auto mouse left click after a duration.

Author
peter
Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all.
In my study participants will move a mouse over a board (think Ouija board). I need the mouse to auto left click after a set period of time (hopefully on a target object). This will end the trial and record the object clicked on (if any).  The hard bit is to to get the mouse to auto left click after a set period of time.  Can any you you lovely people help me with this please.
Many thanks. 
Peter
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
peter - 6/10/2019
Hi all.
In my study participants will move a mouse over a board (think Ouija board). I need the mouse to auto left click after a set period of time (hopefully on a target object). This will end the trial and record the object clicked on (if any).  The hard bit is to to get the mouse to auto left click after a set period of time.  Can any you you lovely people help me with this please.
Many thanks. 
Peter

There is no way to make the mouse auto-left-click. You can, however, have the trial end after a set amount of time by specifying a /timeout (if you want to specify a maximum duration) or /trialduration (if you want to specify a fixed duration). You can record the mouse's x and y coordinates /ontrialend even if there is no click, by loggin the mouse.x and mouse.y properties.

peter
peter
Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)
Dave - 6/12/2019
peter - 6/10/2019
Hi all.
Many thanks. 
Peter

There is no way to make the mouse auto-left-click. You can, however, have the trial end after a set amount of time by specifying a /timeout (if you want to specify a maximum duration) or /trialduration (if you want to specify a fixed duration). You can record the mouse's x and y coordinates /ontrialend even if there is no click, by loggin the mouse.x and mouse.y properties.

hi could you possibly be kind enough to show me how to record mouse x and y coordinates /ontrialend, as i have only ever recorded stimulus responses. 
many thanks
Peter  
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
peter - 6/24/2019
Dave - 6/12/2019
peter - 6/10/2019
Hi all.
Many thanks. 
Peter

hi could you possibly be kind enough to show me how to record mouse x and y coordinates /ontrialend, as i have only ever recorded stimulus responses. 
many thanks
Peter  

Like so.

<block exampleblock>
/ postinstructions = (end)
/ trials = [
1=exampletrial;
]
</block>

<values>
/ x = -1
/ y = -1
</values>

<trial exampletrial>
/ ontrialend = [
values.x = mouse.x;
values.y = mouse.y;
]
/ stimulusframes = [1=exampletext]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 5000
</trial>

<text exampletext>
/ items = ("This trial will last 5 seconds. Move the mouse around, the coordinates at the end of the 5 seconds will be captured.")
/ size = (80%, 40%)
</text>

<page end>
^The mouse was at the following position:
^<%values.x%> pixels horizontal & <%values.y%> pixels vertical
</page>

<data>
/ columns = (date time subject group blocknum blockcode
trialnum trialcode stimulusitem response latency correct
mouse.x mouse.y)
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

peter
peter
Dave - 6/24/2019
peter - 6/24/2019
Dave - 6/12/2019
peter - 6/10/2019
Hi all.
Many thanks. 
Peter

many thanks
Peter  

Like so.

<block exampleblock>
/ trials = [
1=exampletrial;
]
</block>

<values>
/ x = -1
/ y = -1
</values>

<trial exampletrial>
/ ontrialend = [
values.x = mouse.x;
values.y = mouse.y;
]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 5000
</trial>

<text exampletext>
/ items = ("This trial will last 5 seconds. Move the mouse around, the coordinates at the end of the 5 seconds will be captured.")
/ size = (80%, 40%)
</text>

<page end>
</page>

<data>
mouse.x mouse.y)
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

That's awesome thank you so much
peter
peter
peter - 6/29/2019
Dave - 6/24/2019
peter - 6/24/2019
Dave - 6/12/2019
peter - 6/10/2019
Hi all.
Many thanks. 
Peter

many thanks
Peter  

Like so.

