Problem with finish page, TurkPrime, potentially linked to batch scripts

Author
elobot10
Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Yesterday I attempted to run an Inquisit study via TurkPrime/Cloud Research, which I have been doing without issue for over a year.

In spite of the script working perfectly fine when I tested it both on my own computer and via the "Open Launch Page" function on the Millisecond website, I have received emails from MTurkers saying the experiment was taking them straight to the finish page without having them do the experiment. Additionally, it looks like the finish page displays a different completion code from the one that I have logged both on TurkPrime and in the Inquisit script. On TurkPrime all 9 assignments have been filled and flagged as 'pending' due to people entering the wrong completion code, and on the Millisecond website it looks like no data has been recorded.

Could I get some information about what might be going on? Some other details that might be helpful:

My settings on Millisecond for this study are identical to what I have used in the past without issue:
- use default launch page
- pariticipant IDs generated from URL parameter 'workerId'; group ID determined sequentially, 4 different groups
-redirect to default web finish page; show TurkPrime confirmation code

I have the following code in my Inquisit script (I hope that it is clear that I have redacted the true confirmation code):
<text finishpage>
/items = ("http://www.millisecond.com/web/finish5.aspx?IQConfirmationCode=CONFIRMATIONCODEREDACTED")
</text>

<expt Spencil_Fpen>
/onexptbegin = [
    defaults.finishpage = text.finishpage.item.1
]
/ onexptbegin = [
    values.condition = 1
]
/subjects = (1 of 2)
/ blocks = [1=block.generalIntro; 2=block.Assign_Spencil_Fpen; 3=block.instructions_Spencil_Fpen; 4=block.PracticeSpencil_Fpen;
5=block.Spencil_Fpen; 6=block.TSpencil_Fpen; 7=block.end ]
/onexptend = [
    values.completed = 1
]
/groupassignment = groupnumber
</expt>

The only thing that has changed since previous studies I've run through this platform is that I'm using a batch script to assign to the different conditions. Could this have something to do with it?

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 4)
/file = "study1_semantic_selfM_friendC.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (3 of 4)
/file = "study1_semantic_selfC_friendM.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (4 of 4)
</batch>

Thanks!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
elobot10 - 8/25/2020
Yesterday I attempted to run an Inquisit study via TurkPrime/Cloud Research, which I have been doing without issue for over a year.

In spite of the script working perfectly fine when I tested it both on my own computer and via the "Open Launch Page" function on the Millisecond website, I have received emails from MTurkers saying the experiment was taking them straight to the finish page without having them do the experiment. Additionally, it looks like the finish page displays a different completion code from the one that I have logged both on TurkPrime and in the Inquisit script. On TurkPrime all 9 assignments have been filled and flagged as 'pending' due to people entering the wrong completion code, and on the Millisecond website it looks like no data has been recorded.

Could I get some information about what might be going on? Some other details that might be helpful:

My settings on Millisecond for this study are identical to what I have used in the past without issue:
- pariticipant IDs generated from URL parameter 'workerId'; group ID determined sequentially, 4 different groups

I have the following code in my Inquisit script (I hope that it is clear that I have redacted the true confirmation code):
<text finishpage>
/items = ("http://www.millisecond.com/web/finish5.aspx?IQConfirmationCode=CONFIRMATIONCODEREDACTED")
</text>

<expt Spencil_Fpen>
/onexptbegin = [
]
/ onexptbegin = [
    values.condition = 1
]
/subjects = (1 of 2)
/ blocks = [1=block.generalIntro; 2=block.Assign_Spencil_Fpen; 3=block.instructions_Spencil_Fpen; 4=block.PracticeSpencil_Fpen;
/onexptend = [
    values.completed = 1
]
</expt>

The only thing that has changed since previous studies I've run through this platform is that I'm using a batch script to assign to the different conditions. Could this have something to do with it?

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (3 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (4 of 4)
</batch>

Thanks!

> The only thing that has changed since previous studies I've run through this platform is that I'm using a batch script to assign to the different conditions. Could this have something to do with it?

Yes. The finish page needs to be set in the <batch> script then, as described here: https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost28501.aspx
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Dave - 8/25/2020
elobot10 - 8/25/2020

<text finishpage>
</text>

<expt Spencil_Fpen>
/onexptbegin = [
]
/ onexptbegin = [
    values.condition = 1
]
/subjects = (1 of 2)
/onexptend = [
    values.completed = 1
]
</expt>

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (3 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (4 of 4)
</batch>

Thanks!

> The only thing that has changed since previous studies I've run through this platform is that I'm using a batch script to assign to the different conditions. Could this have something to do with it?

Yes. The finish page needs to be set in the <batch> script then, as described here: https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost28501.aspx

One more thing of importance: Contrary to your previous <expt>-based study, your <batch> attempts to assing conditions based on subject ID, not group ID. The ID thus needs to be numerical, since condition assignment is a mathematical operation. Now, MTurk worker IDs aren't numerical, and that is why your participants aren't assigned any condition and go straight to finish -- no condition can be assigned. You should amend your <batch> to assign based on numerical group ID, just like your previous study did.

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 4)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (3 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (4 of 4)
</batch>

elobot10
elobot10
Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)Partner Member (746 reputation)

Great, thank you so much!

Just to clarify -- in addition to setting the groupassignment and finish page in my batch elements, should I also remove them from my expt elements in the other scripts?
Dave
Dave
elobot10 - 8/26/2020

Great, thank you so much!

Just to clarify -- in addition to setting the groupassignment and finish page in my batch elements, should I also remove them from my expt elements in the other scripts?

If those <expt> elements in the scripts themselves are supposed to perform any condition assignment, then no. If they are not supposed to perform any condition assignment, then yes. In other words: The answer entirely depends on what you want the <expt>s to do or not do -- I don't have that information.

elobot10
elobot10

Yes, the <expt> scripts perform condition assignment. I get that this means that they should have the groupassignment parameter, but do I also need to assign the finishpage there as well?
Dave
Dave
elobot10 - 8/27/2020

Yes, the <expt> scripts perform condition assignment. I get that this means that they should have the groupassignment parameter, but do I also need to assign the finishpage there as well?

The finishpage assignment is performed by the batch script. Any finishpage assignments performed in the <expt>s won't hurt, however, they just won't have any effect. I.e. you can leave them in, as long as the actual finishpage setting logic is present in the batch script.

elobot10
elobot10
Ah, makes sense. Thanks!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search