Please Help!!!

Author
paul.kazelis
Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am new to this program (less than a week of familiarization) and I have beed tasked with utilizing this program to assist in a research project. I have zero programming experience prior to my exposure with Inquisit.

What I need to do is to be able to present a stimulus (it can be very basic, such as a shape), briefly hide that stimulus, and present another stimulus directly after. This is to track whether a subject can perceive a difference in the stimuli. The reason for hiding the initial stimulus is to eliminate any residuals that would allow for easy detection (if you see a circle, and are than presented with a slightly larger circle, it will be much easier to detect a difference than if the first circle briefly disappears).

Can anyone offer any tips in accomplishing this task? I would greatly appreciate them!!!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
paul.kazelis - Tuesday, June 19, 2018
I am new to this program (less than a week of familiarization) and I have beed tasked with utilizing this program to assist in a research project. I have zero programming experience prior to my exposure with Inquisit.

What I need to do is to be able to present a stimulus (it can be very basic, such as a shape), briefly hide that stimulus, and present another stimulus directly after. This is to track whether a subject can perceive a difference in the stimuli. The reason for hiding the initial stimulus is to eliminate any residuals that would allow for easy detection (if you see a circle, and are than presented with a slightly larger circle, it will be much easier to detect a difference than if the first circle briefly disappears).

Can anyone offer any tips in accomplishing this task? I would greatly appreciate them!!!

#1: Please work through the tutorials to familiarize yourself with the basic structure and most important syntax constructs if you haven't done so yet:
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/tutorials/tutorials.htm

The priming tutorial is particularly pertinent to your question: https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/tutorials/subliminal/subliminaltutorial.htm

#2: For your procedure, I assume you'll want to use <picture> stimuli. You need two <picture> elements, one for the 1st stimulus, one for the 2nd (changed) stimulus:

<picture 1st>
/ items = 1stitems
</picture>

<item 1stitems>
/ 1 = "a1.jpg"
/ 1 = "b1.jpg"
/ 1 = "c1.jpg"
/ 1 = "d1.jpg"
</item>

<picture 2nd>
/ items = 2nditems
/ select = picture.1st.currentindex
</picture>

<item 2nditems>
/ 1 = "a2.jpg"
/ 1 = "b2.jpg"
/ 1 = "c2.jpg"
/ 1 = "d2.jpg"
</item>

Set up a <trial> to display the two picture stimuli in the desired way:

<trial example>
/ stimulustimes = [0=1st; 500=clearscreen; 1000=2nd]
</trial>

The above would display the 1st image for 500ms, then clear the screen (display nothing) for 500ms, and then finally display the 2nd image.

That's the whole gist of it.

Looking at the change blindness script here https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/changeblindness/ may also be instructive as a way more elaborate example.

paul.kazelis
paul.kazelis
Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)Associate Member (257 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Tuesday, June 19, 2018
paul.kazelis - Tuesday, June 19, 2018

#1: Please work through the tutorials to familiarize yourself with the basic structure and most important syntax constructs if you haven't done so yet:
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/tutorials/tutorials.htm

The priming tutorial is particularly pertinent to your question: https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/tutorials/subliminal/subliminaltutorial.htm

#2: For your procedure, I assume you'll want to use <picture> stimuli. You need two <picture> elements, one for the 1st stimulus, one for the 2nd (changed) stimulus:

<picture 1st>
/ items = 1stitems
</picture>

<item 1stitems>
/ 1 = "a1.jpg"
/ 1 = "b1.jpg"
/ 1 = "c1.jpg"
/ 1 = "d1.jpg"
</item>

<picture 2nd>
/ items = 2nditems
/ select = picture.1st.currentindex
</picture>

<item 2nditems>
/ 1 = "a2.jpg"
/ 1 = "b2.jpg"
/ 1 = "c2.jpg"
/ 1 = "d2.jpg"
</item>

Set up a <trial> to display the two picture stimuli in the desired way:

<trial example>
/ stimulustimes = [0=1st; 500=clearscreen; 1000=2nd]
</trial>

The above would display the 1st image for 500ms, then clear the screen (display nothing) for 500ms, and then finally display the 2nd image.

That's the whole gist of it.

Looking at the change blindness script here https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/changeblindness/ may also be instructive as a way more elaborate example.

Thank you!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search