OSX Reinstall issues

Author
BryanRoche
Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all - I recently lost my MacBook laptop due to water damage but had a recent backup using Time Machine.   I created a new image of my old laptop on a new MacBook and all works perfectly - except for Inquisit , which detected that the software was on a new computer I guess? It suggested I reinstall.  This does not work -  it will run only in trial mode.  It provides no computer key with which I can generate a new registration key and therefore register it.      I assume what has happened is that there are hidden support files scattered around my computer that are confusing the new install  - these having been inherited from the time machine computer image.  It may look like I am trying to run an old  copy on a new computer - which I am!  But all I want to do is delete that old history fully and use a new licence with my newly installed copy.   Any help greatly appreciated.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
BryanRoche - Monday, November 5, 2018
Hi all - I recently lost my MacBook laptop due to water damage but had a recent backup using Time Machine.   I created a new image of my old laptop on a new MacBook and all works perfectly - except for Inquisit , which detected that the software was on a new computer I guess? It suggested I reinstall.  This does not work -  it will run only in trial mode.  It provides no computer key with which I can generate a new registration key and therefore register it.      I assume what has happened is that there are hidden support files scattered around my computer that are confusing the new install  - these having been inherited from the time machine computer image.  It may look like I am trying to run an old  copy on a new computer - which I am!  But all I want to do is delete that old history fully and use a new licence with my newly installed copy.   Any help greatly appreciated.

Please contact me via private message here at your earliest convenience -- I will provide guidance on how to get rid of any remnants of the previous installation and register the new one.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search