batch randomization of file order

Author
mikmurphy
Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I’m designing a study and trying to include 2 levels of randomization. Participants will be completing 34 measures (26 surveys and 8 behavioral tasks). The measures are divided into 4 batches (the surveys are divided into batches 1 and 3 and behavioral tasks are divided into batches 2 and 4). Here are the batches: 

<batch 1>
"Study Measures.iqx"
"AUDIT.iqx"
"Lifestyle Behavior Checklist.iqx"
"DUDIT.iqx"
"UPPS.iqx"
"SCS.iqx"
"Single Item Risk Taking.iqx"
"DDT.iqx"
"PHQ-9.iqx"
"GAD-7.iqx"
"BRIEF-A.iqx"
"Screen Time Questions.iqx"
</batch>

<batch 2>
"stroopwithcontrolkeyboard.iqx"
"singletasknback.iqx"
"keeptracktask.iqx"
"wcst.iqx"
</batch>

<batch 3>
"OSU-TBI Self-Report.iqx"
"MDQ.iqx"
"Diagnostic Questions.iqx"
"OCI-R.iqx"
"LSAS-SR.iqx"
"PDSS-SR.iqx"
"EDE-QS.iqx"
"PCL-5.iqx"
"EPA-SSF.iqx"
"ASRS.iqx"
"NEO 10 item personality.iqx"
"YRBS suicidality questions.iqx"
"MAAS.iqx"
"Q-LES-Q-SF.iqx"
</batch>

<batch 4>
"stopsignaltask.iqx"
"trailmakingtest.iqx"
"categoryswitchtask.iqx"
“Number Letter Task.iqx"
</batch> 

I'm wondering if there is a way to achieve 2 levels of randomization: random assignment to batch order and random order of files in each batch? I know that I can achieve the first level by manually creating a batch file for each combination. Now, I’m wondering if it's possible to randomize the order of files in each batch to achieve the second level of randomization? I know this was not possible in earlier versions of Inquisit, but wondering if that has changed? 
Thanks for your help!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
mikmurphy - Thursday, February 28, 2019
Hello,

I’m designing a study and trying to include 2 levels of randomization. Participants will be completing 34 measures (26 surveys and 8 behavioral tasks). The measures are divided into 4 batches (the surveys are divided into batches 1 and 3 and behavioral tasks are divided into batches 2 and 4). Here are the batches: 

<batch 1>
"Study Measures.iqx"
"AUDIT.iqx"
"Lifestyle Behavior Checklist.iqx"
"DUDIT.iqx"
"UPPS.iqx"
"SCS.iqx"
"Single Item Risk Taking.iqx"
"DDT.iqx"
"PHQ-9.iqx"
"GAD-7.iqx"
"BRIEF-A.iqx"
"Screen Time Questions.iqx"
</batch>

<batch 2>
"stroopwithcontrolkeyboard.iqx"
"singletasknback.iqx"
"keeptracktask.iqx"
"wcst.iqx"
</batch>

<batch 3>
"OSU-TBI Self-Report.iqx"
"MDQ.iqx"
"Diagnostic Questions.iqx"
"OCI-R.iqx"
"LSAS-SR.iqx"
"PDSS-SR.iqx"
"EDE-QS.iqx"
"PCL-5.iqx"
"EPA-SSF.iqx"
"ASRS.iqx"
"NEO 10 item personality.iqx"
"YRBS suicidality questions.iqx"
"MAAS.iqx"
"Q-LES-Q-SF.iqx"
</batch>

<batch 4>
"stopsignaltask.iqx"
"trailmakingtest.iqx"
"categoryswitchtask.iqx"
“Number Letter Task.iqx"
</batch> 

I'm wondering if there is a way to achieve 2 levels of randomization: random assignment to batch order and random order of files in each batch? I know that I can achieve the first level by manually creating a batch file for each combination. Now, I’m wondering if it's possible to randomize the order of files in each batch to achieve the second level of randomization? I know this was not possible in earlier versions of Inquisit, but wondering if that has changed? 
Thanks for your help!

Under current versions of Inquisit 5, the order of scripts in a <batch> can be randomized like so:

<batch>
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ selectionmode = random
</batch>

mikmurphy
mikmurphy
Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)Associate Member (159 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you so much for your help! 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search