Different exposition depending on the group number

Author
CamiloAguirre
Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello generous people who help noobs like me

I'm about to finish the programming of my exprimental task but I need help wit a small detail.

Some people is going to see images with negative valence, others with positive valence and some others with neutral stimuli.

How can I make them see a different bunch of images depending on the group number I write when I start to run the program?

For example, if the Subject ID is 1 and the group number is 1, the subject is going to be expose to negative images; if the subject ID is  1 as well but the guoup number is 2, the subject will see positive images an so on.

It must be really easy but I haven't found out.

Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
CamiloAguirre - Tuesday, April 17, 2018
Hello generous people who help noobs like me

I'm about to finish the programming of my exprimental task but I need help wit a small detail.

Some people is going to see images with negative valence, others with positive valence and some others with neutral stimuli.

How can I make them see a different bunch of images depending on the group number I write when I start to run the program?

For example, if the Subject ID is 1 and the group number is 1, the subject is going to be expose to negative images; if the subject ID is  1 as well but the guoup number is 2, the subject will see positive images an so on.

It must be really easy but I haven't found out.

Thanks!

You can use the <variables> element to do this.

<variables>
/group=(1 of 3) (someitems=negativeitems)
/group=(2 of 3) (someitems=positiveitems)
/group=(3 of 3) (someitems=neutralitems)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
</variables>

<picture somepicture>
/ items = someitems
</picture>

<item negativeitems>
/ 1 = "neg01.jpg"
</item>

<item positiveitems>
/ 1 = "pos01.jpg"
</item>

<item neutralitems>
/ 1 = "neu01.jpg"
</item>
CamiloAguirre
CamiloAguirre
Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)Partner Member (516 reputation)

Hello Dave, thanks a lot for your time! It has been really useful but I haven't done it yet, could you please tell me what am I doing wrong? Because when I run it, doesn't matther what group number you write, it shows all of the images: negative, neutral and positive, in this order.

<variables>
/ group = (1 of 3) (item.negativo=negativo)
/ group = (2 of 3) (item.positivo=positivo)
/ group = (3 of 3) (item.neutral=neutral)
</variables>

<picture NEG>
/items = negativo
/halign = center
/select = noreplacenorepeat
</picture>

<picture POS>
/items = item.positivo
/halign = center
</picture>

<picture NEU>
/items = item.neutral
/halign = center
</picture>

<item negativo>
/1="Negativas\1.jpg"
</item>

<item positivo>
/1="Positivas\1.jpg"
</item>

<item neutral>
/1="Neutrales\1.jpg"
</item>

Probably it's a really dumb and simple mistake, sorry
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
CamiloAguirre - Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Hello Dave, thanks a lot for your time! It has been really useful but I haven't done it yet, could you please tell me what am I doing wrong? Because when I run it, doesn't matther what group number you write, it shows all of the images: negative, neutral and positive, in this order.

<variables>
/ group = (1 of 3) (item.negativo=negativo)
/ group = (2 of 3) (item.positivo=positivo)
/ group = (3 of 3) (item.neutral=neutral)
</variables>

<picture NEG>
/items = negativo
/halign = center
</picture>

<picture POS>
/items = item.positivo
/halign = center
</picture>

<picture NEU>
/items = item.neutral
/halign = center
</picture>

<item negativo>
/1="Negativas\1.jpg"
</item>

<item positivo>
/1="Positivas\1.jpg"
</item>

<item neutral>
/1="Neutrales\1.jpg"
</item>

Probably it's a really dumb and simple mistake, sorry

You need only _one_ <picture> element, not three. You then simply change what _items_ that picture element displays per the <variables>. Take this example, with three sets of items, A, B, and C. You want the 1st group to see the four A items, the 2nd group to see the four B items, and the 3rd one to see the four C items.

<variables>
/ group = (1 of 3) (myitems = aitems)
/ group = (2 of 3) (myitems = bitems)
/ group = (3 of 3) (myitems = citems)
</variables>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-4 = mytrial]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=mytext]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text mytext>
/ items = myitems
</text>

<item aitems>
/ 1 = "A1"
/ 2 = "A2"
/ 3 = "A3"
/ 4 = "A4"
</item>

<item bitems>
/ 1 = "B1"
/ 2 = "B2"
/ 3 = "B3"
/ 4 = "B4"
</item>

<item citems>
/ 1 = "C1"
/ 2 = "C2"
/ 3 = "C3"
/ 4 = "C4"
</item>

It works the same with a <picture> element.

CamiloAguirre
CamiloAguirre
Completely clear!
Thank you for your time and you patience!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search