Timed Recall task: Openended versus textbox versus?

Author
Rene Kopietz
Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi there,

I am new to Inquisit and am struggling with what is probably a simple task. Participants are asked to recall something. They have 5 minutes. After 3 Minutes we want to show them a message stating that they should use the full 5 minutes for the task. After 5 minutes the responses should be auto submitted, i.e., Ps should be directed to the next page.

Below you see, what I came up with. I have the following problems. I seem unable to time the separate elements the way I want. The instruction and text area field should be visible from the start. The message only after 3 mins, and the proceed button after 5. However, the way it is now is that the text area field appears together with  the message, not before. The next (proceed) button is also visible as soon as the text field appears and clickable once they entered something. There doesn't seem to be a way to a) time it, or b) completely suppress it

I thought about using a textbox, but couldn't get it to run. Also, it seems to me that I wouldn't be able to use "stimulustimes" in combination with textbox, right? How else could I force people to spend a specific amount of time on an open ended task?

Thanks,

Rene

***Script***

<defaults>

/ fontstyle = ("Verdana", 16pt)

/ inputdevice = mouse

</defaults>

<text message>

/ items = ("Use full 5 minutes.")

/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)

/ position = (50%, 90%)

/ fontstyle = ("Verdana" 16pt true)

</text>

<block description>

/ trials = [1 = descriptionTrial]

</block>

<openended descriptionTrial>

/ stimulustimes = [0=descriptionText; 1000=clickhere]

/ position= (50, 50)

/ charlimit = 100

/ numlines = 5

/ linelength = 50

/ required = true

/multiline = true

/ trialduration = 15000

</openended>

<text descriptionText>

/ size = (50%, 80)

/items = ("Instruction")

/position = (50, 20)

/halign = center

</text>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

#1: You need to display the 'message' stimulus at the desired point in time via the <openended>'s /stimulustimes.

#2: You need to set the <openended>'s /responsetime to zero to enable input prior to the stimulus sequence finishing.

Please see the documentation / language reference for the mentioned attributes for further details.

Rene Kopietz
Rene Kopietz
Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Dave,

thanks for the clarifications; it's working now. Also, a colleague told me how to solve the issue with the next button. Here's what I got.

<defaults>

/ fontstyle = ("Verdana", 16pt)

/ inputdevice = mouse

</defaults>

<text clickhere>

/ items = ("Click here.")

/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)

/ position = (50%, 90%)

</text>

<text message>

/ items = ("Reminder Text")

/ /color = (255, 22, 30)

/ position = (50%, 20%)

</text>

<block description>

/ trials = [1 = descriptionTrial]

</block>

***Alle Zeiten um eine 0 ergänzen.

<openended descriptionTrial>

/ stimulustimes = [0=descriptionText; 18000=message; 30000=clickhere]

/ position= (50, 60)

/ numlines = 25

/ linelength = 180

/ required = true

/ multiline = true

/ trialduration = 30200

/ responsetime = 0

/ iscorrectresponse = [openended.descriptionTrial.latency >= 30000]

/ response = correct

</openended>

<text descriptionText>

/ size = (33%, 80)

/items = ("Instruction Text")

/position = (50, 10)

</text>

However, another colleague send me this solution using the textbox function:

<textbox freeRecall>
/caption = "What do you remember?"
/mask = alphabetic
/required = TRUE
/multiline = TRUE
/textboxsize = (200,100)
</textbox>

<text message>
/items = ("Use full 5 minutes")
/position = (50%, 10%)
</text>

<shape mask>
/shape = rectangle
/size = (500, 25)
/position = (50%, 10%)
/ color = (white)
</shape>

<surveypage test>
/questions = [1 = freeRecall]
/stimulusframes = [300 = message; 350 = mask]
/timeout = 10000
</surveypage>

What exactly is the advantage of using one over the other? Is there any or is it simply personal taste?

Thanks in advance,

Rene

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

What exactly is the advantage of using one over the other?

If you have a typical, repetitive trial-after-trial procedure producing long-format data: use <openended>. If you have the need to collect multiple responses on a single screen and want wide-format data output, use <survey> / <surveypage>.

Is there any or is it simply personal taste?

In some cases, there is no clear demarcation point between the two scenarios sketched above. Then it may be a matter of personal taste.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search