Batch/Include or other merging possibilities

Author
avan
Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello!

I have a series of scripts that I would like to run as a single experiment. However, I want to run the experiment online and I want to randomize the order of the scripts (with some constraints). I've looked through the documentation, and it stated that there was no way to easily randomize batch order, although that was as of version 3 and that updates were slated. I cannot find more recent documentation that states whether this capability is present in version 5. Does anybody know if this is now a capability? Alternately, I don't mind fiddling with the code, but I am new to inquisit and my attempts to batch single files based on conditionals or draw file names from variables or lists, which is what I would do if I were using other languages, is not working. I'm not sure if it's a limitation of Inquisit or simply because I am new to this particular system and haven't figured it out yet. 
I am not sure if "include" would work for me here, as I have very different types of scripts that I am trying to run together, and so the default parameters and data requirement output are different across my scripts, so setting a single structure across all scripts does not seem like it would work. 
If anybody has any guidance for how I could randomize the order of batch scripts (in a way that I could use online), I would appreciate it. 

Thanks!
Amanda
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
avan - Monday, September 17, 2018
Hello!

I have a series of scripts that I would like to run as a single experiment. However, I want to run the experiment online and I want to randomize the order of the scripts (with some constraints). I've looked through the documentation, and it stated that there was no way to easily randomize batch order, although that was as of version 3 and that updates were slated. I cannot find more recent documentation that states whether this capability is present in version 5. Does anybody know if this is now a capability? Alternately, I don't mind fiddling with the code, but I am new to inquisit and my attempts to batch single files based on conditionals or draw file names from variables or lists, which is what I would do if I were using other languages, is not working. I'm not sure if it's a limitation of Inquisit or simply because I am new to this particular system and haven't figured it out yet. 
I am not sure if "include" would work for me here, as I have very different types of scripts that I am trying to run together, and so the default parameters and data requirement output are different across my scripts, so setting a single structure across all scripts does not seem like it would work. 
If anybody has any guidance for how I could randomize the order of batch scripts (in a way that I could use online), I would appreciate it. 

Thanks!
Amanda

The way to do this is to define several <batch> conditions, one for each order you need to administer. So, suppose you have three scripts A, B and C, and wish to administer every order possible (there are six in this case), randomly assigning each participant to one of those orders. Then you do something like:

// order A -> B -> C
<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 6)
/ groupassignment = random
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
</batch>

// order A -> C -> B
<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 6)
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
</batch>

// order B -> A -> C
<batch>
/ subjects = (3 of 6)
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
</batch>

// order B -> C -> A
<batch>
/ subjects = (4 of 6)
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
</batch>

// order C -> A -> B
<batch>
/ subjects = (5 of 6)
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
</batch>

// order C -> B -> A
<batch>
/ subjects = (6 of 6)
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
</batch>

You can also set /groupassignment to either groupnumber or subjectnumber in the above to have the assignment done based on (randomly generated) numerical subject or group numbers.

avan
avan
Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)Associate Member (230 reputation)
Dave - Monday, September 17, 2018
Hello!

Thanks!
Amanda

The way to do this is to define several <batch> conditions, one for each order you need to administer. So, suppose you have three scripts A, B and C, and wish to administer every order possible (there are six in this case), randomly assigning each participant to one of those orders. Then you do something like:

// order A -> B -> C
<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 6)
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
</batch>

// order A -> C -> B
<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 6)
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
</batch>

// order B -> A -> C
<batch>
/ subjects = (3 of 6)
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
</batch>

// order B -> C -> A
<batch>
/ subjects = (4 of 6)
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
</batch>

// order C -> A -> B
<batch>
/ subjects = (5 of 6)
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
</batch>

// order C -> B -> A
<batch>
/ subjects = (6 of 6)
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
</batch>

You can also set /groupassignment to either groupnumber or subjectnumber in the above to have the assignment done based on (randomly generated) numerical subject or group numbers.

Ok, thank you. I started to do this, but my issue is that I have 9 scripts, split into 3 different "types" of tasks with 3 scripts of each type. I want to run three 'blocks' and within each block, have one script of each type (the particular task from each type randomly determined), and then have the order within each block shuffled as well. This leaves too many possible combinations for me to hard-write them all in this way. Unless there is a way for me to use variable names (e.g., set a file name to a variable name, randomly shuffle, then batch the variable name rather than hard-code a file name. I tried this and it didn't seem to work) or some other method that is more flexible than the batch, I will likely have to counterbalance a small number of possible orders, rather than randomizing the order, and batch like this.

Thanks for your quick response!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hello!

Thanks!
Amanda

// order A -> B -> C
<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 6)
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
</batch>

// order A -> C -> B
<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 6)
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
</batch>

// order B -> A -> C
<batch>
/ subjects = (3 of 6)
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
</batch>

// order B -> C -> A
<batch>
/ subjects = (4 of 6)
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
</batch>

// order C -> A -> B
<batch>
/ subjects = (5 of 6)
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
</batch>

// order C -> B -> A
<batch>
/ subjects = (6 of 6)
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
</batch>

Ok, thank you. I started to do this, but my issue is that I have 9 scripts, split into 3 different "types" of tasks with 3 scripts of each type. I want to run three 'blocks' and within each block, have one script of each type (the particular task from each type randomly determined), and then have the order within each block shuffled as well. This leaves too many possible combinations for me to hard-write them all in this way. Unless there is a way for me to use variable names (e.g., set a file name to a variable name, randomly shuffle, then batch the variable name rather than hard-code a file name. I tried this and it didn't seem to work) or some other method that is more flexible than the batch, I will likely have to counterbalance a small number of possible orders, rather than randomizing the order, and batch like this.

There *might* be a different way to do this, by using <batch> for one level of randomization, some <batch> values and parameters ( https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/batchparameters.htm ), and possibly combining that with conditional <include> elements, but I'm not sure. (Somewhat along those lines, see e.g. https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost23934.aspx , which illustrates how to administer different scripts based on participant choice.)
Any such setup would get complicated and somewhat fragile quickly, so focusing on some fixed subset of possible orders to counterbalance (maybe according to a Latin square) would be the more robust approach.

avan
avan
Hello!

Thanks!
Amanda

// order A -> B -> C
<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 6)
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
</batch>

// order A -> C -> B
<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 6)
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
</batch>

// order B -> A -> C
<batch>
/ subjects = (3 of 6)
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
</batch>

// order B -> C -> A
<batch>
/ subjects = (4 of 6)
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
</batch>

// order C -> A -> B
<batch>
/ subjects = (5 of 6)
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
</batch>

// order C -> B -> A
<batch>
/ subjects = (6 of 6)
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "a.iqx"
</batch>

There *might* be a different way to do this, by using <batch> for one level of randomization, some <batch> values and parameters ( https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/batchparameters.htm ), and possibly combining that with conditional <include> elements, but I'm not sure. (Somewhat along those lines, see e.g. https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost23934.aspx , which illustrates how to administer different scripts based on participant choice.)
Any such setup would get complicated and somewhat fragile quickly, so focusing on some fixed subset of possible orders to counterbalance (maybe according to a Latin square) would be the more robust approach.

Great, thanks for your help!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search