Changing Color of One Word in INSTRUCTIONS

Author
hspixley
Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I have searched several forums, the help manual, etc., and also asked a few people in my Lab who have previously used Inquisit - I'm so sorry if this has been posted before.

Is it possible to change one word in a line of instructions to be a different color?

EXAMPLE:

If you make an error, you will see a red X.

(I would like the X itself to appear in red).

I've tried creating a text element and making it the same font as the default, but making the txcolor = red, but I get this when the task runs:
If you make an error, you will see a red <text.redX>.

I also tried to use html inline with the sentence, but it produces an error.

Thank you, Everyone.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
No, you cannot have a single word in a <text> element's /item have a different color than the rest of the item. /txcolor applies to all items of the <text> element in their entirety.

Neither is it possible to have such formatting in a simple instruction <page>.

Your options are:

- Use <htmlpage> instead of <page>. You need to set up a HTML file that is formatted to your liking.
- Use standard <text> and <trial> elements to display your instructions. For text that you want formatted differently, you need to set up and display separate <text> elements.
- Use a standard <picture> and <trial> element to display your instructions. Create the layout / formatting you want in your preferred word processor, take a screenshot and display the resulting image.

hspixley
hspixley
Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)Partner Member (941 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you so much for these suggestions.  I might go with the screen-shot option, since we have a version of the IAT in iPad that displays those words in color.

Related Question:  Is it possible to change the color of an expression?

In the example below, I would want DEATH and LIFE to appear in YELLOW.

<item instructions>
/ 1 =  "                   Block 1 of 7

During this part of the task, tap the (E) key for <%expressions.grouponedeath%> related words.  Tap the (I) key for <%expressions.grouponelife%> related words.

If you make a mistake, a red 'X' will appear.  Tap the other key to continue.

GO AS FAST AS YOU CAN while making as few mistakes as possible."
</item>

****************************************************************************************************
general instruction expressions: adjust the instruction text depending on device used to run script
****************************************************************************************************
<expressions>
/grouponedeath = if (script.groupid == 1) {"DEATH";} else {"LIFE";}
/grouponelife = if (script.groupid == 1) {"LIFE";} else {"DEATH";}
</expressions>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
> Related Question:  Is it possible to change the color of an expression?

No. An expression has no color. The expression is evaluated by the <text> element that displays the item containing the inline expression. It's that <text> element's color settings that determine how those items are displayed and the limitations mentioned previously apply: A <text> element has a single color, etc. and it is not possible to have single words or letters in some of its items have different formatting than the others.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search