Inquisit 5 Visual Search Task - Target Present not recording for all trials

Inquisit 5 Visual Search Task - Target Present not recording for all...
Author
Elaine
Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
I've been running an edited version of Motter's Visual Search task using words instead of letters.
I'm having problems getting the 'values.target.present' column to show data for all trials. It is showing 0 (not present) and 1 (present) for all the practice trials, as it should, but only some of the task trials. This is seemingly at random, throughout all of the conditions and in a variety of word positions. 
I have no idea which bit of code needs altering, or if there is a way to recover any of this data from trials already undertaken.
I've copied some of the code below, but as I don't know which bit of code the problem relates to, please let me know what it would be helpful for me to post here (e.g. values/ lists).

Any advice gratefully received
Many thanks.

-<list Threat3T_targetPresent>
/items =  (0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
/ selectionmode = list.arraysize_Threat.currentindex
</list>
also
-<trial Threat3T>
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.arraysize = list.arraysize_Threat.nextvalue;
values.selectTarget = list.Threat_targetStimItemNumber.nextvalue;
values.currentTarget = values.selectTarget;
values.targetPresent = list.Threat3T_targetPresent.nextvalue;
etc.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Elaine - Thursday, April 25, 2019
Hello,
I've been running an edited version of Motter's Visual Search task using words instead of letters.
I'm having problems getting the 'values.target.present' column to show data for all trials. It is showing 0 (not present) and 1 (present) for all the practice trials, as it should, but only some of the task trials. This is seemingly at random, throughout all of the conditions and in a variety of word positions. 
I have no idea which bit of code needs altering, or if there is a way to recover any of this data from trials already undertaken.
I've copied some of the code below, but as I don't know which bit of code the problem relates to, please let me know what it would be helpful for me to post here (e.g. values/ lists).

Many thanks.

</list>
also
-<trial Threat3T>
/ ontrialbegin = [
etc.

For someone to assess this, please provide:
(1) The full modified script and any external files that script requires to run. Please don't paste the code into a post's body, but attach the files to your post via +Insert -> Add File.
(2) A description of the various changes to the code you made and why each change was made.
(3) One or two data files illustrating the problem.

Elaine
Elaine
Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)Associate Member (235 reputation)
Dave - Thursday, April 25, 2019
Hello,

Many thanks.

</list>
also
-<trial Threat3T>
/ ontrialbegin = [
etc.

(1) The full modified script and any external files that script requires to run. Please don't paste the code into a post's body, but attach the files to your post via +Insert -> Add File.
(2) A description of the various changes to the code you made and why each change was made.

Thank you. 
I adapted the 'Visual Search Task (Divided Attention)'. I've changed the letters to words (threat, neutral and positive - 3x8 rather than 4x6) in line with Rinck (2003) and created additional conditions, threat in a positive, neutral and threat matrix, neutral in a threat, positive and neutral matrix and positive in a threat, neutral and positive matrix. I've changed the array size to always be 24, and I've also prevented the target from being added as a distractor.

Many thanks for your help.

Attachments
troubled.jpg (275 views, 10.00 KB)
upset.jpg (262 views, 8.00 KB)
worries.jpg (259 views, 10.00 KB)
tense.jpg (261 views, 8.00 KB)
nervous.jpg (258 views, 10.00 KB)
harm.jpg (260 views, 7.00 KB)
disaster.jpg (299 views, 10.00 KB)
anxious.jpg (248 views, 10.00 KB)
z VST.v11 Final.iqx (230 views, 153.00 KB)
wonderful.jpg (244 views, 12.00 KB)
wealth.jpg (233 views, 9.00 KB)
summer.jpg (264 views, 10.00 KB)
striped.jpg (239 views, 10.00 KB)
relaxing.jpg (248 views, 11.00 KB)
rare.jpg (246 views, 7.00 KB)
outing.jpg (256 views, 9.00 KB)
hard boiled.jpg (247 views, 13.00 KB)
funny.jpg (265 views, 8.00 KB)
fried.jpg (267 views, 7.00 KB)
fascinating.jpg (251 views, 14.00 KB)
dreamy.jpg (271 views, 10.00 KB)
deep frozen.jpg (247 views, 14.00 KB)
curtain.jpg (262 views, 8.00 KB)
butter.jpg (259 views, 9.00 KB)
apron.jpg (247 views, 8.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Hello,

Many thanks.

