Conditional branching in batch files

Author
charlotterae
New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My study has a number of exclusion criteria. I start the study by first checking for these exclusion criteria, in a file called ‘demographics.iqx’.

I then want to use their report to either continue or abort the study.

For example, if a participant responds ‘yes’ to the question ‘do you have a sleep disorder’, I want to skip over all the questionnaires in my study, and take them to a ‘goodbye’ page with info about sleep disorders.

If they respond ‘no’, I want to present them with my sequence of .iqx files.

i.e. something like

<batch>
/ file = “demographics.iqx”
if radiobuttons.sleepdisorders.response == 1 in the demographics_summary.iqdat then
/ file = “goodbye.iqx”
</batch>

<batch>
if radiobuttons.sleepdisorders.response == 2 in the demographics_summary.iqdat then
/ file = “questionnaire1.iqx”
/ file = “questionnaire2.iqx”
/ file = “questionnaire3.iqx”
</batch>

Is there some sort of equivalent to <branch> or <skip> that you can use in a batch file?

With many thanks

Charlotte Rae

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
charlotterae - 5/7/2020
My study has a number of exclusion criteria. I start the study by first checking for these exclusion criteria, in a file called ‘demographics.iqx’.

For example, if a participant responds ‘yes’ to the question ‘do you have a sleep disorder’, I want to skip over all the questionnaires in my study, and take them to a ‘goodbye’ page with info about sleep disorders.

i.e. something like

<batch>
if radiobuttons.sleepdisorders.response == 1 in the demographics_summary.iqdat then
/ file = “goodbye.iqx”
</batch>

<batch>
if radiobuttons.sleepdisorders.response == 2 in the demographics_summary.iqdat then
</batch>

Is there some sort of equivalent to <branch> or <skip> that you can use in a batch file?

With many thanks

Charlotte Rae

You need to work with batch parameters and values ( https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/batchparameters.htm ) and then use script.abort(false) /onexptbegin in the various scripts to prevent them from running. See this example: https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic23921.aspx#23934

charlotterae
charlotterae
New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)
Dave - 5/7/2020
charlotterae - 5/7/2020

i.e. something like

<batch>
/ file = “goodbye.iqx”
</batch>

<batch>
</batch>

With many thanks

Charlotte Rae

You need to work with batch parameters and values ( https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/batchparameters.htm ) and then use script.abort(false) /onexptbegin in the various scripts to prevent them from running. See this example: https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic23921.aspx#23934

Dave - 5/7/2020
charlotterae - 5/7/2020

i.e. something like

<batch>
/ file = “goodbye.iqx”
</batch>

<batch>
</batch>

With many thanks

Charlotte Rae

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your advice – I have given this a try (attached Batch and .iqx files), but running into 2 difficulties:

1)    It seems the parameters.sleepdis is not being recognised within ‘ontrialbegin’ in each .iqx file, because they all execute, regardless of the answer I give in demographics.iqx. I also tried ‘onblockbegin’ but this gives the same result. Do I maybe need to use ‘expressions’ within ‘onblockend’ in demographics.iqx, instead of ‘values’?
2)    When attempting to add in age criteria e.g.
if (parameters.age !>30) script.abort(true)
it throws ‘parameter.age invalid’. I suspect its because I use a textbox in demographics to get age, and the ontrial begin expects a numeric parameter. Is there a way to convert text to age?

Can you help with both these?

Best

Charlotte

Attachments
dave_forum_bundle.zip (195 views, 30.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
charlotterae - 5/7/2020
Dave - 5/7/2020
charlotterae - 5/7/2020

i.e. something like

<batch>
/ file = “goodbye.iqx”
</batch>

<batch>
</batch>

With many thanks

Charlotte Rae

Dave - 5/7/2020
charlotterae - 5/7/2020

i.e. something like

<batch>
/ file = “goodbye.iqx”
</batch>

<batch>
</batch>

With many thanks

Charlotte Rae

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your advice – I have given this a try (attached Batch and .iqx files), but running into 2 difficulties:

1)    It seems the parameters.sleepdis is not being recognised within ‘ontrialbegin’ in each .iqx file, because they all execute, regardless of the answer I give in demographics.iqx. I also tried ‘onblockbegin’ but this gives the same result. Do I maybe need to use ‘expressions’ within ‘onblockend’ in demographics.iqx, instead of ‘values’?
it throws ‘parameter.age invalid’. I suspect its because I use a textbox in demographics to get age, and the ontrial begin expects a numeric parameter. Is there a way to convert text to age?

