ID Number length

Author
cgshield
Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We have a 2-month license, so I don't want to start the clock ticking until I am absolutely ready to go.  

So, can anyone answer how long an ID number can be?  We are having participants routed from Qualtrics to IAT, but they will need to input (copy and paste) their ID number that was supplied to them by Qualtrics in the first field of the IAT on Milliseconds so we can link up the two pieces of data.  The ID number provided by Qualtrics is a little long, do you think it would work?  It appears to be 17 characters:  R_b7xEoy1vgBr4qdT

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
The length of the ID is not a problem. However, you should consider passing said ID in via an URL query parameter instead of having people manually copy / paste it (too error prone). You will find use of query parameters covered in the "How to Interoperate Inquisit Web with Online Survey Packages" topic in the Inquisit documentation.

On the Qualtrics-side, query parameters are handled under the term "embedded data". Details, I'm sure, are available in the Qualtrics documentation or via their other dedicated support options.

cgshield
cgshield
Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)
Thanks! 

I'll look into it, I have been trying to figure out how to link them to the Milliseconds page but by using the specific ID so we can actually link the two separate pieces of data, and I just don't know enough about Qualtrics or Milliseconds to feel totally comfortable that I am doing it correctly.  Honestly, on Qualtrics I could only find a way to insert the Response ID as part of the end of survey.  If I had it redirect to the Milliseconds URL it appears as though it is not customizable to include the ID in that transition from one to the other.

I'll see if our campus provides one-on-one meetings with someone that knows Qualtrics though. Thanks!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
cgshield
cgshield
WOW, I think that worked!  I would have never found that help page because I wouldn't have been searching for "API Integration" haha

There was not a lot of customization options where it says "Link participant to another URL" and I didn't see anywhere to embed data (or the piped text) so I assumed I couldn't do it.  I didn't know you just typed the "piped" text at the end of the URL.

It appears to have worked, the URL looks like this once I finished taking the survey:

"http://research.millisecond.com/cgshield/Painiatshort.web?ID=R_9YLwyBqhxAIQEtL"

Do you agree that it appears to have worked?  I'm just so nervous that I'll end up with a bunch of data and no way to link the two pieces together (and alas no Master's Thesis will be written)

I'll have to test once I start my 2-month license, but I want to be as close as possible to "ready" before I start my license.  THANKS- you deserve a raise ;)

Dave
Dave
> Do you agree that it appears to have worked?

Looks fine to me.
cgshield
cgshield
Ok Dave, one more challenge for you then!

After they complete the whole deal (Qualtrics and Milliseconds) I want to send them back to a NEW Qualtrics survey where they can fill out their personal information to receive a giftcard.  Understandably, I do not want their Response ID attached to this because I want their name to be completely separate from their previous responses.

I know that I can just put the URL for the new Qualtrics survey as the ending page for the Milliseconds when I upload the script...but the user support docs make it sound like it will automatically attach the response ID. Anyway around this?

"There is no need to specify the subject id in the Finish Page url. Inquisit will automatically
append the id using the same query parameter that it found when the subject arrived at the
Inquisit launch page."

Dave
Dave
Challenge accepted.

> I know that I can just put the URL for the new Qualtrics survey as the ending page for the Milliseconds when I upload the
> script...but the user support docs make it sound like it will automatically attach the response ID. Anyway around this?

#1: Do not specify a finish page when uploading the script. Leave it at the default.

#2: Specify the desired finish page URL (sans any query parameter) *in the Inquisit script* via the <defaults> element's /finishpage attribute.

Query parameter be gone.

(Alternatively: Simply have your 2nd Qualtrics survey ignore / not log any incoming query string, i.e., the participant ID)

Edited 10 Years Ago by Dave
cgshield
cgshield
Oh, that would be easier to go through Qualtrics I think. I don't like messing with my IAT "syntax" too much since it took me so long to get it working the way I wanted it to in the first place :) Plus we will have two IAT's that are randomized so I don't know which one they will be taking first/last.

I think I figured it out in Qualtrics, but I'll run some tests to be sure.  SMART thinking :)

cgshield
cgshield
I am uploading my scripts, and for Choose how subject ids should be generated, I selected "URLQuery Parameter"  but then I'm not sure what answer to provide for:
"enter the name of url query parameter that contains the subject id"

I tried the link that I am putting at the end of my Qualtrics survey that directs them to milliseconds- and it is not working:

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search