Running Inquisit 5 script on Inquisit 3?

Author
inquisituser22
Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
I am writing to ask if it is possible to run a script I wrote on Inquisit 5 on Inquisit 3, and if not, what might need to be changed?

Thank you!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
inquisituser22 - Wednesday, June 20, 2018
Hello,
I am writing to ask if it is possible to run a script I wrote on Inquisit 5 on Inquisit 3, and if not, what might need to be changed?

Thank you!

No, it's not possible to run an Inquisit 5 script under Inquisit 3 -- the Inquisit 5 script will make use of many syntax features that simply do not exist in Inquisit 3. You'd have to strip all of these out and replace them with Inquisit 3 syntax-compliant equivalents (insofar as any exist -- for some things there are none).

inquisituser22
inquisituser22
Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Wednesday, June 20, 2018
Hello,

Thank you!

No, it's not possible to run an Inquisit 5 script under Inquisit 3 -- the Inquisit 5 script will make use of many syntax features that simply do not exist in Inquisit 3. You'd have to strip all of these out and replace them with Inquisit 3 syntax-compliant equivalents (insofar as any exist -- for some things there are none).

Ok thank you for letting me know. I see a few old message board threads with people converting their Inquisit 4 scripts to Inquisit 3. Do you have any resources you would recommend for this? I realize I could upgrade the license, though because I am tight on funds I am thinking of trying to first convert to Inquisit 4, then Inquisit 3.

Thank you for your help!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
inquisituser22 - Thursday, June 21, 2018
Dave - Wednesday, June 20, 2018
Hello,

Thank you!

Ok thank you for letting me know. I see a few old message board threads with people converting their Inquisit 4 scripts to Inquisit 3. Do you have any resources you would recommend for this? I realize I could upgrade the license, though because I am tight on funds I am thinking of trying to first convert to Inquisit 4, then Inquisit 3.

Thank you for your help!

There are too many changes to provide a comprehensive list, but here are the most salient ones you're going to run into:
- Inquisit 3 does not allow for multiple <values> and <expressions> elements in a script. You need to consolidate them into a single one each. I.e. if a script has

<values a>
/ a1 = "something"
/ a2 = "more of something"
</values>

and

<values b>
/ b1 = "something else"
</values>

you need to merge that to

<values>
/ a1 = "something"
/ a2 = "more of something"
/ b1 = "something else"
</values>

for things to work under Inquisit 3.

- Inquisit 3 has no <parameters> element. You can use <values> instead.
- The /validresponse and /correcresponse attributes are more limited under Inquisit 3, stuff like

<trial sometrial>
/ validresponse = (values.key1, values.key2)
</trial>

won't work under Inquisit 3, you need to use /isvalidresponse and /iscorrectresponse instead, i.e. the above becomes

<trial sometrial>
/ isvalidresponse = [trial.sometrial.response == values.key1 || trial.sometrial.response == values.key2]
</trial>

- <list> elements do not exist in Inquisit 3, for some things you can use <counter> elements instead, but they are far more limited. In particular, there are no equivalents to <list> elements' mean, median, sum, etc. properties.
- <summarydata> does not exist in Inquisit 3 syntax, you can only have a  long-format raw data file (<data> element).
- There are no /animation or /onprepare attributes in Inquisit 3.
- There are no increment += and decrement -= operators in Inquisit 3, i.e. things like

values.myvalue += 10

need to be expressed as

values.myvalue = values.myvalue + 10

under Inquisit 3.

That should hopefully get you started and a good way through the conversion. If you get stuck on any particular part, let me know and then I can either provide some useful pointers on how to make that piece of syntax Inquisit 3-compatible or tell you if it's simply not possible -- some subset of procedures simply cannot be converted down to Inquisit 3 because the necessary syntax features just aren't there.

Edited 6 Years Ago by Dave
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search