Verbal simple reaction time

Author
Anadepte
Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I am using Inquisit 5 for the first time and I am looking for the possibility of recording verbal reaction times.
I am conducting a clinical project with a dual task paradigm, in which the primary task is a standard medical procedure, and the secondary task should be a simple reaction time test, with verbal response. Therefore I need a simple reaction time test, similar to the one in Inquisit library, but with the recording of verbal ("voicekey") response instead of pressing the space bar on the keybord.

Anyone can help?

I guess it is not a difficult case, but I ha ve never used Inquisit before and I couldn't modify the script of the Simple Reaction Time test in the library for my purpose.

Thank you very much.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Anadepte - Friday, April 6, 2018
Hello,

I am using Inquisit 5 for the first time and I am looking for the possibility of recording verbal reaction times.
I am conducting a clinical project with a dual task paradigm, in which the primary task is a standard medical procedure, and the secondary task should be a simple reaction time test, with verbal response. Therefore I need a simple reaction time test, similar to the one in Inquisit library, but with the recording of verbal ("voicekey") response instead of pressing the space bar on the keybord.

Anyone can help?

I guess it is not a difficult case, but I ha ve never used Inquisit before and I couldn't modify the script of the Simple Reaction Time test in the library for my purpose.

Thank you very much.

Happy to help -- but what specifically are you having trouble with / what specific questions do you have re. modifying, for example, the Simple Reaction Time library script for voice input?

Anadepte
Anadepte
Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)Partner Member (852 reputation)
Dave - Friday, April 6, 2018
Hello,

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Happy to help -- but what specifically are you having trouble with / what specific questions do you have re. modifying, for example, the Simple Reaction Time library script for voice input?

Thank you Dave! Yes, I'd like the Simple Reaction Time presents in the library but with the voice input response. Becasue of my first time with Inquisit, I found difficulties with the script "voicekey" instead of keyboard.
Thank you!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Anadepte - Friday, April 13, 2018
Hello,

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Thank you Dave! Yes, I'd like the Simple Reaction Time presents in the library but with the voice input response. Becasue of my first time with Inquisit, I found difficulties with the script "voicekey" instead of keyboard.
Thank you!

Taking the visual SRTT as example, change <trial SRTT> to

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [
    if (parameters.fixed == 1)
            {parameters.targetx = list.targetposition.nextvalue;
            parameters.targety= list.targetposition.nextvalue};

values.stiminterval = list.stimulusinterval.nextvalue;
    trial.SRTT.insertstimulustime(shape.targetcircle, values.stiminterval);
]
/ stimulustimes = [0 = focus]
/ beginresponsetime = values.stiminterval
/ inputdevice = voicekey
/ validresponse = (anyresponse)

/ ontrialend = [trial.SRTT.resetstimulusframes()]
/ branch = [trial.SRTT] 
</trial>

and set a suitable /voicekeythreshold in the script's <defaults>, e.g.

<defaults>
/ voicekeythreshold = 15
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3.5%)
/ screencolor = (white)
/ txbgcolor = (0,0,0)
/ txcolor = (255, 255, 255)
/ minimumversion = "5.0.0.0"
/canvasaspectratio = (4,3)
</defaults>

And that's basically all there is to it.

Anadepte
Anadepte
Dave - Friday, April 13, 2018
Hello,

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Thank you!

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [

]
/ inputdevice = voicekey

/ branch = [trial.SRTT] 
</trial>

<defaults>
/ voicekeythreshold = 15
/ screencolor = (white)
/ txbgcolor = (0,0,0)
</defaults>

Hi Dave! I gonna use simple reaction time - auditory but instead of the keyboard the vocal response. I attach here the complete script with changes. Sorry if I take advantage of your availability and thank you once more again.
Attachments
SCRIPT TASK.docx (300 views, 15.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Anadepte - Monday, April 16, 2018
Hello,

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Thank you!

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [

]
/ inputdevice = voicekey

/ branch = [trial.SRTT] 
</trial>

<defaults>
/ voicekeythreshold = 15
/ screencolor = (white)
/ txbgcolor = (0,0,0)
</defaults>

Hi Dave! I gonna use simple reaction time - auditory but instead of the keyboard the vocal response. I attach here the complete script with changes. Sorry if I take advantage of your availability and thank you once more again.

And what are the things you need assistance with? For what it's worth,

<parameters>
/targetspeaker = -10000 (because we gonna use just left speaker)
/volumeadjust = 0
/maxtrialnumber = 20
/screencolor = white
/speakerfixed = 0 (I don’t know what 0 means here, maybe I need to put -10000?)
/volumefixed = 0
</parameters>

should remain as-is, i.e. set to 0. If set to 1,

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [
    if (parameters.speakerfixed == 1)
                            {parameters.targetspeaker = list.targetchannel.nextvalue};
    if (parameters.volumefixed == 1)
                            {parameters.volumeadjust = list.targetvolumeadjust.nextvalue};
    trial.SRTT.insertstimulustime(sound.target, values.stiminterval);
]

The speaker would be determined randomly.

Anadepte
Anadepte
Dave - Monday, April 16, 2018
Hello,

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Thank you!

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [

]
/ inputdevice = voicekey

/ branch = [trial.SRTT] 
</trial>

<defaults>
/ voicekeythreshold = 15
/ screencolor = (white)
/ txbgcolor = (0,0,0)
</defaults>

<parameters>
/volumeadjust = 0
/maxtrialnumber = 20
/screencolor = white
/volumefixed = 0
</parameters>

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [
]

Because it doesn't work properly, anyway thank you for all your patience.
Dave
Dave
Anadepte - Tuesday, April 17, 2018
Hello,

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Thank you!

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [

]
/ inputdevice = voicekey

/ branch = [trial.SRTT] 
</trial>

<defaults>
/ voicekeythreshold = 15
/ screencolor = (white)
/ txbgcolor = (0,0,0)
</defaults>

<parameters>
/volumeadjust = 0
/maxtrialnumber = 20
/screencolor = white
/volumefixed = 0
</parameters>

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [
]

What is not working properly?

Anadepte
Anadepte
Dave - Tuesday, April 17, 2018
Anadepte - Tuesday, April 17, 2018
Hello,

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Thank you!

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [

]
/ inputdevice = voicekey

/ branch = [trial.SRTT] 
</trial>

<defaults>
/ voicekeythreshold = 15
/ screencolor = (white)
/ txbgcolor = (0,0,0)
</defaults>

<parameters>
/volumeadjust = 0
/maxtrialnumber = 20
/screencolor = white
/volumefixed = 0
</parameters>

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [
]

What is not working properly?

I can hear the sound just for one time (and not for 20 times at a random interstimulus interval) and the verbal response is not recordered so I don't have the latency..
Dave
Dave
Anadepte - Wednesday, April 18, 2018

I can hear the sound just for one time (and not for 20 times at a random interstimulus interval) and the verbal response is not recordered so I don't have the latency..

I ran the script and it works properly for me. I've attached the script as well as one of the data files created so you can see for yourself. If the script stalls for you after the 1st playback of the sound and then doesn't move on, this means Inquisit isn't getting any input from the microphone. Make sure it's not muted.

Attachments
script.zip (229 views, 24.00 KB)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search