Inquiry - Creating Batches

Author
dillonk
Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all, 
I am new to Inquisit (and programming overall) and have a couple of questions. I am hoping to create batches of tests for participants to complete in a sequence. It is my understanding that the batch element should be defined in a separate script file, so I created the below script. When I try to validate the script, I get the same error for the attributes in the script- "missing double quotes". I modeled my batches after the Inquisit 6 help page and keeping hitting the same wall. Here is some background info that may help: there are 4 different sessions of inquisit tasks for participants to complete. For the most part, all participants will complete the same tasks, except for the second session. One group will complete an additional task, the MID. If anyone could provide some guidance on how to edit the script, it would be greatly appreciated! 

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ file = “stroopwithcontrolkeyboard.iqx”
/ file = “dotprobetask.exp”

/ sessions = (1 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ file = “stopsignaltask2019.iqx”
/ file = “monetaryincentivedelaytask.iqx”
/ groups = (1 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (2 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ file = “stopsignaltask2019.iqx”
/ sessions = (3 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (4 of 4)
</batch>
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
dillonk - 9/16/2020
Hi all, 
I am new to Inquisit (and programming overall) and have a couple of questions. I am hoping to create batches of tests for participants to complete in a sequence. It is my understanding that the batch element should be defined in a separate script file, so I created the below script. When I try to validate the script, I get the same error for the attributes in the script- "missing double quotes". I modeled my batches after the Inquisit 6 help page and keeping hitting the same wall. Here is some background info that may help: there are 4 different sessions of inquisit tasks for participants to complete. For the most part, all participants will complete the same tasks, except for the second session. One group will complete an additional task, the MID. If anyone could provide some guidance on how to edit the script, it would be greatly appreciated! 

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”

/ sessions = (1 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (1 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (2 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (3 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (4 of 4)
</batch>

If you look at the code in Inquisit, notice that the quotes are curly.

Inquisit does not accept these as valid double quotes, it expects plain ones, i.e. " and ".as in

notice, too, the syntax highlighting when you use the correct double-quotes.
dillonk
dillonk
Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)
Dave - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
Hi all, 

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”

/ sessions = (1 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (1 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (2 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (3 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (4 of 4)
</batch>

Inquisit does not accept these as valid double quotes, it expects plain ones, i.e. " and ".as in

Hi Dave! Thanks for your help, this is very helpful. After fixing this, I received a couple more errors. Attached is a screen shot of what I'm encountering: 

I checked the file paths and they are all correct. Do you have any guidance with this issue? 
Thanks for your help!

dillonk
dillonk
dillonk - 9/16/2020
Dave - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
Hi all, 

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”

/ sessions = (1 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (1 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (2 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (3 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (4 of 4)
</batch>

Hi Dave! Thanks for your help, this is very helpful. After fixing this, I received a couple more errors. Attached is a screen shot of what I'm encountering: 

I checked the file paths and they are all correct. Do you have any guidance with this issue? 
Thanks for your help!

Attachments
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
dillonk - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
Dave - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
Hi all, 

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”

/ sessions = (1 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (1 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (2 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (3 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (4 of 4)
</batch>

Thanks for your help!

The files aren't where the batch scripts expects them to be. It's looking for them on your desktop, specifically C:\Users\dillonk\Desktop.

The screenshot of the errors further suggests that you forgot to include the file extension in your <batch> elements' /file attributes, i.e. you specified something like

/ file = "stroopwithcontrolkeyboard"

instead of the correct

/ file = "stroopwithcontrolkeyboard.iqx"

dillonk
dillonk
Dave - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
Dave - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
Hi all, 

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”

/ sessions = (1 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (1 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (2 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (3 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (4 of 4)
</batch>

Thanks for your help!

The files aren't where the batch scripts expects them to be. It's looking for them on your desktop, specifically C:\Users\dillonk\Desktop.

The screenshot of the errors further suggests that you forgot to include the file extension in your <batch> elements' /file attributes, i.e. you specified something like

instead of the correct

Hi Dave!

Thanks for your help. I've made these changes. However, when I try to run this batch script (called penguin), I get the following error message (See attached). I'm stumped because the script is validated and I've saved the script in the same spot as the rest of my Inquisit files. Any guidance there will be appreciated
Attachments
Dave
Dave
dillonk - 9/17/2020
Dave - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
Dave - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
Hi all, 

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”

/ sessions = (1 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (1 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (2 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (3 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (4 of 4)
</batch>

Thanks for your help!

instead of the correct

Hi Dave!

Thanks for your help. I've made these changes. However, when I try to run this batch script (called penguin), I get the following error message (See attached). I'm stumped because the script is validated and I've saved the script in the same spot as the rest of my Inquisit files. Any guidance there will be appreciated

You're using the /directory attribute in your <batch> elements, which is not applicable to web experiments. You need to remove it
dillonk
dillonk
Dave - 9/17/2020
dillonk - 9/17/2020
Dave - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
Dave - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
Hi all, 

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”

/ sessions = (1 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (1 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (2 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (3 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (4 of 4)
</batch>

Thanks for your help!

instead of the correct

Hi Dave!

You're using the /directory attribute in your <batch> elements, which is not applicable to web experiments. You need to remove it

Oh, ok. Thank you! That helped, but when I tried to run it, I got this error message (see attached). In the batch script, the stroop file is written like this:
<batch>

I uploaded the stroop from the test library to the online experiment, so I'm a bit confused. Thanks again for your help!

Attachments
Dave
Dave
dillonk - 9/17/2020
Dave - 9/17/2020
dillonk - 9/17/2020
Dave - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
Dave - 9/16/2020
dillonk - 9/16/2020
Hi all, 

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”

/ sessions = (1 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (1 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ groups = (2 of 2)

/ sessions = (2 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (3 of 4)
</batch>

<batch>
/ directory = “PENGuIN”
/ sessions = (4 of 4)
</batch>

Thanks for your help!

instead of the correct

Hi Dave!

Oh, ok. Thank you! That helped, but when I tried to run it, I got this error message (see attached). In the batch script, the stroop file is written like this:
<batch>

I uploaded the stroop from the test library to the online experiment, so I'm a bit confused. Thanks again for your help!

The batch script you have uploaded here

https://scripts.millisecond.com/dillonk/penguin/penguin.iqx

is referencing a files called "stopsignaltask2019.iqx" and "monetaryincentivedelaytask (1).iqx":

The files you have uploaded aren't called that:

They're called "stopsignaltask.iqx" and "monetaryincentivedelaytask.iqx"

dillonk
dillonk
Thanks so much for your help! I have another question. In our study, we don't have an experiment per say in terms of millisecond tasks; our different experimental groups complete the same tasks at each study visit. So, I need the script to stop running after each session. I have it written so that each visit is its own session, however, when I try it out, the next batch starts when I complete the first one. Is there a way to do this in web? I understand that in web, it keeps track of ID, so we don't have to enter session number. I'm wondering if this is something that I'd specify in the batch script or the test script itself. 

Thanks again for your continued help!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search