveypages from block MidASIDESUDS go here ...)]
</block>

?

Hello,

I did not know why I didnt think of that! Thank you so much it worked perfectly!

-jrp
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search