Help for assimilate Inquisit 5 script into Inquisit 4

Author
Djo
Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I need to run the Short Attentional Network Tasks as well as the Category Switch Task, unfortunately they are only available for Inquisit 5.
Is there any possibility to implement it in Inquisit 4, as our working group only has a license for Inquisit 4.
If there is any chance or other opportunity to make the above mentioned Tests running for Inquisit 4 I would be glad to know.

Thank you in advance for your efforts,
Djo

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Djo - 5/28/2019
Hello,

I need to run the Short Attentional Network Tasks as well as the Category Switch Task, unfortunately they are only available for Inquisit 5.
Is there any possibility to implement it in Inquisit 4, as our working group only has a license for Inquisit 4.
If there is any chance or other opportunity to make the above mentioned Tests running for Inquisit 4 I would be glad to know.

Djo

You will have to replace all Inquisit 5-specific syntax features with Inquisit 4-compatible equivalents as far as any exist. Download the Inquisit 5 script, open it in Inquisit 4 Lab and parse it. You'll get a bunch of errors. Work through these one after another. Here are some things that typically need changing:

- You need to adjust the /minimumversion in the scripts' <defaults> elements.

- /columns attributes in Inquisit 4 only accept square brackets. I.e.

<data>
/ columns = (...)
</data>

works in Inquisit 5, but for Inquisit 4 it needs to read

<data>
/ columns = [...]
</data>

The same applies for <summarydata>.

- There is no <parameters> element in Inquisit 4, you need to use <values> instead. In addition, things like

<trial example>
/ validresponse = (values.key1, values.key2)
/ correctresponse = (values.key1)
</trial>

are not allowed in Inquisit 4. You need to use /isvalidresponse and /iscorrectresponse instead:

<trial example>
/ isvalidresponse = [trial.example.response == values.key1 || trial.example.response == values.key2]
/ iscorrectresponse = [trial.example.response == values.key1]
</trial>

- <list> elements in Inquisit 4 do not have mean, standarddeviation, median, etc. properties. Again, you'd have to use values and expressions to calculate e.g. means of interest instead.

- Inquisit 4 has no computer.touch and computer.haskeyboard properties, i.e. you need to change expressions like

<expressions>
/buttoninstruct1 = if (computer.touch && !computer.haskeyboard) {"button";} else {"key";}
/buttoninstruct2 = if (computer.touch && !computer.haskeyboard) {"Place your index fingers over the left and right response buttons";} else {"Place your index fingers on the 'E' and 'I' keys";}
</expressions>

to something like

<expressions>
/buttoninstruct1 = "key"
/buttoninstruct2 = "Place your index fingers on the 'E' and 'I' keys"
</expressions>

- Syntax like

<expt>
/ blocks = [1 = block.exampleblock]
</expt>

or

<trial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=text.exampletext]
</trial>

is not valid under Inquisit 4. The dot-notation has to be ditched:

<expt>
/ blocks = [1 = exampleblock]
</expt>

or

<trial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=exampletext]
</trial>

- Inquisit 4 has no built-in clearscreen element. Define a <shape> set to the screen color instead:

<shape clearscreen>
/ shape = rectangle
/ size = (100%, 100%)
/ erase = false
/ color = white
</shape>

For some things, there are no Inquisit 4 compatible equivalents, in which case you're out of luck, I'm afraid. Upgrading your licenses would be the way to go then.

Edited 5 Years Ago by Dave
Djo
Djo
Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 5/28/2019
Djo - 5/28/2019
Hello,

Djo

You will have to replace all Inquisit 5-specific syntax features with Inquisit 4-compatible equivalents as far as any exist. Download the Inquisit 5 script, open it in Inquisit 4 Lab and parse it. You'll get a bunch of errors. Work through these one after another. Here are some things that typically need changing:

- You need to adjust the /minimumversion in the scripts' <defaults> elements.

- /columns attributes in Inquisit 4 only accept square brackets. I.e.

<data>
/ columns = (...)
</data>

works in Inquisit 5, but for Inquisit 4 it needs to read

<data>
/ columns = [...]
</data>

The same applies for <summarydata>.

- There is no <parameters> element in Inquisit 4, you need to use <values> instead. In addition, things like

<trial example>
/ validresponse = (values.key1, values.key2)
/ correctresponse = (values.key1)
</trial>

are not allowed in Inquisit 4. You need to use /isvalidresponse and /iscorrectresponse instead:

<trial example>
/ isvalidresponse = [trial.example.response == values.key1 || trial.example.response == values.key2]
/ iscorrectresponse = [trial.example.response == values.key1]
</trial>

- <list> elements in Inquisit 4 do not have mean, standarddeviation, median, etc. properties. Again, you'd have to use values and expressions to calculate e.g. means of interest instead.

- Inquisit 4 has no computer.touch and computer.haskeyboard properties, i.e. you need to change expressions like

<expressions>
/buttoninstruct1 = if (computer.touch && !computer.haskeyboard) {"button";} else {"key";}
/buttoninstruct2 = if (computer.touch && !computer.haskeyboard) {"Place your index fingers over the left and right response buttons";} else {"Place your index fingers on the 'E' and 'I' keys";}
</expressions>

to something like

<expressions>
/buttoninstruct1 = "key"
/buttoninstruct2 = "Place your index fingers on the 'E' and 'I' keys"
</expressions>

- Syntax like

<expt>
/ blocks = [1 = block.exampleblock]
</expt>

or

<trial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=text.exampletext]
</trial>

is not valid under Inquisit 4. The dot-notation has to be ditched:

<expt>
/ blocks = [1 = exampleblock]
</expt>

or

<trial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=exampletext]
</trial>

- Inquisit 4 has no built-in clearscreen element. Define a <shape> set to the screen color instead:

<shape clearscreen>
/ shape = rectangle
/ size = (100%, 100%)
/ erase = false
/ color = white
</shape>

For some things, there are no Inquisit 4 compatible equivalents, in which case you're out of luck, I'm afraid. Upgrading your licenses would be the way to go then.

thank you very much for your quick and detailed reply.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search