counterbalancing with web delivery

Author
Paul Lattimore
Associate Member (126 reputation)Associate Member (126 reputation)Associate Member (126 reputation)Associate Member (126 reputation)Associate Member (126 reputation)Associate Member (126 reputation)Associate Member (126 reputation)Associate Member (126 reputation)Associate Member (126 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I'm using Single target IAT based on script available in millisecondlibrary. I will run it on web so I need to figure out how to counterbalance allocation to compatible and incompatible categories. The current PC based script does this by assigning group number (1,2) on start-up. That's fine if you are sitting beside the participant. Participants will be promted via wb delivery to enter 8-digit alphanumeric ID.
 Can anyone tell me how I would write the counterbalancing into the script or use some other means to ensure even allocation.
Thanks,
Paul
The script is currently set for PC platform as follows:

Groupassignment is done by groupnumber

<expt>
/subjects = (1 of 2)
/groupassignment = random
/ blocks = [1=practice_compatibletest; 2=compatibletestinstructions; 3=compatibletest;
 4=practice_incompatibletest; 5=incompatibletestinstructions; 6=incompatibletest; 7=summary]
/onexptend = [values.completed = 1]
</expt>

<expt>
/subjects = (2 of 2)
/ blocks = [1=practice_incompatibletest; 2=incompatibletestinstructions; 3=incompatibletest;
4=practice_compatibletest; 5=compatibletestinstructions; 6=compatibletest; 7=summary]
</expt>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Paul Lattimore - Tuesday, March 6, 2018
Hi,
I'm using Single target IAT based on script available in millisecondlibrary. I will run it on web so I need to figure out how to counterbalance allocation to compatible and incompatible categories. The current PC based script does this by assigning group number (1,2) on start-up. That's fine if you are sitting beside the participant. Participants will be promted via wb delivery to enter 8-digit alphanumeric ID.
 Can anyone tell me how I would write the counterbalancing into the script or use some other means to ensure even allocation.
Thanks,
Paul
The script is currently set for PC platform as follows:

Groupassignment is done by groupnumber

<expt>
/subjects = (1 of 2)
/ blocks = [1=practice_compatibletest; 2=compatibletestinstructions; 3=compatibletest;
 4=practice_incompatibletest; 5=incompatibletestinstructions; 6=incompatibletest; 7=summary]
</expt>

<expt>
/subjects = (2 of 2)
/ blocks = [1=practice_incompatibletest; 2=incompatibletestinstructions; 3=incompatibletest;
4=practice_compatibletest; 5=compatibletestinstructions; 6=compatibletest; 7=summary]
</expt>

<expt>
/subjects = (1 of 2)
</expt>

<expt>
/subjects = (2 of 2)
</expt>

The condition assignment in the code you posted is _not_ done by group number. It is set to random, i.e. the condition assignment is basically like a coin toss, and the condition administered is unrelated to either the participant's subject id or her/his group number. If you want condition assignment based on group number, you should do

<expt>
/subjects = (1 of 2)
/groupassignment = groupnumber
</expt>

<expt>
/subjects = (2 of 2)
/groupassignment = groupnumber
</expt>

To ensure approximately even assignment to conditions on the web, then, select e.g. sequentially generated group numbers in the web experiment's settings when you upload and configure the script.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search