Randomized triplet image sequence

Author
skyeysss
Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi,

I'm really new to Inquisit and trying to create a pretty standard memory experiment that requires to show a structured sequence of images. I didn't see any previous post about this question, so any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

I'm trying to create a number of triplet images (meaning there's a set order between these three images and they will show up one by one in that order). But the order among the triplets should be randomized. No image should be the same. Let's say I try to create 3 triplets, each repeated 3 times within a block for 3 blocks. And across blocks, the order of the triplets should not be the same. For all of the images some of them are neutral picture, and others are negative. For those three triplets, one triplet has the structure of "negative, neutral, neutral", one "neutral, neutral, negative", and one "neutral, neutral, neutral". It does not matter which exact neutral or negative image it selects from the pool, because we want some randomization among subjects. In a word, each picture as two property: 1) negative or neutral 2) it's position in the triplet.

I hope I made it clear what I'm trying to get! I made a few attempts but it's not getting me very far to what i want to achieve. My idea is :
1) have two lists that have all the negative/neutral image paths. e.g.,
<list negativeImages>
/ items = ("./stimuli/negative/2053.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2141.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2205.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2301.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2345.1.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2352.2.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2307.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2399.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2413.jpg")
/ selectionmode = noreplace
</list>
(same for <list neutralImages>)

2)create three item variables that select from the negative and neutral image lists to determine what's which image is placed as the first one of the triplet or second or third. e.g.,
/1: first element of "negative, neutral, neutral" triplet
/2: first element of "neutral, neutral, negative" triplet
/3: first element of "neutral, neutral, neutral" triplet
<item 1stImages>
/1 = list.negativeImages
/2: = list.neutralImages
/3: = list.neutralImages
</item>
(Similar for <item 2ndImages> and <item 3rdImages>. Together item.1stImages.1 + item.2ndImages.1 + item.3rdImges.1 form the first triplet with structure "negative, neutral, neutral")

<picture 1stImages>
/items = 1stImages
/select = noreplace
</picture>

<picture 2ndImages>
/items = 2ndImages
/select = picture.1stImages.currentindex
</picture>

<picture 3rdImages>
/items =3rdImages
/select = picture.2ndImages.currentindex
</picture>

Question1: I don't quite how to let each item selects from the list. The console kept giving me errors. I think it was expecting a string-type of input (the image path) instead of reading from a list

Question2: It's possible to get duplicated stimuli from the same category under 1stImages, 2ndImages, and 3rdImages, since they're under different item elements and selected from the same list. How can I solve that?

3)display the triplet in random order for 3 times in each block. e.g.,

<trial encoding>
/ stimulustimes = [500 =1stImages; 2500=2ndImages; 4500=3rdImages]
/ correctresponse = ("j", "k")
/ validresponse = ("j", "k")
/ beginresponsetime = 0
</trial>

<block encoding>
/ preinstructions = (encodingIntro)
/ trials = [1-27 = encoding]
/ bgstim = (fixation)
</block>

Question3: this snippet of code doesn't really do what I expect.It seems like there's no set order within the triplet: each image will be selected from the pool of negative/neutral each time. How can I achieve this part?

Question4: How should I display the same triplet for multiple times? How do I randomize triplet order?

Sorry about these many questions all at once. Hope I made everything clear. I'd appreciate any help I can get!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
skyeysss - Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Hi,

I'm really new to Inquisit and trying to create a pretty standard memory experiment that requires to show a structured sequence of images. I didn't see any previous post about this question, so any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

I'm trying to create a number of triplet images (meaning there's a set order between these three images and they will show up one by one in that order). But the order among the triplets should be randomized. No image should be the same. Let's say I try to create 3 triplets, each repeated 3 times within a block for 3 blocks. And across blocks, the order of the triplets should not be the same. For all of the images some of them are neutral picture, and others are negative. For those three triplets, one triplet has the structure of "negative, neutral, neutral", one "neutral, neutral, negative", and one "neutral, neutral, neutral". It does not matter which exact neutral or negative image it selects from the pool, because we want some randomization among subjects. In a word, each picture as two property: 1) negative or neutral 2) it's position in the triplet.

