Issue loading video

Author
sadelavega
Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic19901.aspx?Keywords=video is as close to a similar problem as I can find in Inquisit's forums. There is no error message when I add a video, and the code is not rejected. The study runs, but the screen is blank (white). There is no video but you can hear the audio.

I've used the below code (and every other combination of including and excluding parts of the code - they all work the same). The video lives in the same folder as the .iqx file. I shortened the video to be less than 16 MB so it wouldn't be a size issue. I tried all different types of video formats - MP4, VOB, M2V, WAV, XMP, and MOV. Ideally the video format can run in MPEG so that I can run the study on macs, PCs, and across other platforms as well (need to be able to play video in preview mode in Box, Dropbox, and Qualtrics for example). 

<video VTS_01_2>
/items = ("VTS_01_2.mpeg")
/ erase = true(255, 255, 255)
/ halign = center
/ position = (50, 50)
/ playthrough = false
/ select = noreplace
/ valign = center
/ vposition = 50
/ size = (100%,100%)
</video>

Please help!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
sadelavega - Tuesday, July 24, 2018
https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic19901.aspx?Keywords=video is as close to a similar problem as I can find in Inquisit's forums. There is no error message when I add a video, and the code is not rejected. The study runs, but the screen is blank (white). There is no video but you can hear the audio.

I've used the below code (and every other combination of including and excluding parts of the code - they all work the same). The video lives in the same folder as the .iqx file. I shortened the video to be less than 16 MB so it wouldn't be a size issue. I tried all different types of video formats - MP4, VOB, M2V, WAV, XMP, and MOV. Ideally the video format can run in MPEG so that I can run the study on macs, PCs, and across other platforms as well (need to be able to play video in preview mode in Box, Dropbox, and Qualtrics for example). 

<video VTS_01_2>
/ halign = center
/ position = (50, 50)
/ playthrough = false
/ select = noreplace
/ valign = center
/ vposition = 50
/ size = (100%,100%)
</video>

Please help!

You would at a minimum have to provide the full video file. I can't tell you what's wrong with it just by looking at the syntax you posted, which seems okay in and of itself. Likely it's an encoding issue. I would try using MP4, specifically with the video stream encoded with H.264 and the audio stream encoded as MP3. That combination should work well across modern systems.

sadelavega
sadelavega
Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)Partner Member (531 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Tuesday, July 24, 2018

<video VTS_01_2>
/ halign = center
/ position = (50, 50)
/ playthrough = false
/ select = noreplace
/ valign = center
/ vposition = 50
/ size = (100%,100%)
</video>

Please help!

You would at a minimum have to provide the full video file. I can't tell you what's wrong with it just by looking at the syntax you posted, which seems okay in and of itself. Likely it's an encoding issue. I would try using MP4, specifically with the video stream encoded with H.264 and the audio stream encoded as MP3. That combination should work well across modern systems.

I have been converting to MP4 with H.264 and the audio always comes through no matter what format. What information can I give to show you what you need to know about the video? It was originally in VOB format and recorded on a mini DVD-R. If I open the VOB file (unconverted) in anything but VLC, it either doesn't have sound or makes the video appear to only be a few seconds long when it should be 15 minutes. I completely took the audio out and formatted the video by itself to see if that could work, but that failed too. Inquisit is the only program I have not been able to find a way to make this video work. The MP4 with H.264 works on all other platforms I've tried (YouTube, Box, Dropbox, etc.). I really need it to work in Inquisit no matter what.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
sadelavega - Friday, July 27, 2018

<video VTS_01_2>
/ halign = center
/ position = (50, 50)
/ playthrough = false
/ select = noreplace
/ valign = center
/ vposition = 50
/ size = (100%,100%)
</video>

Please help!

I have been converting to MP4 with H.264 and the audio always comes through no matter what format. What information can I give to show you what you need to know about the video? It was originally in VOB format and recorded on a mini DVD-R. If I open the VOB file (unconverted) in anything but VLC, it either doesn't have sound or makes the video appear to only be a few seconds long when it should be 15 minutes. I completely took the audio out and formatted the video by itself to see if that could work, but that failed too. Inquisit is the only program I have not been able to find a way to make this video work. The MP4 with H.264 works on all other platforms I've tried (YouTube, Box, Dropbox, etc.). I really need it to work in Inquisit no matter what.

Just upload the video somewhere where I can grab it and take a look at it myself. (I mean the H.264 MP4 file here, not the VOB).

Edited 6 Years Ago by Dave
Dave
Dave
Dave - Friday, July 27, 2018
sadelavega - Friday, July 27, 2018

<video VTS_01_2>
/ halign = center
/ position = (50, 50)
/ playthrough = false
/ select = noreplace
/ valign = center
/ vposition = 50
/ size = (100%,100%)
</video>

Please help!

Just upload the video somewhere where I can grab it and take a look at it myself. (I mean the H.264 MP4 file here, not the VOB).

And to add: It's important to understand that Inquisit does not have a built-in media player or handles audio / video rendering itself. Unlike for example VLC, Inquisit does not come with own independent sets of codecs, Inquisit relies on the underlying operating system's built-in facilities to render audio and video content. Under Windows / Inquisit 5, the relevant framework is Media Foundation (MF): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Foundation

If video content isn't rendered, that means the encoding is not supported by MF or the MF configuration on your system is broken in some way.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search