Spacing options in radiobutton element

Author
beginner
Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone!

It's my first time programming an experiment with Inquisit.
I would like to use a surveypage with several radiobutton items on it, with the options aligned horizontally. That works fine.
However, unfortunately the names of my options keep getting cut off (albeit me using line breaks to make them shorter).

Is there any way to have the options spaced so the full option-labels are visible? Changing the width of the item under the "size"-option or omitting the "size"-option does not seem to have the desired effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
beginner - 7/12/2019
Hi everyone!

I would like to use a surveypage with several radiobutton items on it, with the options aligned horizontally. That works fine.
However, unfortunately the names of my options keep getting cut off (albeit me using line breaks to make them shorter).

Is there any way to have the options spaced so the full option-labels are visible? Changing the width of the item under the "size"-option or omitting the "size"-option does not seem to have the desired effect.

Can you give an example, please.

beginner
beginner
Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)Associate Member (293 reputation)
Dave - 7/12/2019
beginner - 7/12/2019
Hi everyone!

Hi Dave!

I am using the follwing code: / options=("1~nstimme nicht zu", "2~n", "3~n", "4~n", "5~n", "6~n", "7~nstimme zu")

The first "zu" gets cut off, even if I put another line break into the code.
I suspect this has to do with me using "horizontalequal" and Inquisit using the mean length of the options to determine the space for each option, is that true?

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
beginner - 7/12/2019
Dave - 7/12/2019
beginner - 7/12/2019
Hi everyone!

Hi Dave!

I am using the follwing code: / options=("1~nstimme nicht zu", "2~n", "3~n", "4~n", "5~n", "6~n", "7~nstimme zu")

I suspect this has to do with me using "horizontalequal" and Inquisit using the mean length of the options to determine the space for each option, is that true?

This is what I see

when I run e.g.

<radiobuttons example>
/ options=("1~nstimme nicht zu", "2~n", "3~n", "4~n", "5~n", "6~n", "7~nstimme zu")
/ orientation = horizontalequal
</radiobuttons>

<surveypage mypage>
/ questions = [1=example]
/ showpagenumbers = false
/ showquestionnumbers = false
</surveypage>

So I must be missing something else about your setup. Could you please post the complete code for at least two of your radiobuttons elements, the surveypage, and a screenshot of what the result of that code looks like on your system.

beginner
beginner
Dave - 7/12/2019
beginner - 7/12/2019
Dave - 7/12/2019
beginner - 7/12/2019
Hi everyone!

Hi Dave!

This is what I see

when I run e.g.

<radiobuttons example>
/ options=("1~nstimme nicht zu", "2~n", "3~n", "4~n", "5~n", "6~n", "7~nstimme zu")
</radiobuttons>

<surveypage mypage>
</surveypage>

So I must be missing something else about your setup. Could you please post the complete code for at least two of your radiobuttons elements, the surveypage, and a screenshot of what the result of that code looks like on your system.

Hi Dave,

here you go. As it works on your computer, might this have something to do with my screen resolution?

Attachments
screenshot.jpg (237 views, 53.00 KB)
Support.iqx (253 views, 1.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
beginner - 7/12/2019
Dave - 7/12/2019
beginner - 7/12/2019
Dave - 7/12/2019
beginner - 7/12/2019
Hi everyone!

Hi Dave!

This is what I see

when I run e.g.

<radiobuttons example>
</radiobuttons>

<surveypage mypage>
</surveypage>

Hi Dave,

here you go. As it works on your computer, might this have something to do with my screen resolution?

Thanks for the script. The following should do the trick:

Defaults
<defaults >
/ fontstyle = ("Open Sans", 2.96%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ canvassize = (100%,100%)
/ halign = center
</defaults>

<radiobuttons rb1>
/ caption="Here goes the caption text for the first radio button."
/ options=("1~nstimme nicht zu", "2~n~t~t", "3~n~t~t", "4~n~t~t", "5~n~t~t", "6~n~t~t", "7~nstimme zu")
/ optionvalues = ("1", "2", "3", "4","5", "6","7")
/required = true
/size = (500, 20)
/orientation = horizontalequal
</radiobuttons>

<radiobuttons rb2>
/ caption="Here goes the caption text for the second radio button."
/ options=("1~nstimme nicht zu", "2~n~t~t", "3~n~t~t", "4~n~t~t", "5~n~t~t", "6~n~t~t", "7~nstimme zu")
/required = true
/size = (500, 20)
</radiobuttons>

<surveypage radiobs>
/ questions = [1=rb1;2=rb2]
/ nextbuttonposition = (80%,95%)
</surveypage>

<survey radio>
/ pages = [
1=radiobs]
/ responsefontstyle = ("Open Sans", 1.25%, false, true, false, false, 5, 1)
/ itemfontstyle = ("Open Sans", 1.70%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ itemspacing = 5%
/ showbackbutton = false
/ finishlabel = "Weiter"
/ nextlabel = "Weiter"
/ navigationbuttonsize = (150px, 50px)
</survey>

beginner
beginner
Dave - 7/12/2019
beginner - 7/12/2019
Dave - 7/12/2019
beginner - 7/12/2019
Dave - 7/12/2019
beginner - 7/12/2019
Hi everyone!

Hi Dave!

This is what I see

when I run e.g.

<radiobuttons example>
</radiobuttons>

<surveypage mypage>
</surveypage>

Hi Dave,

Defaults
<defaults >
/ halign = center
</defaults>

<radiobuttons rb1>
/required = true
/size = (500, 20)
</radiobuttons>

<radiobuttons rb2>
/required = true
/size = (500, 20)
</radiobuttons>

<surveypage radiobs>
</surveypage>

<survey radio>
/ pages = [
1=radiobs]
/ itemspacing = 5%
/ showbackbutton = false
/ finishlabel = "Weiter"
/ nextlabel = "Weiter"
</survey>

Thank you so much for looking into this, I greatly appreciate your fast support.
In the meantime, I have figured out that using two or three "tabs" (which I assume is the same as writing ~t) also works, whereas blank spaces are ignored.

Dave
Dave
beginner - 7/12/2019
Dave - 7/12/2019
beginner - 7/12/2019
Dave - 7/12/2019
beginner - 7/12/2019
Dave - 7/12/2019
beginner - 7/12/2019
Hi everyone!

Hi Dave!

This is what I see

when I run e.g.

<radiobuttons example>
</radiobuttons>

<surveypage mypage>
</surveypage>

Hi Dave,

Defaults
<defaults >
/ halign = center
</defaults>

<radiobuttons rb1>
/required = true
/size = (500, 20)
</radiobuttons>

<radiobuttons rb2>
/required = true
/size = (500, 20)
</radiobuttons>

<surveypage radiobs>
</surveypage>

<survey radio>
/ pages = [
1=radiobs]
/ itemspacing = 5%
/ showbackbutton = false
/ finishlabel = "Weiter"
/ nextlabel = "Weiter"
</survey>

Thank you so much for looking into this, I greatly appreciate your fast support.
In the meantime, I have figured out that using two or three "tabs" (which I assume is the same as writing ~t) also works, whereas blank spaces are ignored.

Yes, ~t is the special character for a tab, so those are indeed the same thing / lead to the same result. ( https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/language/specialchars.htm )

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search