recording when a line is started in multiline textbox

Author
thv
Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
I am having participants enter responses into a textbox on an openended trial. I set multiline as true, and would like to be able to tell when the participant pressed 'enter' to start a new line.
Right now the responses come out as if they just pressed space (instead of enter), which makes it confusing to read the responses at times.
Is there any way to get something in my data to tell when they started a new line? (I am ok if it is recorded as a newline character such as ~n or something else)

Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
thv - Tuesday, February 12, 2019
Hello,
I am having participants enter responses into a textbox on an openended trial. I set multiline as true, and would like to be able to tell when the participant pressed 'enter' to start a new line.
Right now the responses come out as if they just pressed space (instead of enter), which makes it confusing to read the responses at times.
Is there any way to get something in my data to tell when they started a new line? (I am ok if it is recorded as a newline character such as ~n or something else)

Thanks!

No, I'm afraid there isn't. One alternative might be to use a <surveypage> with several single-line <textbox> elements instead of <openended>. E.g. if you expect your participants to provide up five short, distinct statements, you could do something like this:

<block exampleblock>
/ trials = [1=examplepage]
</block>

<surveypage examplepage>
/ caption = "Please provide up to five statements below:"
/ questions = [1=s1; 2=s2; 3=s3; 4=s4; 5=s5]
/ showpagenumbers = false
/ showquestionnumbers = false
/ finishlabel = "Submit"
</surveypage>

<textbox s1>
/ textboxsize = (80%, 5%)