Help Get rid of delayed recall in memory tasks

Author
HilaryFarmer
Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,
I really need some help, as I am using two memory tasks on Inquisit: 1. The Face Name Association Task, 2. The Groton Maze Task.
Both these tasks are available from the Inquisit library.
They both include a 30min delay in the middle of them, and then a delayed recall section at the end.
Could someone help me edit the syntax/ help me find a way to get rid of this section of both tasks. 

Really appreciate any help!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Hi there,
I really need some help, as I am using two memory tasks on Inquisit: 1. The Face Name Association Task, 2. The Groton Maze Task.
They both include a 30min delay in the middle of them, and then a delayed recall section at the end.
Could someone help me edit the syntax/ help me find a way to get rid of this section of both tasks. 

In the Face Name Association Task, there is a parameter called "recallDelay" as detailed in the script's user manual: https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/v6/facenameassociativememoryexam/facenameassociativememoryexam/facenameassociativememoryexam.manual

You can set that parameter's value to your liking to reduce or eliminate the 30 minute delay entirely.

Similarly, in the Groton Maze Task (Inquisit 6 version), there is a parameter called "delayDuration" which you can set according to your preferences:
https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/v6/grotonmazetest/grotonmazetest/grotonmazetest/grotonmazetest.manual
The Inquisit 5 version of the task doesn't have this paramter and does not enforce any fixed delay.

HilaryFarmer
HilaryFarmer
Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)Associate Member (66 reputation)
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Hi there,

In the Face Name Association Task, there is a parameter called "recallDelay" as detailed in the script's user manual: https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/v6/facenameassociativememoryexam/facenameassociativememoryexam/facenameassociativememoryexam.manual

You can set that parameter's value to your liking to reduce or eliminate the 30 minute delay entirely.

Similarly, in the Groton Maze Task (Inquisit 6 version), there is a parameter called "delayDuration" which you can set according to your preferences:
https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/v6/grotonmazetest/grotonmazetest/grotonmazetest/grotonmazetest.manual
The Inquisit 5 version of the task doesn't have this paramter and does not enforce any fixed delay.

Thanks so much for your quick response!
How do I actually go about doing this? Do I download the face name association test and Groton maze task in inquist 5 and edit there and save it?
When I download the syntax it comes up with a different script to the one that you have sent? So I'm not really sure how to actually go about editing it and saving it.

Thanks for you help,
Hilary
HilaryFarmer
HilaryFarmer
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Hi there,

How do I actually go about doing this? Do I download the face name association test and Groton maze task in inquist 5 and edit there and save it?
When I download the syntax it comes up with a different script to the one that you have sent? So I'm not really sure how to actually go about editing it and saving it.

Thanks for you help,
Hilary

Or do I upload it as a webscript in my account and edit there somehow?
Also if I want to get rid of the delay and any delayed recall questions after it, what do I edit the code to? Do I delete that line of code? or make it = 0 or something?
Thanks again for you help!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Hi there,

Thanks for you help,
Hilary

You donwload the version you need from the library. If you're going to use Inquisit 5, download the Inqusit 5 version. You then open the file you downloaded in Inquisit Lab. Read through the user manual at the top. Then change the settings you want to change and save the file.

Once you're done with all of that, you can upload the scripts to your Inquisit Web account.
Edited 4 Years Ago by Dave
HilaryFarmer
HilaryFarmer
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Hi there,

Thanks for you help,
Hilary

You donwload the version you need from the library. If you're going to use Inquisit 5, download the Inqusit 5 version. You then open the file you downloaded in Inquisit Lab. Read through the user manual at the top. Then change the settings you want to change and save the file.

Once you're done with all of that, you can upload the scripts to your Inquisit Web account.

Hi dave,
Do you think you would be able to send me an example of what I would change the code to, in order to get rid of the delay and the delayed recall questions.
I have been going through the scripts and trying to edit it, but I'm having no luck. :(
Dave
Dave
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Hi there,

Thanks for you help,
Hilary

Hi dave,
Do you think you would be able to send me an example of what I would change the code to, in order to get rid of the delay and the delayed recall questions.
I have been going through the scripts and trying to edit it, but I'm having no luck. :(

https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost28988.aspx

There's an example is in the first response up this thread. The explanation and portion you have to edit is highlighted right there.

HilaryFarmer
HilaryFarmer
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Hi there,

Thanks for you help,
Hilary

Hi dave,

The example is in the first response up this thread.
Thanks Dave, I'm just unsure what to change to code to in order to make it work.
For instance would I do this?
When I have played around with changes errors come up and it does not run.

faceStudy:                        the duration (in ms) assigned for each face-study trial (each trial presents 4 face images associations) (default: 8000ms)
/nameFaceLearning:                the duration (in ms) assigned for each name-face learning trial (each trial presents 4 name-face associations)(default: )
/occupationFaceLearning:        the duration (in ms) assigned for each occupation-face learning trial (each trial presents 4 name-face associations)
/recallDelay:                    the delay duration (in ms) of the delayed recall conditions (0 ms)

/nameSize:                        size of name/occupation label during study time in proportion to canvas height (default: 5%)
/faceSize1:                        size of face photos during the study phase (default: 30%)
/faceSize2:                        size of face photo during the cued recall testing phases (default: 50%)
</usermanual>

**************************************************************************************************************
**************************************************************************************************************
    EDITABLE PARAMETERS: change editable parameters here

<parameters>
/randomPairings = false

/faceStudy = 8000
/nameFaceLearning = 20000
/occupationFaceLearning = 20000
/recallDelay = 0

Dave
Dave
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Hi there,

Thanks for you help,
Hilary

Hi dave,

Thanks Dave, I'm just unsure what to change to code to in order to make it work.

faceStudy:                        the duration (in ms) assigned for each face-study trial (each trial presents 4 face images associations) (default: 8000ms)
/nameFaceLearning:                the duration (in ms) assigned for each name-face learning trial (each trial presents 4 name-face associations)(default: )
/occupationFaceLearning:        the duration (in ms) assigned for each occupation-face learning trial (each trial presents 4 name-face associations)
/recallDelay:                    the delay duration (in ms) of the delayed recall conditions (0 ms)

/nameSize:                        size of name/occupation label during study time in proportion to canvas height (default: 5%)
/faceSize1:                        size of face photos during the study phase (default: 30%)
/faceSize2:                        size of face photo during the cued recall testing phases (default: 50%)
</usermanual>

<parameters>
/randomPairings = false

/faceStudy = 8000
/recallDelay = 0

That's exactly what you need to change, yes, and will not cause errors.
HilaryFarmer
HilaryFarmer
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Dave - 5/12/2020
HilaryFarmer - 5/12/2020
Hi there,

Thanks for you help,
Hilary

Hi dave,

</usermanual>

<parameters>
/randomPairings = false

/faceStudy = 8000
/recallDelay = 0

That's exactly what you need to change, yes, and will not cause errors.

Thanks very much Dave, that helped me get rid of the delay!
However there are still questions which follow the delay that I want to get rid of. How would I go about this, where is the syntax I would need to edit / delete? :)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search