Best

Charlotte

You need to add the relevant parameters to each script as detailed in the example:

and stuff like this

<survey age>
/ pages = [
    1 = age;
]
/ onblockbegin = [
    if (parameters.age !18<>30) script.abort(true)
    if (parameters.sleepdis !>=31) script.abort(false)
    if (parameters.sleepdis !<=17) script.abort(false)
]

simply isn't valid syntax. I'm honestly not sure what these are supposed to do.

Dave
Dave
Dave - 5/7/2020
charlotterae - 5/7/2020
Dave - 5/7/2020
charlotterae - 5/7/2020

i.e. something like

<batch>
/ file = “goodbye.iqx”
</batch>

<batch>
</batch>

With many thanks

Charlotte Rae

Dave - 5/7/2020
charlotterae - 5/7/2020

i.e. something like

<batch>
/ file = “goodbye.iqx”
</batch>

<batch>
</batch>

With many thanks

Charlotte Rae

Hi Dave,

Best

Charlotte

You need to add the relevant parameters to each script as detailed in the example:

and stuff like this

<survey age>
/ pages = [
    1 = age;
]
/ onblockbegin = [
]

Attached below is a set of files; this represents my best guess of how you want things to work.
Attachments
best guess fix.zip (188 views, 26.00 KB)
charlotterae
charlotterae
Dave - 5/7/2020
Dave - 5/7/2020
charlotterae - 5/7/2020
Dave - 5/7/2020
charlotterae - 5/7/2020

i.e. something like

<batch>
/ file = “goodbye.iqx”
</batch>

<batch>
</batch>

With many thanks

Charlotte Rae

Dave - 5/7/2020
charlotterae - 5/7/2020

i.e. something like

<batch>
/ file = “goodbye.iqx”
</batch>

<batch>
</batch>

With many thanks

Charlotte Rae

Hi Dave,

Best

Charlotte

and stuff like this

<survey age>
/ pages = [
    1 = age;
]
/ onblockbegin = [
]

Attached below is a set of files; this represents my best guess of how you want things to work.

Hi Dave,

Great, thanks - this is working.

I am hitting one more snag - at the termination of the final .iqx (whether the WHO5 surveypage or 'you don't meet inclusion criteria, goodbye' page), a blank white screen appears, with no way to exit other than Command+Q (I am on a mac). All the data are recorded, there's just no way to exit the white screen. What am I missing in either my batch or the .iqx files so that when the participant presses Finish (specified in e.g. survey.age.finishlabel), the window closes?

Charlotte
Dave
Dave
charlotterae - 5/12/2020
Dave - 5/7/2020
Dave - 5/7/2020
charlotterae - 5/7/2020
Dave - 5/7/2020
charlotterae - 5/7/2020

i.e. something like

<batch>
/ file = “goodbye.iqx”
</batch>

<batch>
</batch>

With many thanks

Charlotte Rae

Dave - 5/7/2020
charlotterae - 5/7/2020

i.e. something like

<batch>
/ file = “goodbye.iqx”
</batch>

<batch>
</batch>

With many thanks

Charlotte Rae

Hi Dave,

Best

Charlotte

and stuff like this

<survey age>
/ pages = [
    1 = age;
]
/ onblockbegin = [
]

Hi Dave,

Great, thanks - this is working.

I am hitting one more snag - at the termination of the final .iqx (whether the WHO5 surveypage or 'you don't meet inclusion criteria, goodbye' page), a blank white screen appears, with no way to exit other than Command+Q (I am on a mac). All the data are recorded, there's just no way to exit the white screen. What am I missing in either my batch or the .iqx files so that when the participant presses Finish (specified in e.g. survey.age.finishlabel), the window closes?

Charlotte

I don't know, not seeing that. I suspect your Inquisit 5 installation may be outdated, so may you want to check that first and update it to 5.0.14.0 if it isn't that already.

https://www.millisecond.com/download/
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search