Can a survey response be used to trigger display logic in a trial or block

Can a survey response be used to trigger display logic in a trial or...
Author
Marguerite
Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello 

I'm trying to come up with an interactive "game" where participants are able to vote off other "players". The other players are all pre-recorded, so what I would like is for the video that displays which player gets voted off matches who the participant voted for in a previous round. So in the attached inquisit script, the vote in block8 would determine which video plays in block9.

Is there a way to create if-then statements for the trials or blocks?

Kind Regards

Attachments
golden balls 2017.iqx (416 views, 4.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Marguerite - Friday, November 17, 2017
Hello 

I'm trying to come up with an interactive "game" where participants are able to vote off other "players". The other players are all pre-recorded, so what I would like is for the video that displays which player gets voted off matches who the participant voted for in a previous round. So in the attached inquisit script, the vote in block8 would determine which video plays in block9.

Kind Regards

Sure. You need videos that correspond to all possible vote results. Define those as <video round1votes> items.

<video round1votes>
/ items = ("player1out.mp4", "player2out.mp4", "player3out.mp4", ...)
/ select = values.outvoted
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (50, 50)
</video>

Set up a global variable

<values>
/ outvoted = 1
</values>

and use that variable for the video selection. Finally, set that variable to the proper value depending on the response in the <surveypage>:

<surveypage vote1>

/ ontrialend = [ if (checkboxes.pvote1.checked.1 == true) values.outvoted = 1]
/ ontrialend = [ if (checkboxes.pvote1.checked.2 == true) values.outvoted = 2 ]
</surveypage>

Marguerite
Marguerite
Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)
Dave - Friday, November 17, 2017
Hello 

Kind Regards

Sure. You need videos that correspond to all possible vote results. Define those as <video round1votes> items.

<video round1votes>
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (50, 50)
</video>

Set up a global variable

<values>
/ outvoted = 1
</values>

and use that variable for the video selection. Finally, set that variable to the proper value depending on the response in the <surveypage>:

<surveypage vote1>

</surveypage>

This is great, thank you. I was wondering how we could program a cumulative effect for this. 

So if we have 3 rounds, we would want the options revealed in each subsequent round to reflect each of the earlier decisions. Could this be done with something like

<surveypage vote3>
/ ontrialend = [ if (checkboxes.pvote1.checked.1 == true) & (checkboxes.pvote2.checked.1 == true) values.outvoted3 = 1]
/ ontrialend = [if (checkboxes.pvote1.checked.1 == true) & (checkboxes.pvote2.checked.2 == true) values.outvoted3 = 2]
</surveypage>
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Marguerite - Thursday, November 23, 2017
Hello 

Kind Regards

<video round1votes>
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (50, 50)
</video>

Set up a global variable

<values>
/ outvoted = 1
</values>

<surveypage vote1>

</surveypage>

This is great, thank you. I was wondering how we could program a cumulative effect for this. 

So if we have 3 rounds, we would want the options revealed in each subsequent round to reflect each of the earlier decisions. Could this be done with something like

<surveypage vote3>
/ ontrialend = [ if (checkboxes.pvote1.checked.1 == true) & (checkboxes.pvote2.checked.1 == true) values.outvoted3 = 1]
/ ontrialend = [if (checkboxes.pvote1.checked.1 == true) & (checkboxes.pvote2.checked.2 == true) values.outvoted3 = 2]
</surveypage>

Yes, you can absolutely do this, although I'm not sure why you would need separate variables for each round. You should be able to simply use the same ones (values.outvoted) for each round.

Marguerite
Marguerite
Dave - Thursday, November 23, 2017
Marguerite - Thursday, November 23, 2017
Hello 

Kind Regards

<video round1votes>
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (50, 50)
</video>

Set up a global variable

<values>
/ outvoted = 1
</values>

<surveypage vote1>

</surveypage>

<surveypage vote3>
</surveypage>

Yes, you can absolutely do this, although I'm not sure why you would need separate variables for each round. You should be able to simply use the same ones (values.outvoted) for each round.

Thanks, very helpful.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search