Opening media from a github repo

Author
factitious
Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Dave,

I have another question: I'm trying to run scripts hosted on the Millisecond server to play videos from a public github repo but I get the errors below. From what I understand the files are world-readable in a public github repo so this should work, am I wrong? If so, could you potentially suggest another server for hosting video files for my experiment? 

Errors:
    "Failed to load media from '/var/folders/6w/qtkq3n592ddd_1mlz51w5wxc0000gn/T/#myvideofilename#'! Error: Cannot Open"
AND
   "Unable to the load media file '/var/folders/6w/qtkq3n592ddd_1mlz51w5wxc0000gn/T/#myvideofilename#'.mov'."

So I gather that Inquisit tries to save the videos as temporary files/cache and then either fails to download them properly or doesn't have the appropriate permissions to access files in var/folders/? 
Do you have any ideas as to what's happening or how to fix it? 

Thank you again,
Raul

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
factitious - 10/5/2020
Hi Dave,

I have another question: I'm trying to run scripts hosted on the Millisecond server to play videos from a public github repo but I get the errors below. From what I understand the files are world-readable in a public github repo so this should work, am I wrong? If so, could you potentially suggest another server for hosting video files for my experiment? 

Errors:
    "Failed to load media from '/var/folders/6w/qtkq3n592ddd_1mlz51w5wxc0000gn/T/#myvideofilename#'! Error: Cannot Open"
AND
   "Unable to the load media file '/var/folders/6w/qtkq3n592ddd_1mlz51w5wxc0000gn/T/#myvideofilename#'.mov'."

So I gather that Inquisit tries to save the videos as temporary files/cache and then either fails to download them properly or doesn't have the appropriate permissions to access files in var/folders/? 

Thank you again,
Raul

At a minimum you need to use the "raw" github URL; you'll want to check with github first though, since hotlinking like that may violate their terms of service.

factitious
factitious
Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)Associate Member (148 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 10/5/2020
factitious - 10/5/2020
Hi Dave,

Errors:
AND

Thank you again,
Raul

At a minimum you need to use the "raw" github URL; you'll want to check with github first though, since hotlinking like that may violate their terms of service.

Thank you, that worked!

I checked, and while it's not encouraged I don't believe it violates their terms of service. We're not dealing with huge amounts of data so hopefully shouldn't be an issue for anyone.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search