HELP!! IAT with mixed pictures and text?

Author
katek
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I am new to Inquisit and so I have been trying to create a script by changing some of the sample scripts to fit my experiment instead of starting from scratch. However there is not a script that is quite like what I am trying to do and I keep getting error messages.

Here is what I am trying to do:
I want an IAT with two attributes and two targets, both with mixed picture and text stimuli. The issue seems to be with creating targets with both picture and text stimuli, I haven't seen any samples with this in them. 

Here is some of the script for the stimuli:
<item attributeAlabel>
/1 = "Democrats"
</item>

<item attributeAText>
/1 = "Liberal"
/2 = "Left Wing"
/3 = "Democrat"
</item>

<item attributeAPictures>
/1 = "dem-donkey.gif"
</item>

<item attributeBlabel>
/1 = "Republicans"
</item>

<item attributeBText>
/1 = "Conservative"
/2 = "Right Wing"
/3 = "Republican"
</item>

<item attributeBPictures>
/1= "rep-elephant.gif"
</item>

<item targetAlabel>
/1 = "American"
</item>

<item targetAText>
/ 1 = "USA"
/ 2 = "America"
</item>

<item targetAPictures>
/ 1 = "us-flag.jpg"
/ 2 = "us-map.jpg"
</item>

<item targetBlabel>
/1 = "Foreign"
</item>

<item targetBText>
/ 1 = "UK"
/ 2 = "Foreign"
</item>

<item targetBPictures>
/ 1 = "fo-flag.gif"
/ 2 = "fo-map.png"
</item>

Here are the error messages I have been getting:
text.targetAText items Could not locate item 'targetA'.
text.targetBText items Could not locate item 'targetA'.
trial.targetAleft stimulusframes Could not locate element 'targetA'. 

I have tried editing some of the script in the trials and blocks, I feel like it is somewhere in there that I need to change some more stuff. 

Does anyone with some more experience with inquisit have some ideas on what I am doing wrong/what I need to do to allow it let me have two targets with mixed picture and text stimuli? 

Thanks so much for your help!! It is greatly appreciated!!

Kate

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
#1: The easiest solution from a scripting standpoint is to simply use pictures displaying your "text" stimuli (see the attached JPG).

#2: If you don't want that, see the "Single Target Picture and Text IAT" script available at https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/IAT/ as an example of how to mix <picture> and <text> stimuli.
Attachments
love.jpg (896 views, 20.00 KB)
katek
katek
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks for your response. However, I have been basing my script off of the Single Target Picture and Text IAT and still having issues. I think the trouble comes up when I try to differentiate the targets into picture and text stimuli. I have two attributes and two targets and both the attributes and the targets have picture and text stimuli. Do you know of any scripts that already have this? I can't seem to find one and I haven't been able to correctly edit one without getting error messages when I try to run it after changing things. Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Why don't you simply go for option #1 outlined in my previous reply? There is virtually no programming / major editing necessary in this case.

I cannot say anything useful as to the errors you are getting since you have neither shared your script nor the error messages encountered. However, the script I referred you to, should provide sufficient guidance. There is no significant difference between a single-target and a "regular" IAT. In both cases, if you want to "mix" stimuli (text and pictures), you need to set up separate elements -- <picture> elements for the picture targets or attributes, <text> elements for the text targets and attributes, etc.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search