Problems with Inquisit Web

Author
Libra
Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi, I am using Inquisit 4 web to collect data for my study. However, there is a problem with the program. After a survey page with checkbox questions, the watermark of checkboxes still remain on the screen till the end of the experiment (please see the attached picture). It can be quite distracting to participants. I was wondering if there is a way to erase the watermark. Thanks.

Attachments
IMG_2274.jpg (296 views, 70.00 KB)
Libra
Libra
Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)Respected Member (438 reputation)
And another issue is that, for some participants, pressing the space bar as instructed did not lead them to the next page. I have checked similar topics and it seems that we are suggested to close other webpages and applications. I have asked participants to do so but it still didn't work for them. They have also tried to use different browsers. I wonder how to solve this problem. This is really disappointing and is interfering with data collection... Hope to get your help on this. 
asali
asali
Associate Member (75 reputation)Associate Member (75 reputation)Associate Member (75 reputation)Associate Member (75 reputation)Associate Member (75 reputation)Associate Member (75 reputation)Associate Member (75 reputation)Associate Member (75 reputation)Associate Member (75 reputation)
Hello,  I'd just like to echo that we are also experiencing the same issue with checkboxes not disappearing after they are presented once in the experiment when using Inquisit 4 on the web.  This seems to be OS specific. It does not happen in Mac OS 10.13, but the issue occurs on at least OS 10.14. I've tried a number of different solutions (including that proposed here: https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic26780.aspx) and I can't make it disappear.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
asali - 4/1/2020
Hello,  I'd just like to echo that we are also experiencing the same issue with checkboxes not disappearing after they are presented once in the experiment when using Inquisit 4 on the web.  This seems to be OS specific. It does not happen in Mac OS 10.13, but the issue occurs on at least OS 10.14. I've tried a number of different solutions (including that proposed here: https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic26780.aspx) and I can't make it disappear.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If it's an OS version incompatiblity as you suggest, it's unlikely that there's a fix, I'm afraid. The Inquisit 4 code base is past its update cycle (the final version, 4.0.10.0 was released at the end of 2015, the initial release of OSX 10.14 dates almost three years after that.)

Djo
Djo
Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)
Hello, everyone,
in an online web study I have a very similar problem. The built-in checkboxes and radiobuttons are partly not fillable for mac-users and remain in the background even after the execution. Is there no solution for this problem?
Or would it be possible to replace this data query with something else where no problems occur at the moment?

Any help would be very appreciated.
Best regards,
Djo
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Djo - 4/22/2020
Hello, everyone,
in an online web study I have a very similar problem. The built-in checkboxes and radiobuttons are partly not fillable for mac-users and remain in the background even after the execution. Is there no solution for this problem?
Or would it be possible to replace this data query with something else where no problems occur at the moment?

Any help would be very appreciated.
Best regards,
Djo

No, there is no solution. If you only require a single response (instead of select all that apply) to the given question, you can try replacing the <checkboxes> with either <radiobuttons> or <dropdown>.
seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)
The problem is due to capability changes in recent releases of Mac OS X that affect older applications such as Inquisit 4.

This is fixed in latest releases of Inquisit, so another solution is to upgrade to Inquisit 6. 

-Sea
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search