Help for a Novice

Author
apneus
Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone
I am a PhD student, new to inquisit lab and could use some advice. I am just about to try and set up my pilot study and wondered if there was an existing script that would work.
My experiment is showing participants affective images while recording their brain signals with an EEG cap. What I need Inquisit to do is show the images (from the IAPS dataset)
at a set interval, maybe 10 seconds for each image. Is their a script that could do this? Or is it easy to write this kind of script? Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
apneus - Monday, July 23, 2018
Hi everyone
I am a PhD student, new to inquisit lab and could use some advice. I am just about to try and set up my pilot study and wondered if there was an existing script that would work.
My experiment is showing participants affective images while recording their brain signals with an EEG cap. What I need Inquisit to do is show the images (from the IAPS dataset)
at a set interval, maybe 10 seconds for each image. Is their a script that could do this? Or is it easy to write this kind of script? Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.

It is extremely easy to write such a script. In essence, all you need is

- a <picture> element with your IAPS images as its items

<picture mypicture>
/ items = myitems
/ size = (40%, 40%)
</picture>

<item myitems>
/ 1 = "image01.jpg"
/ 2 = "image02.jpg"
/ 3 = "image03.jpg"
/ 4 = "image04.jpg"
/ 5 = "image05.jpg"
/ 6 = "image06.jpg"
/ 7 = "image07.jpg"
/ 8 = "image08.jpg"
/ 9 = "image08.jpg"
/ 10 = "image10.jpg"
</item>

- a <trial> that displays the <picture> for the desired amount of time

<trial mytrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=mypicture]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 10000
</trial>

- and a <block> that runs the trial as many times as there are items you wish to display

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-10 = mytrial]
</block>

The tutorials in the documentation are worth checking out to familiarize yourself with the basics and most important syntax constructs: https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/tutorials/tutorials.htm

apneus
apneus
Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)Respected Member (494 reputation)
Dave - Monday, July 23, 2018
Hi everyone

<picture mypicture>
/ items = myitems
/ size = (40%, 40%)
</picture>

<item myitems>
/ 1 = "image01.jpg"
/ 2 = "image02.jpg"
/ 3 = "image03.jpg"
/ 4 = "image04.jpg"
/ 5 = "image05.jpg"
/ 6 = "image06.jpg"
/ 7 = "image07.jpg"
/ 8 = "image08.jpg"
/ 9 = "image08.jpg"
/ 10 = "image10.jpg"
</item>

<trial mytrial>
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 10000
</trial>

- and a <block> that runs the trial as many times as there are items you wish to display

<block myblock>
</block>

The tutorials in the documentation are worth checking out to familiarize yourself with the basics and most important syntax constructs: https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/tutorials/tutorials.htm

Dave, you're a star, thank you. I will get to work trying it out once I have the experiment set up. I will post back about how it goes. 
Thank you again, I really appreciate it.
apneus
apneus
Hi everyone

<picture mypicture>
/ items = myitems
/ size = (40%, 40%)
</picture>

<item myitems>
/ 1 = "image01.jpg"
/ 2 = "image02.jpg"
/ 3 = "image03.jpg"
/ 4 = "image04.jpg"
/ 5 = "image05.jpg"
/ 6 = "image06.jpg"
/ 7 = "image07.jpg"
/ 8 = "image08.jpg"
/ 9 = "image08.jpg"
/ 10 = "image10.jpg"
</item>

<trial mytrial>
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 10000
</trial>

<block myblock>
</block>

Could I ask you another quick question? Is there any reason to go for Inquisit 4? I was about to buy Inquisit 5 but as it's still offering 4 I wondered if there was any benefit to it.

Thanks

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Hi everyone

<picture mypicture>
/ items = myitems
/ size = (40%, 40%)
</picture>

<item myitems>
/ 1 = "image01.jpg"
/ 2 = "image02.jpg"
/ 3 = "image03.jpg"
/ 4 = "image04.jpg"
/ 5 = "image05.jpg"
/ 6 = "image06.jpg"
/ 7 = "image07.jpg"
/ 8 = "image08.jpg"
/ 9 = "image08.jpg"
/ 10 = "image10.jpg"
</item>

<trial mytrial>
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 10000
</trial>

<block myblock>
</block>

Could I ask you another quick question? Is there any reason to go for Inquisit 4? I was about to buy Inquisit 5 but as it's still offering 4 I wondered if there was any benefit to it.

Thanks

I don't see any benefit to staying with Inquisit 4 at this point. Inquisit 5 is definitely more flexible and works on a greater number of systems (especially if you're planning to run things on the web at some point). On the other hand, you may not need the additional features Inquisit 5 offers over Inquisit 4 for your particular study or studies. If you're working in a lab environment / offline setting, already have Inquisit 4 available and/or feel comfortable with Inquisit 4, there is no urgent reason to switch.

apneus
apneus
Hi everyone

<picture mypicture>
/ items = myitems
/ size = (40%, 40%)
</picture>

<item myitems>
/ 1 = "image01.jpg"
/ 2 = "image02.jpg"
/ 3 = "image03.jpg"
/ 4 = "image04.jpg"
/ 5 = "image05.jpg"
/ 6 = "image06.jpg"
/ 7 = "image07.jpg"
/ 8 = "image08.jpg"
/ 9 = "image08.jpg"
/ 10 = "image10.jpg"
</item>

<trial mytrial>
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 10000
</trial>

<block myblock>
</block>

Thanks

I don't see any benefit to staying with Inquisit 4 at this point. Inquisit 5 is definitely more flexible and works on a greater number of systems (especially if you're planning to run things on the web at some point). On the other hand, you may not need the additional features Inquisit 5 offers over Inquisit 4 for your particular study or studies. If you're working in a lab environment / offline setting, already have Inquisit 4 available and/or feel comfortable with Inquisit 4, there is no urgent reason to switch.