<block exampleblock>
/ trials = [
1=exampletrial;
]
</block>

<values>
/ x = -1
/ y = -1
</values>

<trial exampletrial>
/ ontrialend = [
values.x = mouse.x;
values.y = mouse.y;
]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 5000
</trial>

<text exampletext>
/ size = (80%, 40%)
</text>

<page end>
</page>

<data>
mouse.x mouse.y)
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

Hi 
we are creating a Ouija board style study that will involve no mouse button clicking. We have a search trial were the mouse is moved around and then a selection trial where they receive feedback based on their mouse position. The search trial is currently being timed out at the block level (Block.move). This is not what we intended.

what I cannot seem to do is to adjust the script so that the trial ends after the mouse comes to rest for a second or two, but no button is pressed. To achieve this I have searched for some kind of an iteration counter that would allow  me to compare mouse values.x and values.y coordinates over a few iterations of the trial loop to see if they change,  then if they do not change for a given number of iterations, branch to trial.select. unfortunately, I do not seem able to get this to work.

Is this possible? if not can you please suggest another way of ending the trial.search by resting the mouse for a period of time. It would also be helpful if this function only happened after a few seconds in case there is a delay between the start of the trial and participants starting their mouse movement.
To summarise, I am aiming for trial.search to start, then after 2 seconds a mechanism is activated that means stopping the mouse movement (for about a second) results in trial.search ending and the commencement of trial.select.
I would be very appreciative for any help given.
Many thanks
Peter

<expt main>
/ blocks = [1= instructions; 2=Move; 3=select; 3=Move; 4=select; 5=Move; 6=select; 7=Move; 8=select; 9=debrief]
/onexptend = [values.completed = 1]
</expt>

<block Move>
/ trials = [1 = search]
/ timeout= (8000)
</block>

<trial search>
/ stimulusframes = [1=clearscreen, bord, viewhole]
/ ontrialbegin=[values.trialcounter = values.trialcounter + 1]
/ ontrialbegin = [picture.bord.hposition = 1px * mouse.x;picture.bord.vposition = 1px * mouse.y;]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (mousemove)
/ branch = [trial.search]
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block select>
/ trials = [1 = select]
</block>

<trial select>
/ stimulusframes = [1= Gray_Background, Black1, Black2, Black3, Black4, bord, viewhole]
/ validresponse = ( Black1, Black2, Black3, Black4)
/ recorddata = false
/ timeout= (10)
/ recorddata = true
/ ontrialend = [values.x = mouse.x; values.y = mouse.y;]
/ branch = [if (trial.select.response == "black1")trial. win]
/ branch = [if (trial.select.response == "black2")trial. lose]
/ branch = [if (trial.select.response == "black3")trial. lose]
/ branch = [if (trial.select.response == "black4")trial. win]
</trial>

Dave
Dave
peter - 7/22/2019
peter - 6/29/2019
Dave - 6/24/2019
peter - 6/24/2019
Dave - 6/12/2019
peter - 6/10/2019
Hi all.
Many thanks. 
Peter

many thanks
Peter  

Like so.

<block exampleblock>
/ trials = [
1=exampletrial;
]
</block>

<values>
/ x = -1
/ y = -1
</values>

<trial exampletrial>
/ ontrialend = [
values.x = mouse.x;
values.y = mouse.y;
]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 5000
</trial>

<text exampletext>
/ size = (80%, 40%)
</text>

<page end>
</page>

<data>
mouse.x mouse.y)
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

Hi 
we are creating a Ouija board style study that will involve no mouse button clicking. We have a search trial were the mouse is moved around and then a selection trial where they receive feedback based on their mouse position. The search trial is currently being timed out at the block level (Block.move). This is not what we intended.

what I cannot seem to do is to adjust the script so that the trial ends after the mouse comes to rest for a second or two, but no button is pressed. To achieve this I have searched for some kind of an iteration counter that would allow  me to compare mouse values.x and values.y coordinates over a few iterations of the trial loop to see if they change,  then if they do not change for a given number of iterations, branch to trial.select. unfortunately, I do not seem able to get this to work.