I hope I made it clear what I'm trying to get! I made a few attempts but it's not getting me very far to what i want to achieve. My idea is :
<list negativeImages>
/ items = ("./stimuli/negative/2053.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2141.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2205.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2301.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2345.1.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2352.2.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2307.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2399.jpg","./stimuli/negative/2413.jpg")
</list>

2)create three item variables that select from the negative and neutral image lists to determine what's which image is placed as the first one of the triplet or second or third. e.g.,
<item 1stImages>
/1 = list.negativeImages
</item>
(Similar for <item 2ndImages> and <item 3rdImages>. Together item.1stImages.1 + item.2ndImages.1 + item.3rdImges.1 form the first triplet with structure "negative, neutral, neutral")

<picture 1stImages>
/items = 1stImages
/select = noreplace
</picture>

<picture 2ndImages>
/items = 2ndImages
</picture>

<picture 3rdImages>
/items =3rdImages
</picture>

Question1: I don't quite how to let each item selects from the list. The console kept giving me errors. I think it was expecting a string-type of input (the image path) instead of reading from a list

Question2: It's possible to get duplicated stimuli from the same category under 1stImages, 2ndImages, and 3rdImages, since they're under different item elements and selected from the same list. How can I solve that?

<trial encoding>
/ beginresponsetime = 0
</trial>

<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)
</block>

Question3: this snippet of code doesn't really do what I expect.It seems like there's no set order within the triplet: each image will be selected from the pool of negative/neutral each time. How can I achieve this part?

Question4: How should I display the same triplet for multiple times? How do I randomize triplet order?

Sorry about these many questions all at once. Hope I made everything clear. I'd appreciate any help I can get!

First you need to make clear how exactly you want your triplets paired. Do you want them randomly assembled from the given items, or do you want some pre-determined set of fixed triplets (consisting of images chosen beforehand)? I cannot really comment on the code, because -- no offense intended -- it doesn't make much sense in Inquisit terms, stuff like

<item 1stImages>
/1 = list.negativeImages
</item>

simply is not valid syntax, things don't work like that in Inquisit.

Also, you need to spell out how many triplets of each type -- type 1: neg/neu/neu; type 2: neu/neu/neg; type 3: neu/neu/neu -- you want within your 27 trial block. Given that you have only 9 negative items, it's unclear in what proportions you want those three types to occur without encountering any repeats.

Generally speaking, I would recommend setting up separate <trial> elements -- one per triplet type -- and then sampling those trials at the block-level as desired. Very roughly speaking:

// this would sample the three triplet types in equal proportions,
// but it's unclear whether that is the desired outcome
<block encoding>
/ trials = [1-27 = noreplace(neg_neu_neu, neu_neu_neg, neu_neu_neu)]
/ bgstim = (fixation)
</block>

//"negative, neutral, neutral" triplet
<trial neg_neu_neu>
/ stimulustimes = [500=neg; 2500=neu1; 4500=neu2]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

//"neutral, neutral, negative" triplet
<trial neu_neu_neg>
/ stimulustimes = [500=neu1; 2500=neu2; 4500=neg]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

//"neutral, neutral, neutral" triplet
<trial neu_neu_neu>
/ stimulustimes = [500=neu1; 2500=neu2; 4500=neu3]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text neu1>
/ items = neutral_items
/ select = list.neutralitemnumbers.nextindex
</text>

<text neu2>
/ items = neutral_items
</text>

<text neu3>
/ items = neutral_items
</text>

<text neg>
/ items = negative_items
/ select = list.negativeitemnumbers.nextindex
</text>

// how many neutral items are there???
<list neutralitemnumbers>
/ poolsize = ??
/ selectionrate = always
</list>

<item neutral_items>
/ 1 = "neu_01.jpg"
/ 2 = "neu_02.jpg"
/ 3 = "neu_03.jpg"
/ 4 = "neu_04.jpg"
/ 5 = "neu_05.jpg"
/ 6 = "neu_06.jpg"
/ 7 = "neu_07.jpg"
/ 8 = "neu_08.jpg"
/ 9 = "neu_09.jpg"
</item>

<list negativeitemnumbers>
/ poolsize = 9
</list>

<item negative_items>
/ 1 = "neg_01.jpg"
/ 2 = "neg_02.jpg"
/ 3 = "neg_03.jpg"
/ 4 = "neg_04.jpg"
/ 5 = "neg_05.jpg"
/ 6 = "neg_06.jpg"
/ 7 = "neg_07.jpg"
/ 8 = "neg_08.jpg"
/ 9 = "neg_09.jpg"
</item>

skyeysss
skyeysss
Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)
Thanks so much Dave!!! Your sample code works like a charm!

