Running on MacOS 10.14 Mojave

Author
hhunkin
Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello

I have been running some Inquisit experiments on the latest MacOS version and occasionally Inquisit will crash when loading the experiment, but other than that it has been working successfully.  Today after a crash, Inquisit told me that my license had expired (as far as I know, it hasn't).  Perhaps related to this is the fact that when I start Inquisit now, it shows an entirely different computer key each time.

Anything simple I can do to resolve this to keep Inquisit 4 working for now?

Hugh
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
hhunkin - Sunday, November 11, 2018
Hello

I have been running some Inquisit experiments on the latest MacOS version and occasionally Inquisit will crash when loading the experiment, but other than that it has been working successfully.  Today after a crash, Inquisit told me that my license had expired (as far as I know, it hasn't).  Perhaps related to this is the fact that when I start Inquisit now, it shows an entirely different computer key each time.

Hugh

It may be that the registration information got corrupted or accidentally deleted (this may or may not be related to the crash you described). To get the installation re-registered, log in to your millisecond.com account, go to the "Transfer Inquisit" page, and submit a transfer request for one (1) Inquisit 4 Lab license. This will credit your account with one additional available key, i.e. you can use that to obtain a valid registration key for the new computer key as usual.

seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)
We have an update that addresses the registration corruption issue. Although it hasn't been released yet, you can pick up the update here: 
https://inquisit.millisecond.com/5/5_0_14_0/mac/Inquisit_50140.pkg

Give that a try (along with Dave's instructions for re-registering. 

Also, if you send us the crash report for one of these crashes, we can make sure it gets fixed in this update.

Thanks,
Sean

hhunkin
hhunkin
Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)Respected Member (403 reputation)
seandr - Monday, November 12, 2018
We have an update that addresses the registration corruption issue. Although it hasn't been released yet, you can pick up the update here: 
https://inquisit.millisecond.com/5/5_0_14_0/mac/Inquisit_50140.pkg

Give that a try (along with Dave's instructions for re-registering. 

Also, if you send us the crash report for one of these crashes, we can make sure it gets fixed in this update.

Thanks,
Sean

Thanks Sean.  This is for Inquisit 4 so I assume the link you gave would not be appropriate, as it looks like it's for v5.
hhunkin
hhunkin
Dave - Monday, November 12, 2018
Hello

Hugh

It may be that the registration information got corrupted or accidentally deleted (this may or may not be related to the crash you described). To get the installation re-registered, log in to your millisecond.com account, go to the "Transfer Inquisit" page, and submit a transfer request for one (1) Inquisit 4 Lab license. This will credit your account with one additional available key, i.e. you can use that to obtain a valid registration key for the new computer key as usual.

Thanks for the quick response Dave. My worry is that the program is generating a completely new computer key each time I restart Inquisit!  Therefore I wonder whether the registration will last more than one session.  However I will give this a go.  As I am using an Institutional license I need to contact someone else who manages the Inquisit account to do the license transfer, hence why I have not tried already.

If that fails I might try uninstalling the application and dumping any associated files from ~/Library then reinstalling and seeing how that goes.

Hugh
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
hhunkin - Tuesday, November 13, 2018
Hello

Hugh

Thanks for the quick response Dave. My worry is that the program is generating a completely new computer key each time I restart Inquisit!  Therefore I wonder whether the registration will last more than one session.  However I will give this a go.  As I am using an Institutional license I need to contact someone else who manages the Inquisit account to do the license transfer, hence why I have not tried already.

If that fails I might try uninstalling the application and dumping any associated files from ~/Library then reinstalling and seeing how that goes.

Hugh

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Yes, a new computer key being generated on each application start definitely points to corruption of the registration information (i.e. the location where it's stored is not writeable anymore, which is why the key doesn't "stick"). Did installing the newer version Sean posted, which will attempt to detect and fix this type of corruption, make any difference?

hhunkin
hhunkin
Dave - Tuesday, November 13, 2018
hhunkin - Tuesday, November 13, 2018
Hello

Hugh

Hugh

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Yes, a new computer key being generated on each application start definitely points to corruption of the registration information (i.e. the location where it's stored is not writeable anymore, which is why the key doesn't "stick"). Did installing the newer version Sean posted, which will attempt to detect and fix this type of corruption, make any difference?

Thanks Dave.  The update Sean posted appears to be for Inquisit 5, so I assume will not work for me.  However, after a bit of fiddling I located the registration file you mentioned, and after I restored the pre-crash version of this file using Time Machine, Inquisit started working again fine with the existing license.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search