Is this possible? if not can you please suggest another way of ending the trial.search by resting the mouse for a period of time. It would also be helpful if this function only happened after a few seconds in case there is a delay between the start of the trial and participants starting their mouse movement.
To summarise, I am aiming for trial.search to start, then after 2 seconds a mechanism is activated that means stopping the mouse movement (for about a second) results in trial.search ending and the commencement of trial.select.
I would be very appreciative for any help given.
Many thanks
Peter

<expt main>
/ blocks = [1= instructions; 2=Move; 3=select; 3=Move; 4=select; 5=Move; 6=select; 7=Move; 8=select; 9=debrief]
</expt>

<block Move>
/ trials = [1 = search]
/ timeout= (8000)
</block>

<trial search>
/ ontrialbegin = [picture.bord.hposition = 1px * mouse.x;picture.bord.vposition = 1px * mouse.y;]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block select>
/ trials = [1 = select]
</block>

<trial select>
/ stimulusframes = [1= Gray_Background, Black1, Black2, Black3, Black4, bord, viewhole]
/ recorddata = false
/ timeout= (10)
/ recorddata = true
</trial>

Would it be possible for you to please post self-contained and runable code (i.e. please include all elements and files the code needs to actually run). Isolated code snippets are not particularly useful.

Dave
Dave

In a nutshell, I would do something like this:

<values>
/ lastx = -1
/ lasty = -1
</values>

<block example>
/ trials = [1-4 = start]
</block>

<trial start>
/ pretrialpause = 100
/ stimulusframes = [1=move]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ branch = [
trial.move_or_rest;
]
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<trial move_or_rest>
/ stimulusframes = [1=move_or_rest]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (mousemove, noresponse)
/ timeout = 2000
/ branch = [
if (trial.move_or_rest.response !=0) {
trial.move_or_rest;
} else {
values.lastx = mouse.x;
values.lasty = mouse.y;
trial.end
}
]

</trial>

<trial end>
/ stimulusframes = [1=end]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (lbuttondown)
</trial>

<text move>
/ items = ("Move the mouse.")
/ erase = false
/ size = (20%, 20%)
</text>

<text move_or_rest>
/ items = ("Move the mouse. If you stop at any point for 2 seconds, the trial sequence ends.")
/ erase = false
/ size = (20%, 20%)
</text>

<text end>
/ items = ("Mouse was rested for two seconds. The resting coordinates were <%values.lastx%>, <%values.lasty%>.")
/ erase = false
/ size = (20%, 20%)
</text>

Edited 5 Years Ago by Dave
peter
peter
Dave - 7/22/2019

In a nutshell, I would do something like this:

<values>
/ lastx = -1
/ lasty = -1
</values>

<block example>
/ trials = [1-4 = start]
</block>

<trial start>
/ pretrialpause = 100
/ stimulusframes = [1=move]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ branch = [
trial.move_or_rest;
]
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<trial move_or_rest>
/ stimulusframes = [1=move_or_rest]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (mousemove, noresponse)
/ timeout = 2000
/ branch = [
if (trial.move_or_rest.response !=0) {
trial.move_or_rest;
} else {
values.lastx = mouse.x;
values.lasty = mouse.y;
trial.end
}
]

</trial>

<trial end>
/ stimulusframes = [1=end]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (lbuttondown)
</trial>

<text move>
/ items = ("Move the mouse.")
/ erase = false
/ size = (20%, 20%)
</text>

<text move_or_rest>
/ items = ("Move the mouse. If you stop at any point for 2 seconds, the trial sequence ends.")
/ erase = false
/ size = (20%, 20%)
</text>

<text end>
/ items = ("Mouse was rested for two seconds. The resting coordinates were <%values.lastx%>, <%values.lasty%>.")
/ erase = false
/ size = (20%, 20%)
</text>

Thanks i will try that. 
Here is my code in case you still want a look. The audio files would not upload so there will be no sound feedback. Not really important as that comes in next block.
many thanks.

<defaults>
/ minimumversion = "4.0.0.0"
/ inputdevice = mouseover
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3%, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ canvasaspectratio = (4,3)
</defaults>

<values>
/ completed = 0
/ groupnumber = 0
/ response = 0
/ latencyC = 0
/ agency = 0
/ showcardinfo = true
/ age = 0
/ gender = 0
/ Qresponse = 0
/ x = -1
/ y = -1
/ trialcounter = 0
</values>

<data>
/file = "Idiomotor_Data.iqdat"
/ columns = [mouse.x mouse.y]
/separatefiles = true
</data>,