Dave - Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Hi,

<list negativeImages>
</list>

<item 1stImages>
/1 = list.negativeImages
</item>

<picture 1stImages>
/items = 1stImages
/select = noreplace
</picture>

<picture 2ndImages>
/items = 2ndImages
</picture>

<picture 3rdImages>
/items =3rdImages
</picture>

<trial encoding>
/ beginresponsetime = 0
</trial>

<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)
</block>

First you need to make clear how exactly you want your triplets paired. Do you want them randomly assembled from the given items, or do you want some pre-determined set of fixed triplets (consisting of images chosen beforehand)? I cannot really comment on the code, because -- no offense intended -- it doesn't make much sense in Inquisit terms, stuff like

<item 1stImages>
/1 = list.negativeImages
</item>

Also, you need to spell out how many triplets of each type -- type 1: neg/neu/neu; type 2: neu/neu/neg; type 3: neu/neu/neu -- you want within your 27 trial block. Given that you have only 9 negative items, it's unclear in what proportions you want those three types to occur without encountering any repeats.

Generally speaking, I would recommend setting up separate <trial> elements -- one per triplet type -- and then sampling those trials at the block-level as desired. Very roughly speaking:

<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)
</block>

<trial neg_neu_neu>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<trial neu_neu_neg>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<trial neu_neu_neu>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text neu1>
/ items = neutral_items
</text>

<text neu2>
/ items = neutral_items
</text>

<text neu3>
/ items = neutral_items
</text>

<text neg>
/ items = negative_items
</text>

/ poolsize = ??
/ selectionrate = always
</list>

<item neutral_items>
/ 1 = "neu_01.jpg"
/ 2 = "neu_02.jpg"
/ 3 = "neu_03.jpg"
/ 4 = "neu_04.jpg"
/ 5 = "neu_05.jpg"
/ 6 = "neu_06.jpg"
/ 7 = "neu_07.jpg"
/ 8 = "neu_08.jpg"
/ 9 = "neu_09.jpg"
</item>

/ poolsize = 9
</list>

<item negative_items>
/ 1 = "neg_01.jpg"
/ 2 = "neg_02.jpg"
/ 3 = "neg_03.jpg"
/ 4 = "neg_04.jpg"
/ 5 = "neg_05.jpg"
/ 6 = "neg_06.jpg"
/ 7 = "neg_07.jpg"
/ 8 = "neg_08.jpg"
/ 9 = "neg_09.jpg"
</item>

skyeysss
skyeysss
<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)

Hi,

<list negativeImages>
</list>

<item 1stImages>
/1 = list.negativeImages
</item>

<picture 1stImages>
/items = 1stImages
/select = noreplace
</picture>

<picture 2ndImages>
/items = 2ndImages
</picture>

<picture 3rdImages>
/items =3rdImages
</picture>

<trial encoding>
/ beginresponsetime = 0
</trial>

<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)
</block>

<item 1stImages>
/1 = list.negativeImages
</item>

<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)
</block>

<trial neg_neu_neu>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<trial neu_neu_neg>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<trial neu_neu_neu>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text neu1>
/ items = neutral_items
</text>

<text neu2>
/ items = neutral_items
</text>

<text neu3>
/ items = neutral_items
</text>

<text neg>
/ items = negative_items
</text>

/ poolsize = ??
/ selectionrate = always
</list>

<item neutral_items>
/ 1 = "neu_01.jpg"
/ 2 = "neu_02.jpg"
/ 3 = "neu_03.jpg"
/ 4 = "neu_04.jpg"
/ 5 = "neu_05.jpg"
/ 6 = "neu_06.jpg"
/ 7 = "neu_07.jpg"
/ 8 = "neu_08.jpg"
/ 9 = "neu_09.jpg"
</item>

/ poolsize = 9
</list>

<item negative_items>
/ 1 = "neg_01.jpg"
/ 2 = "neg_02.jpg"
/ 3 = "neg_03.jpg"
/ 4 = "neg_04.jpg"
/ 5 = "neg_05.jpg"
/ 6 = "neg_06.jpg"
/ 7 = "neg_07.jpg"
/ 8 = "neg_08.jpg"
/ 9 = "neg_09.jpg"
</item>

Hi Dave,

Thanks again for your help! One follow up questions (Sorry I didn't make it clear in the first place!):

In your sample code:
<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)

My desired outcome is to have neu_neu_neg, neu_neu_neg, and neu_neu_neu repeat with the same images three times in a block. So for example if neu_neu_neg triplet selects a cat image, a dog image, and a scary snake image, then those images will repeat three times in that order for every block. Now the code only repeat the image category, not really the exact images. Again sorry for not making it clear in the first place.

