How to Run an Inquisit 5 Experiment on the Web
Inquisit 5 Web allows you to launch your experiments
directly from a web page. If you have purchased a web license, you have the option of launching
expeirments from your own web site or from the millisecond.com web site. In either
case, data are saved by default to the millisecond.com data service where you can
login and download the data files.
If you haven't yet purchased a web license, you can still evaluate Inquisit 5
Web by setting up an experiment on your own web server. When evaluating
Inquisit, you can launch and run scripts as normal, but the data will not be saved.
for more information on registering Inquisit 5 Lab.
for more information on registering Inquisit 5 Web.
Publishing Inquisit scripts on millisecond.com
Hosting your scripts on millisecond.com is the easiest option for those without experience creating and administering web sites. For those with basic web development
skills, this option also includes some support for customizing the launch web page
and subject number assignment method. To publish a script on millisecond.com:
- Write and test your Inquisit script using the Inquisit 5 Lab editor
- Open your web browser and navigate to the millisecond.com web site.
- Select "My Account" from the menu and click the "Register Inquisit Web Scripts"
menu item. If you are not already logged into the site, you will be prompted for
your user name and password.
- Under the "Register Web Scripts" section, click the "Register New Script" link.
This will launch the Inquisit Web Script Wizard
- The first page of the wizard asks whether you wish to host the experiment on millisecond.com
or on your own web server. Select the millisecond.com option. The click the "Browse..."
button and select your script file from your local computer. Click next once you
have specified the script file.
- On the next page you can upload additional files used by the script such as pictures
- Next, select whether you wish to use Inquisit's automatically generated launch page
or your own custom web page. The subsequent steps in the wizard allow you specify
the title, instructions, and how subject id numbers should be generated and assigned
- When you are done, click the Finish button. That's it, your experiment is now online.
You can browse to the launch page using the following url:
where [username] is your user id and [scriptfilename] is the original filename of
- Click the "Start" link to launch your experiment.
Publishing Inquisit scripts on your own web server
Hosting experiments on your own server is an easy if you have access to a web server.
To deploy an Inquisit experiment to your web server, follow these steps:
Write and test your Inquisit script using the Inquisit 5 Lab
editor and tools, or download a script from the
Inquisit Task Library.
- Navigate to your web scripts page at http://www.millisecond.com/myaccount/webscripts.aspx.
- If the status of your web license is "pending", start your web license by clicking the "Start Now" link.
- Click the "Register New Script" link to launch the registration wizard and follow the steps in the wizard.
- On the first page of the wizard, select the option to host the experiment on your own server, and enter the full url to the script file on your server.
- Continue through the wizard specifying the options you'd like for the launch page.
- On the final Summary page of the wizard, click the "Download Launch Page" button and save the html page to your computer. Then click the Finish button.
- Upload your script file and the launch page created above to the location on your web server that you specified when registering the script. If you script uses picture or other media files, be sure to upload those as well.
- Direct participants to the launch web page to start the experiment.