The block order

Author
missnatalien
Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
I have a question regarding the order of the blocks. With seven blocks, blocks 1, 2, and 5 are practice and a person just has either attributes or targets to match it to the proper category. The blocks 3&4 can be either compatible or incompatible, same with 6&7.
My question is: does the order matter? Does it matter what blocks go first? Compatible or incompatible?
I have only found information that for some subjects blocks 1, 3 & 4 are switched with blocks 5, 6 & & (Greenwald, Nosek, and Banaji, 2003). It is done so to reduce the effect of order. My question is: do I do that manually? Or does the program do it on its own?
If it has to be done manually, is there any research regarding the effect of order in the IAT? I was trying to find something but unfortunately, I haven't found anything.

I will be forever grateful for some answers!!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
missnatalien - 7/30/2019
Hello,
I have a question regarding the order of the blocks. With seven blocks, blocks 1, 2, and 5 are practice and a person just has either attributes or targets to match it to the proper category. The blocks 3&4 can be either compatible or incompatible, same with 6&7.
My question is: does the order matter? Does it matter what blocks go first? Compatible or incompatible?
I have only found information that for some subjects blocks 1, 3 & 4 are switched with blocks 5, 6 & & (Greenwald, Nosek, and Banaji, 2003). It is done so to reduce the effect of order. My question is: do I do that manually? Or does the program do it on its own?
If it has to be done manually, is there any research regarding the effect of order in the IAT? I was trying to find something but unfortunately, I haven't found anything.

I will be forever grateful for some answers!!

Block order in the IAT scripts is counterbalanced between subjects.

Odd group numbers receive compatible first,

<expt>
/ preinstructions = (iatintro)
/subjects = (1 of 2)
/groupassignment = groupnumber
/ blocks = [
1=targetcompatiblepractice;
2=attributepractice;
3=compatibletest1;
4=compatibletestinstructions;
5=compatibletest2;
6=targetincompatiblepractice;
7=incompatibletest1;
8=incompatibletestinstructions;
9=incompatibletest2;
10=summary;
]
/onexptend = [values.completed = 1]
</expt>

even group numbers receive incompatible first:

<expt>
/ preinstructions = (iatintro)
/subjects = (2 of 2)
/groupassignment = groupnumber
/ blocks = [
1=targetincompatiblepractice;
2=attributepractice;
3=incompatibletest1;
4=incompatibletestinstructions;
5=incompatibletest2;
6=targetcompatiblepractice;
7=compatibletest1;
8=compatibletestinstructions;
9=compatibletest2;
10=summary;
]
/onexptend = [values.completed = 1]
</expt>

Order effects have been investigated, see e.g. https://faculty.washington.edu/agg/IATmaterials/PDFs/NGB2005.PSPB.pdf (you should read the entire "Understanding and Using the Implicit Association Test" series of articles).

missnatalien
missnatalien
Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
So I do put them manually by changing the group number.
Thank you for your answer, as you could see I was going through it (the article I mentioned is one from the series you mentioned) but thanks for pointing me into the right direction! I have found the information I needed about the order in the fourth article from the series (in case anyone else is looking for is as well!)
Thank you!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search