I've tried change the selctionrate under the lists of neutrualitemnumbers and negativeitemnumbers but nothing seems to give the desired results. Do you have any suggestions?

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
skyeysss - Tuesday, November 6, 2018
<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)

Hi,

<list negativeImages>
</list>

<item 1stImages>
/1 = list.negativeImages
</item>

<picture 1stImages>
/items = 1stImages
/select = noreplace
</picture>

<picture 2ndImages>
/items = 2ndImages
</picture>

<picture 3rdImages>
/items =3rdImages
</picture>

<trial encoding>
/ beginresponsetime = 0
</trial>

<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)
</block>

<item 1stImages>
/1 = list.negativeImages
</item>

<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)
</block>

<trial neg_neu_neu>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<trial neu_neu_neg>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<trial neu_neu_neu>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text neu1>
/ items = neutral_items
</text>

<text neu2>
/ items = neutral_items
</text>

<text neu3>
/ items = neutral_items
</text>

<text neg>
/ items = negative_items
</text>

/ poolsize = ??
/ selectionrate = always
</list>

<item neutral_items>
/ 1 = "neu_01.jpg"
/ 2 = "neu_02.jpg"
/ 3 = "neu_03.jpg"
/ 4 = "neu_04.jpg"
/ 5 = "neu_05.jpg"
/ 6 = "neu_06.jpg"
/ 7 = "neu_07.jpg"
/ 8 = "neu_08.jpg"
/ 9 = "neu_09.jpg"
</item>

/ poolsize = 9
</list>

<item negative_items>
/ 1 = "neg_01.jpg"
/ 2 = "neg_02.jpg"
/ 3 = "neg_03.jpg"
/ 4 = "neg_04.jpg"
/ 5 = "neg_05.jpg"
/ 6 = "neg_06.jpg"
/ 7 = "neg_07.jpg"
/ 8 = "neg_08.jpg"
/ 9 = "neg_09.jpg"
</item>

Hi Dave,

Thanks again for your help! One follow up questions (Sorry I didn't make it clear in the first place!):

In your sample code:
<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)

My desired outcome is to have neu_neu_neg, neu_neu_neg, and neu_neu_neu repeat with the same images three times in a block. So for example if neu_neu_neg triplet selects a cat image, a dog image, and a scary snake image, then those images will repeat three times in that order for every block. Now the code only repeat the image category, not really the exact images. Again sorry for not making it clear in the first place.

I've tried change the selctionrate under the lists of neutrualitemnumbers and negativeitemnumbers but nothing seems to give the desired results. Do you have any suggestions?

Then the best option is to set up your triplet items /onexptbegin or, if that's more suitable for your purposes, /onblockbegin:

<values>
/ neg_neu_neu_negitem = 1
/ neg_neu_neu_neuitem1 = 1
/ neg_neu_neu_neuitem2 = 1

/ neu_neu_neg_negitem = 1
/ neu_neu_neg_neuitem1 = 1
/ neu_neu_neg_neuitem2 = 1

/ neu_neu_neu_neuitem1 = 1
/ neu_neu_neu_neuitem2 = 1
/ neu_neu_neu_neuitem3 = 1

/ negitem = 1
/ neu1item = 1
/ neu2item = 1
/ neu3item = 1
</values>

//setting up the three triplets with fixed items:
<block encoding>
/ onblockbegin = [
values.neg_neu_neu_negitem = list.negativeitemnumbers.nextindex;
values.neg_neu_neu_neuitem1 = list.neutralitemnumbers.nextindex;
values.neg_neu_neu_neuitem2 = list.neutralitemnumbers.nextindex;

values.neu_neu_neg_negitem = list.negativeitemnumbers.nextindex;
values.neu_neu_neg_neuitem1 = list.neutralitemnumbers.nextindex;
values.neu_neu_neg_neuitem2 = list.neutralitemnumbers.nextindex;

values.neu_neu_neu_neuitem1 = list.neutralitemnumbers.nextindex;
values.neu_neu_neu_neuitem2 = list.neutralitemnumbers.nextindex;
values.neu_neu_neu_neuitem3 = list.neutralitemnumbers.nextindex;
]
</block>

