issues with surveypage "continue" button

Author
nrouhani
Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
hello, 
i just launched my task and received some complaints that the "continue" button (i.e. the next button) is appearing as strange symbols. i don't see this from my end while using a mac (macOS High Sierra), but do you have an idea of what could be causing this/how to fix it? 
thank you!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
nrouhani - Friday, September 28, 2018
hello, 
i just launched my task and received some complaints that the "continue" button (i.e. the next button) is appearing as strange symbols. i don't see this from my end while using a mac (macOS High Sierra), but do you have an idea of what could be causing this/how to fix it? 
thank you!

Could you please link to the script and, if possible, describe the "strange symbols"?

nrouhani
nrouhani
Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)
Dave - Friday, September 28, 2018
hello, 
thank you!

Could you please link to the script and, if possible, describe the "strange symbols"?

again, i do not see the "strange symbols" myself, and the participants didn't specify anything further. i am attaching the script with the relevant files, thank you so much!
Attachments
instructions.zip (244 views, 17.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

again, i do not see the "strange symbols" myself, and the participants didn't specify anything further. i am attaching the script with the relevant files, thank you so much!

Thanks for the script -- I am not seeing any strange symbols either (tested under Windows, too), so I have no good idea what the underlying issue could be / why (some?) of your participants are seeing something else. One thing you *could* try is to explicitly specify the text that should appear on the "continue" button, by defining the /nextabel and /finishlabel attributes in your <survey>. Speculating a bit, perhaps it is a font issue, so you could specify a different font as well.

<survey check>
/ nextlabel = "Continue >>"
/ finishlabel = "Continue >>"
/ navigationbuttonfontstyle = ("Arial", 2%)

/ pages = [1=questions]
/ responsefontstyle = ("Arial", 25)
/ itemfontstyle = ("Arial", 30)
/ txcolor = white
/ itemspacing = 5%
/ showpagenumbers = false
</survey>

If you want to do the same for the instruction pages as a precaution, you can do that by adding an <instruct> element in the script:

<instruct>
/ finishlabel = "Press SPACE for next page"
/ nextlabel = "Press SPACE for next page"
/ prevlabel = "Press BACKSPACE for previous page"
</instruct>

nrouhani
nrouhani
Dave - Friday, September 28, 2018

Thanks for the script -- I am not seeing any strange symbols either (tested under Windows, too), so I have no good idea what the underlying issue could be / why (some?) of your participants are seeing something else. One thing you *could* try is to explicitly specify the text that should appear on the "continue" button, by defining the /nextabel and /finishlabel attributes in your <survey>. Speculating a bit, perhaps it is a font issue, so you could specify a different font as well.

<survey check>
/ nextlabel = "Continue >>"
/ finishlabel = "Continue >>"
/ navigationbuttonfontstyle = ("Arial", 2%)

/ pages = [1=questions]
/ responsefontstyle = ("Arial", 25)
/ itemfontstyle = ("Arial", 30)
/ txcolor = white
/ itemspacing = 5%
/ showpagenumbers = false
</survey>

If you want to do the same for the instruction pages as a precaution, you can do that by adding an <instruct> element in the script:

<instruct>
/ finishlabel = "Press SPACE for next page"
/ nextlabel = "Press SPACE for next page"
/ prevlabel = "Press BACKSPACE for previous page"
</instruct>

thank you!!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic