Picture disappears

Author
shareli@univ.haifa.ac.il
Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all
I created a survey using sliders. On top, there is a picture. Participants are "forced" to answer and can't go to the next page without moving the sliders. 
However, if they want to keep a slider at default position or for whatever reason they wish to go to the next page, the picture disappears. So if they want to respond and correct the "no response", the stimulus s not there. Is there a way to keep the picture or make it reappear? 
Thanks much
Shlomo 
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
shareli@univ.haifa.ac.il - Saturday, December 1, 2018
Hi all
I created a survey using sliders. On top, there is a picture. Participants are "forced" to answer and can't go to the next page without moving the sliders. 
However, if they want to keep a slider at default position or for whatever reason they wish to go to the next page, the picture disappears. So if they want to respond and correct the "no response", the stimulus s not there. Is there a way to keep the picture or make it reappear? 
Thanks much
Shlomo 

The solution is to show the picture on the surveypage via an <image> element displayed via the page's /questions attribute, not a <picture> displayed via /stimulusframes.

I.e.
<surveypage mypage>
/ questions = [1=myimage; 2=myslider]
</surveypage>

with

<image myimage>
/ items = ("example.jpg")
/ imagesize = (50%, 20%)
</image>

instead of

<surveypage mypage>
/ stimulusframes = [1=mypicture]
/ questions = [1=myslider]
</surveypage>

with

<picture mypicture>
/ items = ("example.jpg")
</picture>

If you run the page via a <block> and need to display it repeatedly during the block with different images selected, you can do something like this:

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-5=Explicit1]
</block>

<item valence>
/1 = "prime_lit1.jpg"
/2 = "prime_lit2.jpg"
/3 = "prime_lit3.jpg"
/4 = "prime_lit4.jpg"
/5 = "prime_lit5.jpg"
</item>

<picture valpic>
/ items = valence
/ position = (-20%,-20%)
</picture>

<image val>
/items = ("<%picture.valpic.currentitem%>")
/ position = (6.25%,2%)
/ imagesize = (50%, 20%)
</image>

<slider slid_val>
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 4%)
/ position = (14%, 75%)
/ labels = ("Negative", "Positive")
/ range = (1,9)
/ slidersize = (60%, 6%)
/ showtooltips = false
/ required = true
</slider>

<surveypage Explicit1>
/ stimulusframes = [1=valpic]
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3%, false, true)
/ questions=[1=val;2=slid_val]
/ showpagenumbers = false
/ showquestionnumbers = false
/ finishlabel = "Next"
/ nextbuttonposition = (60%, 90%)
</surveypage>

shareli@univ.haifa.ac.il
shareli@univ.haifa.ac.il
Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)Respected Member (497 reputation)
Hi all
Thanks much
Shlomo 

Thanks much
But this is a very problematic way to go about it since I need to present the same picture across different pages and I need to select it randomly from a set of items. 
I think I will stay with the picture and required- false although this is problematic.  
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
shareli@univ.haifa.ac.il - Monday, December 3, 2018
Hi all
Thanks much
Shlomo 

Thanks much
But this is a very problematic way to go about it since I need to present the same picture across different pages and I need to select it randomly from a set of items. 
I think I will stay with the picture and required- false although this is problematic.  

It's not a problem at all to (a) select an item randomly, and then (b) present the same item across different pages with this approach.

shareli@univ.haifa.ac.il
shareli@univ.haifa.ac.il
Dave - Monday, December 3, 2018
Hi all
Thanks much
Shlomo 

Thanks much

It's not a problem at all to (a) select an item randomly, and then (b) present the same item across different pages with this approach.

Thanks much
shareli@univ.haifa.ac.il
shareli@univ.haifa.ac.il
Hi all
Thanks much
Shlomo 

Thanks much

Thanks much

O.K. thanks. I will do that
Shlomo

Dave
Dave
Hi all
Thanks much
Shlomo 

Thanks much

Thanks much

O.K. thanks. I will do that
Shlomo

Here's an example, several variations along the same lines are possible. Basically, whatever you can pull off with <picture> elements, you can pull off with a combination of <picture> (displayed offscreen) and <image> elements as well:

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-3 = sequence(a,b,c,d)]
</block>

<item picitems>
/ 1 = "01.jpg"
/ 1 = "02.jpg"
/ 1 = "03.jpg"
</item>

<picture mypicture>
/ items = picitems
/ position = (-20%,-20%)
/ size = (0%, 0%)
</picture>

<image myimage>
/items = ("<%picture.mypicture.currentitem%>")
/ imagesize = (50%, 40%)
</image>

<surveypage a>
/ stimulusframes = [1=mypicture]
/ caption = "Page A"
/ questions = [1=myimage; 2=slider_a]
/ showquestionnumbers = false
/ showpagenumbers = false
</surveypage>

<surveypage b>
/ caption = "Page B"
/ questions = [1=myimage; 2=slider_b]