Assigning participants to condition based on sexual orientation

Author
TEVH
Associate Member (246 reputation)Associate Member (246 reputation)Associate Member (246 reputation)Associate Member (246 reputation)Associate Member (246 reputation)Associate Member (246 reputation)Associate Member (246 reputation)Associate Member (246 reputation)Associate Member (246 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,

I'm relatively new to Inquisit and I'm trying to simulate a Tinder-like environment in which participants can indicate whether they like a person or not based on picture stimuli. To that end, I need to match the stimuli with participants' sexual orientation (i.e., a heterosexual female participant or a homosexual male participant should only be presented with pictures of men). I guess this means that I need to assign participants to one of two conditions (pictures of men versus pictures of women), which is why I've sorted pictures of men and women into separate <item> elements.
However, I would rather avoid asking participants directly/face-to-face in our lab what their sexual orientation is because of the sensitive nature of such a question, and so I can't use the '/groupassignment' attribute and enter a group number manually. Instead, I'd like to add a question at the start of the experiment that asks them about their sexual orientation, and then automatically redirect them to the right condition. And so, my question is the following:

Can I present participants with the stimuli that corresponds to their sexual preference (which is indicated by the answer to a question at the start of the experiment)? Perhaps something with the <include> element, using the '/precondition' attribute?

Thank you so much for your time!

P.S. - I currently have Inquisit 4, but I could upgrade to Inquisit 5 if necessary.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Neither <include> nor /groupassignment are the way to go here.

Your options are to either

(1) set up separate <block>s for male vs. female and use /skip to only run the applicable ones, or

(2) Use <list> representing the different item numbers for male vs. female stimuli and sample from the appropriate list based on the indicated sexual orientation.

<values>
/ itemnumber = 1
</values>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1=orientationpage; 2-5=mytrial]
</block>

<surveypage orientationpage>
/ questions = [1=iam; 2=lookingfor]
</surveypage>

<dropdown iam>
/ caption = "I am a"
/ options = ("man", "woman")
</dropdown>

<dropdown lookingfor>
/ caption = "looking for"
/ options = ("men", "women")
</dropdown>

<trial mytrial>
/ ontrialbegin = [if (dropdown.lookingfor.response == "men") values.itemnumber = list.maleitems.nextvalue else
    values.itemnumber = list.femaleitems.nextvalue; ]
/ stimulusframes = [1=stimulus]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<list maleitems>
/ items = (1,2,3,4)
</list>

<list femaleitems>
/ items = (5,6,7,8)
</list>

<text stimulus>
/ items = myitems