Counting the number of times someone presses the space bar

Author
Sannesanne
Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Sannesanne - Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Hi Dave,

The script is almost done!
It counts how many times a person presses spacebar after 'picking up garbage'. A picture of garbage appears, and when you press spacebar the picture dissappears and a new one will appear in a random time interval. So sometimes the new picture appears immediately, sometimes it takes a couple of seconds. This is done witch counter.

We have included a text element in the corner of the screen which shows the number of times spacebar is pressed.

The problem is, the counter delays the moment the picture is presented, but it also delays the text element which shows the number of times spacebar is pressed. This is because they are both included in the trials.

When playing the game it is distracting that the text with the score also disappears and reappears. Would you know a solution for this, while still counting the number of times someone presses spacebar?

Thank you,

Sanne

> The problem is, the counter delays the moment the picture is presented, but it also delays the text element which shows the number of times spacebar is pressed. This is because they are both included in the trials.

I cannot comment on that because you did not share how you actually did this, i.e. the actual code. There is no reason per se why a trial cannot present one stimulus at time X and another stimulus at time Y. One need not delay the other.

> When playing the game it is distracting that the text with the score also disappears and reappears. Would you know a solution for this, while still counting the number of times someone presses spacebar?

Set the <text> element's /erase attribute to false.

Thank you! The erase attribute actually solved the problem :)

Sannesanne
Sannesanne
Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)Partner Member (814 reputation)
Hi Dave,

I am doing an online study and want to redirect people from Qualtrics to Inquisit and back to Qualtrics.
I followed the instructions I found online, but there seems to be an error.
The subjectid is coupled correctly. The problem is that when clicking the start button when Inquisit opens directly redirects you to Qualtrics.
The finish page immediately opens, without the Inquisit game actually playing.
I start to think there is something wrong in my script, but I am don't know what the problem could be.

This is the link to the Qualtrics survey: https://psychru.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/preview/SV_bCq7EvFp4xmtv25?Q_SurveyVersionID=current&Q_CHL=preview
I also attached the data files of Inquisit. The start file is the batch file "garbage_game"

Thank you in advance for your help!

Sanne

Attachments
Garbage_game.iqx (329 views, 215 bytes)
environment.iqx (381 views, 11.00 KB)
surroundings.iqx (347 views, 12.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Sannesanne - 6/15/2019
Hi Dave,

I am doing an online study and want to redirect people from Qualtrics to Inquisit and back to Qualtrics.
The subjectid is coupled correctly. The problem is that when clicking the start button when Inquisit opens directly redirects you to Qualtrics.
I start to think there is something wrong in my script, but I am don't know what the problem could be.

This is the link to the Qualtrics survey: https://psychru.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/preview/SV_bCq7EvFp4xmtv25?Q_SurveyVersionID=current&Q_CHL=preview
I also attached the data files of Inquisit. The start file is the batch file "garbage_game"

Sanne

Your batch script tries to assign conditions based on subject number:

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 2)
/file = "surroundings.iqx"
/ groupassignment = subjectnumber
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 2)
/file = "environment.iqx"
</batch>

Condition assignment is a mathematical operation, i.e. for this to work, subject IDs must be strictly numerical. Qualtrics IDs are not numerical, they're strings of letters and numbers, i.e. alphanumerical. As a consequence, no condition applies, and the batch immediately ends without any of the scripts having been run.

Change the /groupassignment method to groupnumber and select an appropriate group ID generation method in your web experiment's settings.

Sannesanne
Sannesanne
Dave - 6/17/2019
Sannesanne - 6/15/2019
Hi Dave,

Sanne

Your batch script tries to assign conditions based on subject number:

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 2)
/file = "surroundings.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 2)
/file = "environment.iqx"
</batch>

Condition assignment is a mathematical operation, i.e. for this to work, subject IDs must be strictly numerical. Qualtrics IDs are not numerical, they're strings of letters and numbers, i.e. alphanumerical. As a consequence, no condition applies, and the batch immediately ends without any of the scripts having been run.

Change the /groupassignment method to groupnumber and select an appropriate group ID generation method in your web experiment's settings.

Thank you, that solves the problem!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search