<expt main>
</expt>

<block instructions>
/ trials = [1=instructions; 2=instructions2]
</block>

<trial instructions>
/ stimulusframes = [1=IMT1; 100=continue]
/ validresponse = (continue)
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<text continue>
/ items = ("Next")
/ position = (50%, 90%)
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3%, false, false, true, false, 5, 0)
/ txcolor = blue
</text>

<trial instructions2>
/ stimulusframes = [1=IMT2; 100=start]
/ validresponse = (start)
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<picture start>
/ items = ("start_button.jpg")
/ erase = false
/ size=(200, 200)
</picture>

<text IMT1>
/ items = ("please place both hands on the planchette. Move the planchette around and observe the movment of the board through the viewing window ")
/ position = (50%, 20%)
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 2%)
/ size = (95%, 30%)
/ hjustify = center
/ valign = top
/ erase = false
</text>

<text IMT2>
/ items = ("during the experiment pleas alowe your hand to move freely but dont deliberatly control its direction.

once youare ready to statrt the experiment move the planchette over the start button and the experiment will commence")
/ position = (50%, 60%)
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 2%)
/ size = (95%, 30%)
/ hjustify = center
/ valign = top
/ erase = false
</text>
;

<block Move>
/ trials = [1 = search]
/ timeout= (8000)
</block>

<block select>
/ trials = [1 = select]
</block>

<trial search>
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<trial select>
/ recorddata = false
/ timeout= (700)
/ recorddata = true
</trial>

<trial win>
/ ontrialbegin = [trial.win.insertstimulustime(sound.Win, 100)]
/ recorddata = false
/ timeout= (1000)
</trial>

<trial lose>
/ ontrialbegin = [trial.lose.insertstimulustime(sound.lose, 100)]
/ recorddata = false
/ timeout= (1000)
</trial>

<sound Win>
/items = win
/playthrough = false
/select = noreplace
/resetinterval = 0
</sound>

<item win>
/1 = "win.wav"
</item>

<sound lose>
/items = Incorrect
/playthrough = false
/select = noreplace
/volume = -999
/resetinterval = 0
</sound>

<item Incorrect>
/1 = "lose.wav"
</item>

<picture Black1>
/ items = ("Black1.png")
/ erase = false
/ position = (10%, 10%)
/ size = (70%, 70%)
</picture>

<picture Black2>
/ items = ("Black1.png")
/ erase = false
/ position = (90%, 10%)
/ size = (70%, 70%)
</picture>

<picture Black3>
/ items = ("Black1.png")
/ erase = false
/ position = (10%, 90%)
/ size=(70%, 70%)
</picture>

<picture Black4>
/ items = ("Black1.png")
/ erase = false
/ position = (90%, 90%)
/ size=(70%, 70%)
</picture>

<picture Gray_Background>
/ items = ("Grey Background.jpg")
/ erase = false
/ position = (50%, 50%)
/ size=(200%, 200%)
</picture>

<picture viewhole>
/ items = ("Hole.png")
/ erase = false
/ size=(3000, 3000)
</picture>

<picture bord>
/ items = ("Board.jpg")
/ erase = false
/ size=(1000, 1000)
</picture>

<block debrief>
/ trials = [1=debrief]
</block>

<trial debrief>
/ stimulustimes = [1=debrief, finnish]
/ validresponse = (finnish)
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<text debrief>
/items = ("All done thanks!!

We were looking into peoples’ ability to automatically move therir limbe as a part of somthing called the idiomoteor efffect,
how this this process informs our sense of having causal responsibility for our actions outcomes at a nerological level.

Thanks again for participating.")
/fontstyle = ("Arial", 3.00%)
/txcolor = (blue)
/position = (50%, 50%)
/size = (50%, 50%)
</text>

<text finnish>
/ items = ("Finish")
/ position = (50%, 90%)
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3%, false, false, true, false, 5, 0)
/ txcolor = blue
</text>

Attachments
Black Backgraound.jpg (232 views, 21.00 KB)
Black1.png (264 views, 199 bytes)
Board.jpg (237 views, 101.00 KB)
Grey Background.jpg (268 views, 12.00 KB)
Hole.png (222 views, 1.00 KB)
start_button.jpg (233 views, 79.00 KB)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search