avoid flicker between (response) trials

Author
juliane_d
Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,

I am programming an approach-avoidance task in which participants receive visual response feedback - e.g. the background image and stimulus size changes to create the impression of approaching or dtsiancing themselves from the stimulus (by moving within a virtual room)
Unfortunately, the beginning of each trial always comes with a short flicker which highly disturbs the desired visual illusion. this seems to only happen, when i use an image for the background, not when I use shapes defined within inquisit, so it may be related to the loading time of the image (?).
Any idea what I can do to avoid this?

Many thanks!
Juliane

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
juliane_d - Thursday, March 8, 2018
Hi there,

I am programming an approach-avoidance task in which participants receive visual response feedback - e.g. the background image and stimulus size changes to create the impression of approaching or dtsiancing themselves from the stimulus (by moving within a virtual room)
Unfortunately, the beginning of each trial always comes with a short flicker which highly disturbs the desired visual illusion. this seems to only happen, when i use an image for the background, not when I use shapes defined within inquisit, so it may be related to the loading time of the image (?).

Many thanks!
Juliane

This sounds like some of your stimulus elements displayed during the trial is not set to /erase = false, thus causing the flicker.

juliane_d
juliane_d
Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)
Dave - Thursday, March 8, 2018
juliane_d - Thursday, March 8, 2018
Hi there,

Many thanks!
Juliane

This sounds like some of your stimulus elements displayed during the trial is not set to /erase = false, thus causing the flicker.

that was it!
thanks for the quick help!!!

anon8127365
anon8127365
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
I know that the problem was already solved, but it did not work for me (Using inquisit 5), so I tried some stuff out and it turns out that if you do this that it fixes the problem completely. 
<trial x>
/ stimulusframes = [
1 = firststim
1 = secondstim
1 = thirdstim
]
</trial>

Just wanted to post this in case the previous answer did not work (I am super new at this, so it may be that this is really obvious, but I posted just in case).

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search