Modifying the Corsi task's DATA element to record more data

Author
Rob Morton
Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello everyone!  :)

I'd be grateful for any advice regarding modifying the DATA element of the Corsi Block Tapping task.  A colleague has asked me to create a version of the Corsi task that, instead of highlighting the blocks in yellow, flashes an image of a face on the blocks.  There are three faces to appear on the blocks at random, a happy face, a neutral face and an angry face.

My issue is that I can't work out a way of getting the task's DATA element to record which faces are shown.
I've added the faces as an ITEM:

<item faces>
/1 = "neutral.bmp"
/2 = "angry.bmp"
/3 = "happy.bmp"
</item>
which is referenced by the "picture" elements that highlight the blocks in sequence.  The task is working as intended, it's just recording which faces are shown on the blocks in the DATA which is eluding me.

Any help or advice is gratefully received,

Rob

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Rob Morton - Thursday, March 8, 2018

I'd be grateful for any advice regarding modifying the DATA element of the Corsi Block Tapping task.  A colleague has asked me to create a version of the Corsi task that, instead of highlighting the blocks in yellow, flashes an image of a face on the blocks.  There are three faces to appear on the blocks at random, a happy face, a neutral face and an angry face.

My issue is that I can't work out a way of getting the task's DATA element to record which faces are shown.

<item faces>
/1 = "neutral.bmp"
/2 = "angry.bmp"
/3 = "happy.bmp"
</item>
which is referenced by the "picture" elements that highlight the blocks in sequence.  The task is working as intended, it's just recording which faces are shown on the blocks in the DATA which is eluding me.

Rob

You can log the respective <picture> elements' currentitem and their respective hposition and vposition properties to the data file. That should give you the desired info.

Rob Morton
Rob Morton
Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)Partner Member (616 reputation)
Dave - Thursday, March 8, 2018

<item faces>
/1 = "neutral.bmp"
/2 = "angry.bmp"
/3 = "happy.bmp"
</item>

Rob

You can log the respective <picture> elements' currentitem and their respective hposition and vposition properties to the data file. That should give you the desired info.

Thanks Dave. 

Rob Morton
Rob Morton

<item faces>
/1 = "neutral.bmp"
/2 = "angry.bmp"
/3 = "happy.bmp"
</item>

Rob

I had actually investigated using "currentitem" but it is the items called by the picture elements that I need to capture and "currentitem" does not apply to those, if you see what I mean.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Rob Morton - Friday, March 9, 2018

<item faces>
/1 = "neutral.bmp"
/2 = "angry.bmp"
/3 = "happy.bmp"
</item>

Rob

I had actually investigated using "currentitem" but it is the items called by the picture elements that I need to capture and "currentitem" does not apply to those, if you see what I mean.

Sorry, no, I',m not sure what you mean, I'm afraid. If you have a <picture element> like

<picture mypicture>
</picture>

then

<data>
/ columns = [... picture.mypicture.currentitem ...]
</data>

will capture the item displayed by that <picture> element in the given trial.

I obviously cannot comment specifically on your modified Corsi code, because I simply don't have it.

Rob Morton
Rob Morton

Thanks again for your help Dave, much appreciated. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search