Brilliant, thanks again.
apneus
apneus
Hi everyone

<picture mypicture>
/ items = myitems
/ size = (40%, 40%)
</picture>

<item myitems>
/ 1 = "image01.jpg"
/ 2 = "image02.jpg"
/ 3 = "image03.jpg"
/ 4 = "image04.jpg"
/ 5 = "image05.jpg"
/ 6 = "image06.jpg"
/ 7 = "image07.jpg"
/ 8 = "image08.jpg"
/ 9 = "image08.jpg"
/ 10 = "image10.jpg"
</item>

<trial mytrial>
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 10000
</trial>

<block myblock>
</block>

Thanks

Brilliant, thanks again.

I used the script with 10 images and it worked brilliantly except for one thing. In the results, the time column showed the 
start time for each of the 10 images. Is there a way to increment the time results to show the time that each image was shown? For example,
The results show
19:33:41
Where I would like something like
19:33:46
19:33:51
I have attached a screenshot of the results.

Really sorry to be pain. 
Thanks again

Attachments
Test001.PNG (511 views, 62.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Hi everyone

<picture mypicture>
/ items = myitems
/ size = (40%, 40%)
</picture>

<item myitems>
/ 1 = "image01.jpg"
/ 2 = "image02.jpg"
/ 3 = "image03.jpg"
/ 4 = "image04.jpg"
/ 5 = "image05.jpg"
/ 6 = "image06.jpg"
/ 7 = "image07.jpg"
/ 8 = "image08.jpg"
/ 9 = "image08.jpg"
/ 10 = "image10.jpg"
</item>

<trial mytrial>
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 10000
</trial>

<block myblock>
</block>

Thanks

Brilliant, thanks again.

I used the script with 10 images and it worked brilliantly except for one thing. In the results, the time column showed the 
start time for each of the 10 images. Is there a way to increment the time results to show the time that each image was shown? For example,
The results show

Really sorry to be pain. 
Thanks again

To do that you should add a <data> element to your script and then log the script.elapsedtime and/or the picture.mypicture.timestamp property, i.e. something like this:

<data>
/ columns = (date time subject group blocknum blockcode trialnum trialcode trialduration response latency correct
    stimulusitem stimulusnumber trial.mytrial.timestamp picture.mypicture.timestamp script.elapsedtime)
</data>

the timestamp would reflect milliseconds elapsed relative to the start of script execution, not absolute time. You can, of course, derive absolute time (approximately) by calculating it from the timestamps and the start time recorded in the "time" column.

NB: If your eventual aim is to synchronize measurements with your EEG, sending a marker to the EEG via the parallel or serial <port> and having the EEG record that marker is the vastly preferable option. To to this, you would set up a <port> element in your script and "display" that <port> stimulus along with your stimulus. See the following scripts as examples

https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/oddball/
https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/neuroscan/

as well as the documentation for the <port> element:
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/language/elements/port.htm
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/howtosendport.htm
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/howtoportmonitor.htm

Edited 6 Years Ago by Dave
apneus
apneus
Hi everyone

<picture mypicture>
/ items = myitems
/ size = (40%, 40%)
</picture>

<item myitems>
/ 1 = "image01.jpg"
/ 2 = "image02.jpg"
/ 3 = "image03.jpg"
/ 4 = "image04.jpg"
/ 5 = "image05.jpg"
/ 6 = "image06.jpg"
/ 7 = "image07.jpg"
/ 8 = "image08.jpg"
/ 9 = "image08.jpg"
/ 10 = "image10.jpg"
</item>

<trial mytrial>
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 10000
</trial>

<block myblock>
</block>

Thanks

Brilliant, thanks again.

The results show

Really sorry to be pain. 
Thanks again

To do that you should add a <data> element to your script and then log the script.elapsedtime and/or the picture.mypicture.timestamp property.

Hi Dave

Can't get the code to work. I've tried the data element every way I can think and the elapsed time. If you have any idea how the code would look I would really appreciate it. I will keep trying in the meantime and check back later. Thanks again.
apneus
apneus
Hi everyone

<picture mypicture>
/ items = myitems
/ size = (40%, 40%)
</picture>

<item myitems>
/ 1 = "image01.jpg"
/ 2 = "image02.jpg"
/ 3 = "image03.jpg"
/ 4 = "image04.jpg"
/ 5 = "image05.jpg"
/ 6 = "image06.jpg"
/ 7 = "image07.jpg"
/ 8 = "image08.jpg"
/ 9 = "image08.jpg"
/ 10 = "image10.jpg"
</item>

<trial mytrial>
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 10000
</trial>

<block myblock>
</block>

Thanks

Brilliant, thanks again.

The results show

Really sorry to be pain. 
Thanks again

To do that you should add a <data> element to your script and then log the script.elapsedtime and/or the picture.mypicture.timestamp property.

Hi Dave

Can't get the code to work. I've tried the data element every way I can think and the elapsed time. If you have any idea how the code would look I would really appreciate it. I will keep trying in the meantime and check back later. Thanks again.

Sorry, only saw the first two lines of your reply. Just seen the rest with all the info. Thanks Dave will have a go.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search