Cyberball ball response delay

Author
EstherKlinkenberg
Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear all,

For my adjusted cyberball experiment I would like to modify the time interval between the mouse click of the participant and the "response of the ball". For example, the participant clicks on player 1 to throw the ball to player 1 but the gif showing the ball movement will only start 500 ms after the mouse click.

Is it possible to do this in Inquisit? Or do I have to modify the gif so that it will just show a picture for the first 500 ms?

script for player 3 throwing ball to player 2 (participant) and player 2 to player 1:

<trial 3to2>
/ontrialbegin = [values.player = 2]
/ stimulusframes = [1= 3to2, player1label, player2label, player3label, player4label]
/ validresponse = (text.player1label, text.player3label, text.player4label)
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ontrialend = [if (trial.3to2.response == "player1label") {values.recipient = 1; values.count_player2throws += 1}]
/ontrialend = [if (trial.3to2.response == "player3label") {values.recipient = 3; values.count_player2throws += 1}]
/ontrialend = [if (trial.3to2.response == "player4label") {values.recipient = 4;values.count_player2throws += 1}]
/ branch = [if (values.recipient == 1) trial.2to1]
/ branch = [if (values.recipient == 3) trial.2to3]
/ branch = [if (values.recipient == 4) trial.2to4]
</trial>

<trial 2to1>
/ontrialbegin = [values.player = 1]
/ stimulusframes = [1= 2to1, player1label, player2label, player3label, player4label]
/ validresponse = (noresponse)
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ontrialend = [if (list.player1schedule.nextvalue == 2) {values.recipient = 2; values.count_player1throws += 1}]
/ontrialend = [if (list.player1schedule.nextvalue == 3) {values.recipient = 3; values.count_player1throws += 1}]
/ontrialend = [if (list.player1schedule.nextvalue == 4) {values.recipient = 4; values.count_player1throws += 1}]
/ trialduration = expressions.cyberdecisiontime
/ branch = [if (list.player1schedule.currentvalue == 2) trial.1to2]
/ branch = [if (list.player1schedule.currentvalue == 3) trial.1to3]
/ branch = [if (list.player1schedule.currentvalue == 4) trial.1to4]

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Esther
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
EstherKlinkenberg - Tuesday, November 6, 2018
Dear all,

For my adjusted cyberball experiment I would like to modify the time interval between the mouse click of the participant and the "response of the ball". For example, the participant clicks on player 1 to throw the ball to player 1 but the gif showing the ball movement will only start 500 ms after the mouse click.

Is it possible to do this in Inquisit? Or do I have to modify the gif so that it will just show a picture for the first 500 ms?

script for player 3 throwing ball to player 2 (participant) and player 2 to player 1:

<trial 3to2>
/ stimulusframes = [1= 3to2, player1label, player2label, player3label, player4label]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ontrialend = [if (trial.3to2.response == "player1label") {values.recipient = 1; values.count_player2throws += 1}]
/ontrialend = [if (trial.3to2.response == "player3label") {values.recipient = 3; values.count_player2throws += 1}]
/ontrialend = [if (trial.3to2.response == "player4label") {values.recipient = 4;values.count_player2throws += 1}]
</trial>

<trial 2to1>
/ stimulusframes = [1= 2to1, player1label, player2label, player3label, player4label]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ontrialend = [if (list.player1schedule.nextvalue == 2) {values.recipient = 2; values.count_player1throws += 1}]
/ontrialend = [if (list.player1schedule.nextvalue == 3) {values.recipient = 3; values.count_player1throws += 1}]
/ontrialend = [if (list.player1schedule.nextvalue == 4) {values.recipient = 4; values.count_player1throws += 1}]

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Esther

If you add either a 500 ms /pretrialpause or /posttrialpause to the <trial> elements, that should do the trick.

<trial 2to1>
/ pretrialpause = 500
</trial>

Alternatively, you can change /stimulusframes to /stimulustimes and only display the stimuli starting 500ms into the <trial>

/ stimulustimes  =  [500 =  2to1, player1label, player2label, player3label, player4label]

and if you want to delay just the video, but not the other stimuli, do

/ stimulustimes  =  [0= , player1label, player2label, player3label, player4label; 500 =  2to1]

EstherKlinkenberg
EstherKlinkenberg
Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Tuesday, November 6, 2018
Dear all,

<trial 3to2>
/ inputdevice = mouse
</trial>

<trial 2to1>
/ inputdevice = mouse

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Esther

If you add either a 500 ms /pretrialpause or /posttrialpause to the <trial> elements, that should do the trick.

<trial 2to1>
/ pretrialpause = 500
</trial>

Alternatively, you can change /stimulusframes to /stimulustimes and only display the stimuli starting 500ms into the <trial>

/ stimulustimes  =  [500 =  2to1, player1label, player2label, player3label, player4label]

/ stimulustimes  =  [0= , player1label, player2label, player3label, player4label; 500 =  2to1]

Hi Dave!

Thank you for your answer!

Using the /pretrialpause seems to work. However, instead of showing nothing during that pause, I'd like there to be a picture as if the participant is still holding the ball.

Is it possible to show a picture during the pretrialpause? (it already continues to show the player labels but I am not sure why).

Kind regards,
Esther Klinkenberg
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
EstherKlinkenberg - Monday, November 12, 2018
Dave - Tuesday, November 6, 2018
Dear all,

<trial 3to2>
/ inputdevice = mouse
</trial>

<trial 2to1>
/ inputdevice = mouse

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Esther

<trial 2to1>
/ pretrialpause = 500
</trial>

Hi Dave!

Thank you for your answer!

Using the /pretrialpause seems to work. However, instead of showing nothing during that pause, I'd like there to be a picture as if the participant is still holding the ball.

Is it possible to show a picture during the pretrialpause? (it already continues to show the player labels but I am not sure why).

Kind regards,
Esther Klinkenberg

It's not possible to draw stimuli to the screen during /pretrialpause. What you can do is draw what you want displayed before then, i.e. at the end of the preceding trial, and set that stimulus to /erase = false. Otherwise, don't use the /pretrialpause approach but the /stimulustimes option I described earlier. Then you can draw stimuli to the screen whenever you want.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search