How to choose random batches?

Author
Sean L.
Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

I have a question in Inquisit 5.

I would like to choose 2 random batches from total 6, but if you see the below code, it shows 2 random studies, but those 2 studies stick together ((1),(2) / (3),(4) / (5),(6)).

How can I randomize them and choose 2 batches? Any help for what to try is greatly appreciated!

<batch>
/ file = "Intro.iqx"
</batch>

// IAT

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 3)
/groupassignment = random
/file = "New_IAT(1).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(2).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(3).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(4).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (3 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(5).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (3 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(6).iqx"
</batch>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Sean L. - 6/28/2019
Hi all,

I would like to choose 2 random batches from total 6, but if you see the below code, it shows 2 random studies, but those 2 studies stick together ((1),(2) / (3),(4) / (5),(6)).

How can I randomize them and choose 2 batches? Any help for what to try is greatly appreciated!

<batch>
/ file = "Intro.iqx"
</batch>

// IAT

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(1).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(2).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(3).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(4).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (3 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(5).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (3 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(6).iqx"
</batch>

You can't do it that way. You need to create a single <batch> element running your 6 scripts, set the script selectionmode in that <batch> to random, and then use <batch> parameters to terminate the <batch> after 2 random scripts have been run ( https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/batchparameters.htm ). I've attached a small example illustrating how this would look in practice.

Attachments
stop_after_two.zip (230 views, 3.00 KB)
Sean L.
Sean L.
Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)
Dave - 6/28/2019
Sean L. - 6/28/2019
Hi all,

<batch>
/ file = "Intro.iqx"
</batch>

// IAT

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(1).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(2).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(3).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(4).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (3 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(5).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (3 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(6).iqx"
</batch>

You can't do it that way. You need to create a single <batch> element running your 6 scripts, set the script selectionmode in that <batch> to random, and then use <batch> parameters to terminate the <batch> after 2 random scripts have been run ( https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/batchparameters.htm ). I've attached a small example illustrating how this would look in practice.

It works! Thank you so much.

However, one thing that I noticed is that when the script is aborted, the Inquisit program stops and only shows a white window. Force stop (control + Q) is not working, and system quit (alt+command+esc) is the only way out and it makes me run the Inquisit program every time. I found this problem even in the sample code you attached. Would you mind giving any clue that I can solve this problem?
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Sean L. - 6/28/2019
Dave - 6/28/2019
Sean L. - 6/28/2019
Hi all,

<batch>
/ file = "Intro.iqx"
</batch>

// IAT

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(1).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(2).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(3).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(4).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (3 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(5).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (3 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(6).iqx"
</batch>

However, one thing that I noticed is that when the script is aborted, the Inquisit program stops and only shows a white window. Force stop (control + Q) is not working, and system quit (alt+command+esc) is the only way out and it makes me run the Inquisit program every time. I found this problem even in the sample code you attached. Would you mind giving any clue that I can solve this problem?

This sounds like your Inquisit Lab installation is outdated. Please make sure you have the latest release installed (5.0.14.0; available at https://www.millisecond.com/download/ as usual).

Sean L.
Sean L.
Dave - 6/28/2019
Sean L. - 6/28/2019
Dave - 6/28/2019
Sean L. - 6/28/2019
Hi all,

<batch>
/ file = "Intro.iqx"
</batch>

// IAT

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(1).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(2).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(3).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(4).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (3 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(5).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (3 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(6).iqx"
</batch>

This sounds like your Inquisit Lab installation is outdated. Please make sure you have the latest release installed (5.0.14.0; available at https://www.millisecond.com/download/ as usual).

Hmm.. still have a problem even after the update. Maybe we need to try it with web Inquisit. I'll come back to the thread if there is a same issue in web Inquisit. Thank you Dave. I appreciate your help!
Dave
Dave
Sean L. - 6/28/2019
Dave - 6/28/2019
Sean L. - 6/28/2019
Dave - 6/28/2019
Sean L. - 6/28/2019
Hi all,

<batch>
/ file = "Intro.iqx"
</batch>

// IAT

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(1).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(2).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(3).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(4).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (3 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(5).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (3 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(6).iqx"
</batch>

Hmm.. still have a problem even after the update. Maybe we need to try it with web Inquisit. I'll come back to the thread if there is a same issue in web Inquisit. Thank you Dave. I appreciate your help!

Hmm, that's strange. I'm unable to reproduce this under 5.0.14.0, but I know that a previous version had that issue (I unfortunately don't recall which one off the top of my head).

Sean L.
Sean L.
Dave - 6/28/2019
Sean L. - 6/28/2019
Dave - 6/28/2019
Sean L. - 6/28/2019
Dave - 6/28/2019
Sean L. - 6/28/2019
Hi all,

<batch>
/ file = "Intro.iqx"
</batch>

// IAT

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(1).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (1 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(2).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(3).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (2 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(4).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (3 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(5).iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/subjects = (3 of 3)
/file = "New_IAT(6).iqx"
</batch>

Hmm, that's strange. I'm unable to reproduce this under 5.0.14.0, but I know that a previous version had that issue (I unfortunately don't recall which one off the top of my head).

Hello Dave, I found the same problem in my colleague's laptop (white blank page) even if he updated to latest version (5.0.14.0). In web Inquisit, we didn't see the white page, but the study reverted immediately back to this screen (see the below). We got a same problem even if we put extra sections after that. Please let us know if you have any idea. Thank you.

Dave
Dave
Sean L. - 7/1/2019

Hello Dave, I found the same problem in my colleague's laptop (white blank page) even if he updated to latest version (5.0.14.0). In web Inquisit, we didn't see the white page, but the study reverted immediately back to this screen (see the below). We got a same problem even if we put extra sections after that. Please let us know if you have any idea. Thank you.

I don't understand what "everted immediately back to this screen (see the below). We got a same problem even if we put extra sections after that." is supposed to mean in this context. Please clarifiy.

Sean L.
Sean L.
Dave - 7/2/2019
Sean L. - 7/1/2019

I don't understand what "everted immediately back to this screen (see the below). We got a same problem even if we put extra sections after that." is supposed to mean in this context. Please clarifiy.

So this is a normal end survey page in the Web Inquisit. But after the study above, it automatically goes back to the very first page.
Dave
Dave
Sean L. - 7/2/2019

So this is a normal end survey page in the Web Inquisit. But after the study above, it automatically goes back to the very first page.

You said the "study immediately reverts [to this page]" -- what does "immediately" mean? Does the study run at all or do you click start, nothing happens, and the study goes back to the start page?

You also said "We got a same problem even if we put extra sections after that." What extra sections? After what? Do you mean redirecting to some external page? Or do you mean further <batch> elements?

Could you please clarify the above? Perhaps a link to the actual study would be helpful, too. Thanks.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search