How to have additional html instructions during the experiment?

Author
danielderbyshire
Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello all

I am attempting to merge two different IATs into the same .iqt so that respondents do one and then the other.

I would like to have a second set of instructions after the first IAT. Is this possible? (I note they are called preinstructions so I'm sceptical).

Am I right in thinking having the instructions as an image file and then creating a block that just displays the image is a work around (though not as flexible clearly)?

I hope I've explained what I am trying to do well and thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer. 

Kind regards,

Daniel
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
danielderbyshire - 6/12/2020
Hello all

I am attempting to merge two different IATs into the same .iqt so that respondents do one and then the other.

I would like to have a second set of instructions after the first IAT. Is this possible? (I note they are called preinstructions so I'm sceptical).

Am I right in thinking having the instructions as an image file and then creating a block that just displays the image is a work around (though not as flexible clearly)?

I hope I've explained what I am trying to do well and thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer. 

Kind regards,

Daniel

Every <block> element has the capability to present pre- and postinstructions, so you can definitely do that without any issue whatsoever. Just insert a new instructions block after the first IAT and have that present the respective instruction pages (page or htmlpage elements).

Generally see https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/multiplescripts.htm

I'll note that typically running the two IATs back to back via a <batch> script instead of merging them into a single script is the easier and more convenient option.
danielderbyshire
danielderbyshire
Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)Associate Member (113 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 6/12/2020
Hello all

Kind regards,

Daniel

Every <block> element has the capability to present pre- and postinstructions, so you can definitely do that without any issue whatsoever. Just insert a new instructions block after the first IAT and have that present the respective instruction pages (page or htmlpage elements).

Generally see https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/multiplescripts.htm

I'll note that typically running the two IATs back to back via a <batch> script instead of merging them into a single script is the easier and more convenient option.

Many thanks for the reply Dave. I don't have any spare web licenses at the moment so need to merge them really because I can't upload any more scripts. 

How do I tell a block to use an html instructions page? If I can do that then I can just have a block that is just the html instructions page in between the normal IAT blocks. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dave - 6/12/2020
Hello all

Kind regards,

Daniel

Many thanks for the reply Dave. I don't have any spare web licenses at the moment so need to merge them really because I can't upload any more scripts. 

How do I tell a block to use an html instructions page? If I can do that then I can just have a block that is just the html instructions page in between the normal IAT blocks. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

> I don't have any spare web licenses at the moment so need to merge them really because I can't upload any more scripts.

You don't need more than one license to use <batch> scripts and run several scripts in a row -- that all works just fine under a single license.

> How do I tell a block to use an html instructions page?

You define the <htmlpage> element in the script and then you put a /preinstructions attribute in the block referencing that element by name. It works in the exact same way as the other instruction pages that are already in the script.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search