Batching multiple IAT tests, and a Qualtrics Survey

Author
cgshield
Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Our lab is new to inquisit, and we are working on setting up our study.

Basically, what we want to do is create an all in one link that leads the participant to 3 tasks:

1. Race IAT (already made script)
2. New IAT (a script we have just created)
3. Qualtrics Survey

However, we want this to be randomized order for each participant (so not everyone is getting the Race IAT first, etc...) is there a way to accomplish this?  

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Do you only want to counterbalance the order of the two IATs or also the order of the external Qualtrics survey. This matters a great deal.

cgshield
cgshield
Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)
Whatever is the easiest!  The Qualtrics portion is just a demographic survey, so we are not too concerned with the "ordering effects" of that task.  If it is easiest to keep the Qualtrics at the very end (because it would send the participant to another page) that would be fine.  We would just want the randomization to occur between the two types of IAT they will be exposed to.

Thank you for the clarification question.  I just started looking through the huge PDF for inquisit, so we will see what it says about batching too.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Thanks for the clarification. In general, I recommend working through the "How to Interoperate Inquisit with Online Survey Packages" topic in the Inquisit documentation (specifically the use of query parameters is important). The "How to Combine Multiple Scripts" is also useful. The general flow you'll want to use is something along the following lines:

(1) Start with a simple Qualtrics landing page. Let Qualtrics generate its unique participant identifier (you'll want that to be able to easily match collected data between Qualtrics and Inquisit) and have send people to the Inquisit experiment's launch page. Have Qualtrics include the unique identifier as a query parameter *and* another numerical query parameter which you are going to use for condition assignment (i.e., the different order of IAT scripts). In your case, that 2nd parameter should take on values 1 to 4 in equal proportions (you should be able to configure this via Qualtric's quota management, I believe). As far as I am aware, query parameter handling is covered under the term "embedded data" in Qualtrics, but you'll want to check their documentation in case that's changed.

(2) Your launch page must be set up to capture the two query parameters (you do so via the Web Script Wizard). You'll want to use the unique token as subject id and the 2nd numerical parameter as group id. Register the script containing the <batch> elements as your active web script and be sure to upload the actual IAT scripts and all their dependencies in the next step of the Web Script Wizard. The "batch" script should read along the following lines:

<batch>
/ subjects = (1, 2 of 4)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
/ file = "IAT_A.iqx"
/ file = "IAT_B.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (3, 4 of 4)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
/ file = "IAT_B.iqx"
/ file = "IAT_A.iqx"
</batch>

To launch, for example, the second order (IAT_B first), Qualtrics should forward participants to

http://research.millisecond.com/username/mybatch.web?mysubjectid=someuniquetoken&mygroupid=3
or

where 'mysubjectid' is the unique participant identifier and 'mygroupid' determines the order of files to serve. You'll probably want to use both an odd and an even group id (here 3 and 4) to refer to a given order of files because the IAT scripts themselves *also* use the group number to do condition assignment (i.e., determine the order of blocks; compatible first vs incompatible first as determined by even vs odd group ids).

Note that in the scenario sketched above, the order of blocks would be identical in both IATs. If you wanted to avoid that, you'd have to make additional changes to the IAT scripts.

(3) Finally, via the Web Script Wizard, have Inquisit redirect your participants back to Qualtrics. Have Qualtrics pick up where it left off, serving the demographics questionnaire.

All of this sounds more complicated than it actually is. I thus recommend just giving it a try.

cgshield
cgshield
It does sound complicated, but I'll work through it and see if I can get it to do what I want for this study, Stay tuned!

Thanks

cgshield
cgshield
Okay, so I am unable to get Qualtrics to work the way I want it to (not sure if we have restrictions in our University or not) but I cannot find a way to get participants to be sent to a new page.

So we've just decided to give our participants two links, one to the Qualtrics to do the consent form and demographic survey, then send them a link to the IAT web to have them complete the two IAT's.  They will use the response ID from Qualtrics to fill out the IAT's so we can match the two up.

SO, now I am just trying to take two IAT scripts (one that I made, and one pre-made one) and put them together in one script for a WEB version.  I want to randomize which IAT the participant gets first.

I'm looking at the user guide...should I be doing the section titled: "How to Combine Multiple Scripts"? And the <batch> element says that the randomization limitation is planned to be fixed in a future release...has that been updated?  It looks a lot easier than the <include> element...so I'd prefer to try that if the newest release has that updated.

Thank you!

Dave
Dave
You can randomize via the <batch> element's /groupassignment attribute:

<batch>
/ file = "script1.iqx"
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ groupassignment = random
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "script2.iqx
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
/ groupassignment = random
</batch>

That's all there is to it.

cgshield
cgshield
Thank you, you are superbly helpful!

I'm a 2nd year graduate student, so working with this stuff is new and definitely overwhelming at times.

So basically I will create a whole new file with JUST the batch element and upload that onto the web, then upload each script (1 and 2) on the web too?

I need to purchase the additional web license still, so I cannot fully test this until that is purchased.

Dave
Dave
> So basically I will create a whole new file with JUST the batch element and upload that onto the web, then upload each script (1 and 2) on the web too?

Yes, that's precisely correct. The file containing the <batch> elements is the one you register as your active script during the 1st step in the Web Script Wizard, in the 2nd step you upload the two "actual" scripts and supporting files (e.g pictures).

cgshield
cgshield
Also, I assume I replace the names "script1.iqx" & "script2.iqx"  in the batch element you sent me with what I have named my scripts ("Pain_iat_short", Race_iat_short)?  OR do I need to rename my scripts saved on my computer with those names (script2.iqx, script1.iqx)?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search