How to restrain participant answers to only 3 words on my modified letter memory task ?

Author
labdandeneau@gmail.com
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I modified the letter memory task so that the items are words rather than letters. However, I realized that a way to cheat the task would be to simply select as many words as possible in the recall portion. I want the participants to only be able to select 3 words in the recall portion of each trial. The original letter memory task we modified did not have this problem. 

This is the file below.
Attachments
TheWordMemoryTaskModified2DATA.iqx (429 views, 65.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
labdandeneau@gmail.com - Sunday, January 6, 2019
I modified the letter memory task so that the items are words rather than letters. However, I realized that a way to cheat the task would be to simply select as many words as possible in the recall portion. I want the participants to only be able to select 3 words in the recall portion of each trial. The original letter memory task we modified did not have this problem. 

This is the file below.

> However, I realized that a way to cheat the task would be to simply select as many words as possible in the recall portion.

No, this is not a way to cheat the task. Your script (based on https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost25959.aspx as far as I can see) only takes the *first three words* selected into account, which is the exact same way the original letter-based task behaves: It only takes the first three letters selected into account, any additional ones are ignored.

If you only want to *display* the first three words selected during the recall-trial, you can define the <text> element(s) responsible for that like so:

<text recalledwords>
/ items = ("<%list.recalledWords.item(1)%> <%list.recalledWords.item(2)%> <%list.recalledWords.item(3)%>")
/ position = (50%, 83%)
/ txcolor = red
/ erase = false
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 5%, true, false, false, false, 5, 1)
</text>

Edited 5 Years Ago by Dave
labdandeneau@gmail.com
labdandeneau@gmail.com
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Monday, January 7, 2019
labdandeneau@gmail.com - Sunday, January 6, 2019

This is the file below.

> However, I realized that a way to cheat the task would be to simply select as many words as possible in the recall portion.

No, this is not a way to cheat the task. Your script (based on https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost25959.aspx as far as I can see) only takes the *first three words* selected into account, which is the exact same way the original letter-based task behaves: It only takes the first three letters selected into account, any additional ones are ignored.

If you only want to *display* the first three words selected during the recall-trial, you can define the <text> element(s) responsible for that like so:

<text recalledwords>
/ items = ("<%list.recalledWords.item(1)%> <%list.recalledWords.item(2)%> <%list.recalledWords.item(3)%>")
/ position = (50%, 83%)
/ txcolor = red
/ erase = false
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 5%, true, false, false, false, 5, 1)
</text>

Thank you, still kind of new at designing tasks

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search