</list>
also
-<trial Threat3T>
/ ontrialbegin = [
etc.

Thank you. 
I adapted the 'Visual Search Task (Divided Attention)'. I've changed the letters to words (threat, neutral and positive - 3x8 rather than 4x6) in line with Rinck (2003) and created additional conditions, threat in a positive, neutral and threat matrix, neutral in a threat, positive and neutral matrix and positive in a threat, neutral and positive matrix. I've changed the array size to always be 24, and I've also prevented the target from being added as a distractor.

<list arraySize_Threat>
/items = (
24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24,
24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24)
/ replace = false
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

has 32 items, i.e. the index runs from 1 to 32.

Your various targetPresent lists are linked to the above per its index:

// 11 items
<list Threat1N_targetPresent>
/items = (
0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
/ selectionmode = list.arraySize_Threat.currentindex
</list>

// 11 items
<list Threat2P_targetPresent>
/items = (
</list>

// 10 items
<list Threat3T_targetPresent>
/items = (
0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
</list>

Those lists have 11 and 10 items respectively, i.e. the index runs from 1 to 11 and 1 to 10 respectively.

Whenever you have an index number sampled in list.arraySize_Threat that does not exist in the target present lists linked to it, say for example index 18, the list will return nothing.

The exact same flaw exists for the neutral and positive conditions as well.

Elaine
Elaine
Hello,

Many thanks.

</list>
also
-<trial Threat3T>
/ ontrialbegin = [
etc.

Thank you. 

<list arraySize_Threat>
/items = (
/ replace = false
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

// 11 items
/items = (
</list>

// 11 items
/items = (
</list>

// 10 items
/items = (
</list>

Those lists have 11 and 10 items respectively, i.e. the index runs from 1 to 11 and 1 to 10 respectively.

Whenever you have an index number sampled in list.arraySize_Threat that does not exist in the target present lists linked to it, say for example index 18, the list will return nothing.

Thank you for your response, I created separate lists for each condition and this fixed the problem. Also, just to be clear, I'm assuming there is nothing I can do to work out whether the target was absent or present in the trials that have already been recorded where there was no indication of target presence/absence? I'm purely asking out of desperation...
Many thanks

Dave
Dave
Hello,

Many thanks.

</list>
also
-<trial Threat3T>
/ ontrialbegin = [
etc.

Thank you. 

<list arraySize_Threat>
/items = (
/ replace = false
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

// 11 items
/items = (
</list>

// 11 items
/items = (
</list>

// 10 items
/items = (
</list>

Thank you for your response, I created separate lists for each condition and this fixed the problem. Also, just to be clear, I'm assuming there is nothing I can do to work out whether the target was absent or present in the trials that have already been recorded where there was no indication of target presence/absence? I'm purely asking out of desperation...
Many thanks

Given the logic

if (!values.targetPresent){
values.selectTarget = list.Threat.nextvalue;
};

I think the target would have been present in all instances where the value was empty.

<values>
/ targetPresent = ""
/ index = 3
/ textitem = 1
</values>

<list targetpresent>
/ items = (0,1)
/ selectionmode = values.index
</list>

<trial example>
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.targetPresent = list.targetpresent.nextvalue;
]
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.textitem = 2;
};
]
/ stimulusframes = [1=target]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text target>
/ items = ("Present? YES", "Present? NO")
/ select = values.textitem
</text>

Elaine
Elaine
Hello,

Many thanks.

</list>
also
-<trial Threat3T>
/ ontrialbegin = [
etc.

Thank you. 

<list arraySize_Threat>
/items = (
/ replace = false
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

// 11 items
/items = (
</list>

// 11 items
/items = (
</list>

// 10 items
/items = (
</list>

Many thanks

Given the logic

values.selectTarget = list.Threat.nextvalue;
};

I think the target would have been present in all instances where the value was empty.

<values>
/ targetPresent = ""
/ index = 3
/ textitem = 1
</values>

<list targetpresent>
/ items = (0,1)
/ selectionmode = values.index
</list>

<trial example>
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.targetPresent = list.targetpresent.nextvalue;
]
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.textitem = 2;
};
]
/ stimulusframes = [1=target]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text target>
/ items = ("Present? YES", "Present? NO")
/ select = values.textitem
</text>

That's great, thank you!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search