Visual Analogue Scale

Author
fm323
Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Dave,

Is it possible in Inquisit 5 to implement Visual Analogue Scales? If so, I could really use some help putting them in my code. For my study, I would like to put them in to measure the person's current anxiety level via a 1-10 scale. In my study, there are 6 video clips which the participants watch (one after every 5 trials), and it's after each individual clip that the participant would complete the VAS ("How anxious are you feeling right now, in this moment? (1 being LOW anxiety, 10 being HIGH)").
So, there would be 6 VAS in total, one after the video clip has played all the way through, but before the next 5 trials (if that makes sense). Any help you provide would be super useful! I've also attached my code if it helps. If you have questions about the code, let me know. Thanks! 
Attachments
neutral v5.iqx (199 views, 31.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
fm323 - 11/26/2020
Hi Dave,

Is it possible in Inquisit 5 to implement Visual Analogue Scales? If so, I could really use some help putting them in my code. For my study, I would like to put them in to measure the person's current anxiety level via a 1-10 scale. In my study, there are 6 video clips which the participants watch (one after every 5 trials), and it's after each individual clip that the participant would complete the VAS ("How anxious are you feeling right now, in this moment? (1 being LOW anxiety, 10 being HIGH)").
So, there would be 6 VAS in total, one after the video clip has played all the way through, but before the next 5 trials (if that makes sense). Any help you provide would be super useful! I've also attached my code if it helps. If you have questions about the code, let me know. Thanks! 

If you want to keep things simple, use a <surveypage> with a <slider> as your visual analguie scale. Otherwise, see https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost2446.aspx re. how to build a VAS using standard <trial> and <shape> elements.

fm323
fm323
Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)
Dave - 11/26/2020
fm323 - 11/26/2020
Hi Dave,

If you want to keep things simple, use a <surveypage> with a <slider> as your visual analguie scale. Otherwise, see https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost2446.aspx re. how to build a VAS using standard <trial> and <shape> elements.

Thanks! I'm just having trouble specifying when the VAS is shown - how do I make it so that each VAS is only shown after each clip?
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
fm323 - 11/26/2020
Dave - 11/26/2020
fm323 - 11/26/2020
Hi Dave,

Thanks! I'm just having trouble specifying when the VAS is shown - how do I make it so that each VAS is only shown after each clip?

From the showvideo trial, /branch to the surveypage with the slider. From the surveypage, /branch to the init trial.

<trial showvideo>
/ stimulusframes = [1=videoclip]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 1000
/ branch = [
    surveypage.anxiety;
]

</trial>

<surveypage anxiety>
/ questions = [1=anxiety_slider]
/ showpagenumbers = false
/ showquestionnumbers = false
/ branch = [
    trial.init;
]
</surveypage>

<slider anxiety_slider>
/ caption = "How anxious are you feeling right now, in this moment?"
/ range = (1,10)
/ labels = ("LOW", "HIGH")
/ slidersize = (50%, 20%)
/ position = (25%, 40%)
/ required = true
</slider>
fm323
fm323
Dave - 11/26/2020
fm323 - 11/26/2020
Dave - 11/26/2020
fm323 - 11/26/2020
Hi Dave,

From the showvideo trial, /branch to the surveypage with the slider. From the surveypage, /branch to the init trial.

<trial showvideo>
/ stimulusframes = [1=videoclip]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 1000
/ branch = [
    surveypage.anxiety;
]

</trial>

<surveypage anxiety>
/ questions = [1=anxiety_slider]
/ showpagenumbers = false
/ showquestionnumbers = false
/ branch = [
    trial.init;
]
</surveypage>

<slider anxiety_slider>
/ caption = "How anxious are you feeling right now, in this moment?"
/ range = (1,10)
/ labels = ("LOW", "HIGH")
/ slidersize = (50%, 20%)
/ position = (25%, 40%)
/ required = true
</slider>

Dave, you're the best. Thank you for the help!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search