Limit Web participants to only desktop machine?

Author
davidsmarch
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I can't figure out if there is a way to limit people to only desktop machines. That is, I want to ensure people aren't using mobile devices. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this in the wizard (oversight), but is there in the code? I have people coming over from Prolific but there's hardly a sure way to ensure they are using desktop machines on that end and I don't want to waste money paying people whose data is useless. 

Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
davidsmarch - 5/29/2020
I can't figure out if there is a way to limit people to only desktop machines. That is, I want to ensure people aren't using mobile devices. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this in the wizard (oversight), but is there in the code? I have people coming over from Prolific but there's hardly a sure way to ensure they are using desktop machines on that end and I don't want to waste money paying people whose data is useless. 

Thanks!

You can prevent a script from running on mobile devices by using some conditional logic to trigger the script.abort() function /onexptbegin. Something like this:

<expt>
/ onexptbegin = [
if (computer.platform != "win" && computer.platform != "mac") {
script.abort();
};
]
</expt>

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v6/html/language/functions/abort.htm
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v6/html/language/properties/platform.htm

Alternatively, you can also check whether the system in question has a physical keyboard, which would rule out mobile / touch-screen devices:

<expt>
/ onexptbegin = [
if (computer.haskeyboard == false) {
script.abort();
};
]
</expt>

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v6/html/language/properties/haskeyboard.htm

davidsmarch
davidsmarch
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Sounds like an excellent solution. I'm a first timer to Inquisit so still learning. I'm using a batch to present several different files. Where would the code you presented go within this code? 

<batch>
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
/ file = "consent.iqx"
/ file = "thr_neg_bf.iqx"
/ file = "thr_neg_ws.iqx"
/ file = "podt.iqx"
/ file = "demographics.iqx"
/ file = "debrief.iqx"
</batch>
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
davidsmarch - 5/29/2020
Sounds like an excellent solution. I'm a first timer to Inquisit so still learning. I'm using a batch to present several different files. Where would the code you presented go within this code? 

<batch>
/ file = "consent.iqx"
/ file = "podt.iqx"
/ file = "debrief.iqx"
</batch>

I would insert a small script called e.g. "systemcheck.iqx" that just contains

<expt>
/ onexptbegin = [
script.abort(true);
};
]
</expt>

at the very start of the <batch>:

<batch>
/ file = "systemcheck.iqx"
/ file = "consent.iqx"
/ file = "podt.iqx"
/ file = "debrief.iqx"
</batch>

This, then, should terminate the entire batch immediately if the system is not eligible.
davidsmarch
davidsmarch
Dave - 5/29/2020
davidsmarch - 5/29/2020

<batch>
/ file = "consent.iqx"
/ file = "podt.iqx"
/ file = "debrief.iqx"
</batch>

I would insert a small script called e.g. "systemcheck.iqx" that just contains

<expt>
/ onexptbegin = [
script.abort(true);
};
]
</expt>

at the very start of the <batch>:

<batch>
/ file = "systemcheck.iqx"
/ file = "consent.iqx"
/ file = "podt.iqx"
/ file = "debrief.iqx"
</batch>

This, then, should terminate the entire batch immediately if the system is not eligible.

I'll give this a shot! Thanks for the quick and helpful replies.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search