Several IATs in randomized order

Author
Haschntii
Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello Dave and all,

I am pretty new to inquisit so my question might be very easy to answer, but I've tried various things and although my script runs fine, it just doesn't do what I need it to do.

So here's the issue:

I have 5 different IATs (each of those have 9 blocks including instructions), now I want them to be presented in a random order. 
Important: I can't use <batch> as I need the IAT's data for later feedback. 
So basicly the issue is, that I need the 9 blocks to show in an order, but each of the IATs consisting of those 9 blocks to be in random order.
I tried to work around it with <list>, but I found out it only takes one element of the list. After that I tried to implement it in my expt. with noreplace, but it didn't work either.

I'd be very greatful if you could help me.
The script is pretty long, so I dind't attach it, if you need anything out of it anyways I can share it.

Cheers and Thanks 
Alex
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Haschntii - Wednesday, October 10, 2018
Hello Dave and all,

I am pretty new to inquisit so my question might be very easy to answer, but I've tried various things and although my script runs fine, it just doesn't do what I need it to do.

So here's the issue:

I have 5 different IATs (each of those have 9 blocks including instructions), now I want them to be presented in a random order. 
Important: I can't use <batch> as I need the IAT's data for later feedback. 
So basicly the issue is, that I need the 9 blocks to show in an order, but each of the IATs consisting of those 9 blocks to be in random order.
I tried to work around it with <list>, but I found out it only takes one element of the list. After that I tried to implement it in my expt. with noreplace, but it didn't work either.

I'd be very greatful if you could help me.
The script is pretty long, so I dind't attach it, if you need anything out of it anyways I can share it.

Cheers and Thanks 
Alex

You'll probably want to use /branch. I.e. sample only _the first_ block of each IAT randomly and then just /branch from block1 to the corresponding block2, to the corresponding block3 and so forth. Schematically:

<expt>
/ blocks = [1-9 = noreplace(iat1_block1, iat2_block1, iat3_block1, ..., iat9_block1)]
</expt>

with

<iat1_block1>
/ branch = [block.iat1_block2]
</block>

<iat1_block2>
/ branch = [block.iat1_block3]
</block>
<iat1_block8>
/ branch = [block.iat1_block9]
</block>

[...]

<iat9_block1>
/ branch = [block.iat9_block2]
</block>

<iat9_block2>
/ branch = [block.iat9_block3]
</block>
<iat9_block8>
/ branch = [block.iat9_block9]
</block>

Haschntii
Haschntii
Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)Respected Member (406 reputation)
Hello Dave,

Thank you so much or your fast reply, it all works perfect now.
I combined it with <list> now, so I can insert different instructions on different positions and it does exactly what I was loocking for.

Thanks again.
I'll reach out to you if I run into more trouble.

Alex

Haschntii
Haschntii
Hey again,

So I came across a new Problem:
The randomized Presentation of the IAT works fine now, but in the whole Experiment participants should get Something like this: first random Instruktions for all 5 IATs, and afterwards get the IATs in the before selected random order.
So it would be Something like
IAT1_instr, IAT2_instr...IAT5_instr and then IAT1...IAT5.

So I'd Like to somehow store the selected random order to later use it e.g. in a list to Show the exact same Order...

I hope I explained myself clearly?
Cheers
Alex
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Haschntii - Thursday, October 11, 2018
Hey again,

So I came across a new Problem:
The randomized Presentation of the IAT works fine now, but in the whole Experiment participants should get Something like this: first random Instruktions for all 5 IATs, and afterwards get the IATs in the before selected random order.
So it would be Something like
IAT1_instr, IAT2_instr...IAT5_instr and then IAT1...IAT5.

So I'd Like to somehow store the selected random order to later use it e.g. in a list to Show the exact same Order...

I hope I explained myself clearly?
Cheers
Alex

Then store the order in a <list> at runtime, set the <list> to sequential selection and proceed as before from there.

Haschntii
Haschntii
Maybe I'm lacking some basics, but I don't know exactly how to store the order in a list. Could you maybe give an example of how to do it? 
Thank you so much!
Dave
Dave
Haschntii - Thursday, October 11, 2018
Maybe I'm lacking some basics, but I don't know exactly how to store the order in a list. Could you maybe give an example of how to do it? 
Thank you so much!

Sure:

//to store the random instruction block order and reproduce it later for the order of the IATs proper
<list blockorder>
/ selectionmode = sequence
</list>

//instruction blocks
<block iat1_instr>
/ onblockbegin = [
list.blockorder.appenditem(block.iat1_block1);
]
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<block iat2_instr>
/ onblockbegin = [
list.blockorder.appenditem(block.iat2_block1);
]
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<block iat3_instr>
/ onblockbegin = [
list.blockorder.appenditem(block.iat3_block1);
]
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

//block 1
<block iat1_block1>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
/ branch = [
block.iat1_block2;
]
</block>

<block iat2_block1>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
/ branch = [
block.iat2_block2;
]
</block>

<block iat3_block1>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
/ branch = [
block.iat3_block2;
]
</block>

//block 2
<block iat1_block2>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<block iat2_block2>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<block iat3_block2>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

//just a dummy trial
<trial mytrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=mytext]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text mytext>
/ items = ("This is: <%toupper(script.currentblock)%>")
</text>

<expt>
/ blocks = [1-3 = noreplace(iat1_instr, iat2_instr, iat3_instr); 4-6 = list.blockorder;]
</expt>

Haschntii
Haschntii
Thanks so much again for the quick reply!
It all works perfect now! 
Have an great Weekend!

Cheers,
Alex
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search