<trial neg_neu_neu>
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.negitem = values.neg_neu_neu_negitem;
values.neu1item = values.neg_neu_neu_neuitem1;
values.neu2item = values.neg_neu_neu_neuitem2;
]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<trial neu_neu_neg>
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.negitem = values.neu_neu_neg_negitem;
values.neu1item = values.neu_neu_neg_neuitem1;
values.neu2item = values.neu_neu_neg_neuitem2;
]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<trial neu_neu_neu>
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.neu1item = values.neu_neu_neu_neuitem1;
values.neu2item = values.neu_neu_neu_neuitem2;
values.neu3item = values.neu_neu_neu_neuitem3;
]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text neu1>
/ items = neutral_items
/ select = values.neu1item
</text>

<text neu2>
/ items = neutral_items
/ select = values.neu2item
</text>

<text neu3>
/ items = neutral_items
/ select = values.neu3item
</text>

<text neg>
/ items = negative_items
/ select = values.negitem
</text>

/ poolsize = 9
/ selectionrate = always
</list>

<item neutral_items>
/ 1 = "neu_01.jpg"
/ 2 = "neu_02.jpg"
/ 3 = "neu_03.jpg"
/ 4 = "neu_04.jpg"
/ 5 = "neu_05.jpg"
/ 6 = "neu_06.jpg"
/ 7 = "neu_07.jpg"
/ 8 = "neu_08.jpg"
/ 9 = "neu_09.jpg"
</item>

/ poolsize = 9
/ selectionrate = always
</list>

<item negative_items>
/ 1 = "neg_01.jpg"
/ 2 = "neg_02.jpg"
/ 3 = "neg_03.jpg"
/ 4 = "neg_04.jpg"
/ 5 = "neg_05.jpg"
/ 6 = "neg_06.jpg"
/ 7 = "neg_07.jpg"
/ 8 = "neg_08.jpg"
/ 9 = "neg_09.jpg"
</item>

skyeysss
skyeysss
Dave - Tuesday, November 6, 2018
skyeysss - Tuesday, November 6, 2018
<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)

Hi,

<list negativeImages>
</list>

<item 1stImages>
/1 = list.negativeImages
</item>

<picture 1stImages>
/items = 1stImages
/select = noreplace
</picture>

<picture 2ndImages>
/items = 2ndImages
</picture>

<picture 3rdImages>
/items =3rdImages
</picture>

<trial encoding>
/ beginresponsetime = 0
</trial>

<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)
</block>

<item 1stImages>
/1 = list.negativeImages
</item>

<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)
</block>

<trial neg_neu_neu>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<trial neu_neu_neg>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<trial neu_neu_neu>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text neu1>
/ items = neutral_items
</text>

<text neu2>
/ items = neutral_items
</text>

<text neu3>
/ items = neutral_items
</text>

<text neg>
/ items = negative_items
</text>

/ poolsize = ??
/ selectionrate = always
</list>

<item neutral_items>
/ 1 = "neu_01.jpg"
/ 2 = "neu_02.jpg"
/ 3 = "neu_03.jpg"
/ 4 = "neu_04.jpg"
/ 5 = "neu_05.jpg"
/ 6 = "neu_06.jpg"
/ 7 = "neu_07.jpg"
/ 8 = "neu_08.jpg"
/ 9 = "neu_09.jpg"
</item>

/ poolsize = 9
</list>

<item negative_items>
/ 1 = "neg_01.jpg"
/ 2 = "neg_02.jpg"
/ 3 = "neg_03.jpg"
/ 4 = "neg_04.jpg"
/ 5 = "neg_05.jpg"
/ 6 = "neg_06.jpg"
/ 7 = "neg_07.jpg"
/ 8 = "neg_08.jpg"
/ 9 = "neg_09.jpg"
</item>

Hi Dave,

In your sample code:
<block encoding>
/ bgstim = (fixation)

Then the best option is to set up your triplet items /onexptbegin or, if that's more suitable for your purposes, /onblockbegin:

<values>
/ neg_neu_neu_negitem = 1
/ neg_neu_neu_neuitem1 = 1
/ neg_neu_neu_neuitem2 = 1

/ neu_neu_neg_negitem = 1
/ neu_neu_neg_neuitem1 = 1
/ neu_neu_neg_neuitem2 = 1

/ neu_neu_neu_neuitem1 = 1
/ neu_neu_neu_neuitem2 = 1
/ neu_neu_neu_neuitem3 = 1

/ negitem = 1
/ neu1item = 1